velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

I commute to town daily on the Oregon Coast, plenty of hills and descents. My current gear ratio is 46t/14t. Although I never have a problem mashing hills or riding in general. Sometimes I find it difficult to stop and start. I notice most of the riders on Velospace and my friends ride with a larger rear cog. I am looking for an all around ratio, that still has a bit of resistance. I don't like peddling franticly. I am fairly new to pista/fixed gear bicycles. But I prefer the unison between myself and the bicycle. So any recommendations will help me tremendously. Also, any suggestions for a set of tires? Currently riding Zaffiros and was looking to bulk up possibly?, I don't really skid unless necessary.

Grazie!
    • CommentAuthorChris V
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2011

I have 46/17 and I like it. You should switch to a 15 or 16 cog to make a noticeable difference.
    I ride 48x16...Your basic ratio. 14 is kind of odd imo, but if you dont want to change both cog and chainring id go with 46/16 or 17. I just got a new chainring in the mail today, going to 53x16. I ride a Zaffiro 23 in the front and a randonneur 28 rear. I feel that the smaller/thinner tires make a hell of a lot of difference in speed. id go with 23 front and 25 rear. Just make sure you know your skid patches and all that jazz. tell me how it goes =).
    • CommentAuthorChris V
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2011

Posted By: ChadNishidaI ride 48x16...Your basic ratio. 14 is kind of odd imo, but if you dont want to change both cog and chainring id go with 46/16 or 17. I just got a new chainring in the mail today, going to 53x16. I ride a Zaffiro 23 in the front and a randonneur 28 rear. I feel that the smaller/thinner tires make a hell of a lot of difference in speed. id go with 23 front and 25 rear. Just make sure you know your skid patches and all that jazz. tell me how it goes =).

He says he doesn't really skid, so I don't think he should worry about skid patches when deciding on his gear ratio.
    Really hard to ask others this question...as its your muscles and heart doing the work. You'll have to just try a few to see what works best for you, and as you get stronger, change them around again.

Hills and descents are the problem. You'll need less gear inches for the hills, but then spin crazy on the way down. More gear inches so you can descend better, and you won't be able to get up it. Again...will just take playing around to find what works best for you.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2011

maybe you would slow down easier if you had foot retention.
    • CommentAuthortrigzz

try 46x17
    One of the employees at the shop I go to recommended Continental? Gator skin/Grand Prix/Super? I decided on Randonneur tires, Since my first set of tires were Viitoria. And one of my friends is going to give me a rear cog. 17t to be exact. And one more question, if I do replace my current rear cog with a larger size am I going to pedal more rapidly?

Thank you for all of your help.
    • CommentAuthorChris V

Posted By: FrankSeneseOne of the employees at the shop I go to recommended Continental? Gator skin/Grand Prix/Super? I decided on Randonneur tires, Since my first set of tires were Viitoria. And one of my friends is going to give me a rear cog. 17t to be exact. And one more question, if I do replace my current rear cog with a larger size am I going to pedal more rapidly?

Yeah you will have to peddle faster than you would on a cog with less teeth.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: Chris V
    Posted By: FrankSeneseif I do replace my current rear cog with a larger size am I going to pedal more rapidly?

Specifically, if you add teeth to the cog or subtract teeth from the chainring, you will have to pedal more revolutions per minute to travel (i.e., rotate the wheel) the same distance. Either you pedal a faster cadence to go the same MPH, or you pedal the same cadence to go slower.
    • CommentAuthorChris V

Posted By: eaglerock
    Posted By: Chris V
    Posted By: FrankSeneseif I do replace my current rear cog with a larger size am I going to pedal more rapidly?

Specifically, if you add teeth to the cog or subtract teeth from the chainring, you will have to pedal more revolutions per minute to travel (i.e., rotate the wheel) the same distance. Either you pedal a faster cadence to go the same MPH, or you pedal the same cadence to go slower.

Thanks for making me look bad :( haha jk. But yeah what eaglerock said!
    • CommentAuthorveggie

pedal*
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Conversely, if you add teeth to the chainring (input) or drop teeth from the cog (output), you will get greater speed for the same cadence, unless your muscles tear.

small chainring/big cog = spinning
    big chainring/small cog = mashing
    • CommentAuthorveggie

• CommentAuthoreaglerock

I don't get it. Why did Jeff Goldblum challenge him to drag?
    :20 = bouncingboobies
    The crankset/chainring has yet to be replaced.. Which I don't really have a problem with, the size is fine. I think 17t would work? the new cog is free so I can always go back to my original, yet bizarre? 14t if the new ratio doesn't prevail.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2011

Posted By: the rabbimaybe you would slow down easier if you had foot retention.
    Maybe I am just a dumbass and have no clue how to skid, although I am starting to really pick it up. I think a new ratio is just what I need. Especially if that will enable me to skid easier (Emergencies) I don't wanna kill myself to try and save myself.. New tires should help. Is a new crankset necessary?
    Rabbi- Foot retention? Explain?

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.