velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorBenM
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2011

Guys,

I'm looking to set up a nice wheelset for city riding (LA City potholes!!) potentially on a MASH. I was wondering if anyone has any feedback/experience with Araya rims? I'm hoping to use low flange dura ace hubs.

So, which Araya model would be best? 28H or 32H?

Any help would be appreciated.
    If you are worried about potholes, 32 hole would be your best bet between the two. more spokes = stronger wheel, and less likely to get out of true. you really cannot go wrong with 36 hole rims though. are you dead set on Araya's? Velo orange's PBP rim is a nice strong double walled rim at a decent price point at just 58 bucks. i have a 36 hole version up front and it has stayed true through the most intense potholes. just my opinion though. I'm sure if you got the Araya in the 32 hole you would be just fine.
    • CommentAuthorroot
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2011

i ride la and implying that our potholes are anything more than average is exaggerated, its not the pot holes you should be worried bout here...it's the drivers.

never heard of araya but i'd suggest 32 or, stronger yet, a 36 in the rear and depending on your size and weight, a 32/28 in the front.
    • CommentAuthorLegislator

Seriously no one has heard of Araya!?!?! They probably make all of the rims for velo orange, and have been around for quite awhile.

http://www.araya-kk.co.jp/rim/product.htm <------- Here is their current catalog. Of what they make now, looks like its the AR-713 or the RC-540 if you want a clincher. If you want to pay a grip, go find some NOS Super Aero's, which are probably what velocity copied to make the deep v, except that Araya SA's are wicked light for how deep they are, and polished like a mirror.

If it was me, I'd go with the RC540, but with 36H Dura-Ace LF hubs 4x with butted Sapim spokes and nipples, which would be both baller and classy.
    • CommentAuthorstalag13
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2011 edited

Posted By: LegislatorSuper Aero's, which are probably what velocity copied to make the deep v, except that Araya SA's are wicked light for how deep they are

I'm guessing they're weaker than Deep V's too then? Weight's gotta come out from somewhere...

depending on heavy you are, you can get away with much lower spoke counts. I'm riding 24h front, 28h rear around Seattle, which has some wrecked streets from continual rain. But I'm also 135 on any given day, no more than 155 with my backpack fully loaded. If you're a lighter rider, go for a lower spoke count. If you're a clydesdale, go 36h 3x front and back.
    • CommentAuthorBenM

I definitely want to go classy, not so much baller, and for performance. I also really want to avoid those velocity wheels. I know everyone and their mom has a MASH, buy I at least want me bike to bike to look some what different than these LA hipsters.

RC540 look like a lock right now. Although, I did research Velo Orange PBP and they're not bad.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

h+son tb14s. only answer.
    • CommentAuthorBenM

I think those tb14's are heavier then araya and/or VO orange.
    • CommentAuthorvelocipete

last time i checked they were lighter, which influenced my buying decision.

i might be wrong here.
    • CommentAuthoronionskin

no 28's for the street, those will be some classy looking wheels for sure, love low-flange hubs.
    >>jealous.
    • CommentAuthorFit4Life
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2011

I'be been looking for rims for a wheel build project. What I'm finding is manufacturers like Araya proudly display their wares, but they are only available in Asia, or a very small selection as part of an OEM wheelbuild. The same observations go for hubs. There might be a niche market opportunity for a small distributor in the US.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2011

Posted By: BenMI think those tb14's are heavier then araya and/or VO orange.
    h+sons are about 40g heavier than the VO pbp rims. but they are also 23mm wide, double eyeleted, and welded seams. well worth 0.15lbs/set.
    I would recommend velocity aero's (not referring to aeroheat or aerohead). Low profile. Very very sturdy. Not a "new" product and has been on the market for years with good reviews. And both aesthetically and mechanically advantaged...strength = dome > triangle > box.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2011

aeros are probably the least durable out of the offerings from velocity.
    • CommentAuthorjamesbooty3
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2011 edited

Posted By: the rabbiaeros are probably the least durable out of the offerings from velocity.

And what? The deep v's or b43 are the best?? HAHAHAHAHA!!! Please...have you ever even owned aero's?
    • CommentAuthorparkman14
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2011

You can never go wrong with VeloOrange. The shop I work at carries all of it, their fenders, tires, rims, cranks, everything are unbeatable! why the hell do you care about a miniscule weight difference in the city? Araya's are dope and have come on anything from Cinelli's and other Campy equipped bikes, to your beater mountain bike.
    I still don't understand why people are still going for looks and weight over practicality and functionality. Do your research, take the advice, but most of all look around at shops or just around town for bikes with some of these rims? Nothing beats personal stories or experiences
    • CommentAuthorparkman14

Also, the TB14's look baller.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

Posted By: jamesbooty3
    Posted By: the rabbiaeros are probably the least durable out of the offerings from velocity.

And what? The deep v's or b43 are the best?? HAHAHAHAHA!!! Please...have you ever even owned aero's?
    destroyed aeros, riding aeroheads now.
    • CommentAuthorlancefan22
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2011

TB14s laced to some older Phils would be a bomb proof street set-up. but if youre set on dura ace, then get em. both wheelsets would be cool, and tough as hell
    • CommentAuthorBenM
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2011

This question should probably be on thread but do you guys prefer low flange or high flange for street riding?

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.