velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

So today I was riding my conversion, realizing it sucks and that im done with fixed for a while and want to try gears out. What's a good road bike on a low budget? It doesnt have to be fancy.
    • CommentAuthorayyyyy
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2011

What kind of budget are we talking about?
    • CommentAuthorroot

always the fiddle, never the fiddler
    • CommentAuthorq4short2
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2011 edited

Diddo
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Jesus, go browse craigslist
    • CommentAuthoriliketoes

De-convert?

Used deraileur, downtube shifters, and a different rear wheel shouldn't be too difficult to find. Depending on your local cl/lbs situation you may need to just order a set of brakes (I'm assuming you will need something with longer reach) and drill your frame yourself for the slightly wider bolt diameter on modern brakes. New cables...
    Fuck it, or you could just order one of those internally geared hubs and go from there.
    How much money? How far do you ride? What kind of hills?
    $400, i just ride around some hills but nothing to big i just feel like a road bike seems more resonable.
    • CommentAuthorroot

for $400 i'd just find a frame that fits and piece that sucka together or maaaaaaaaaaaaaybe go the bikesdirect route. i doubt you find anything to write home about for $400 completed...even in the used market.

i have the motobecane mirage (not pictured on my profile) and it's got decent parts on it for what it is and they sell new for $400. alu frame, shimano brake shifters derailleurs , and plenty of gears but i'm definitely not a fan of the drivetrain :shrug:
    • CommentAuthortypeDvorak
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2011

erm, you can get a LOT of used bike for 400.
    I bought a '87 Centurion Le Mans in beautiful shape for $225, and I even paid too much for it, so $400 will buy you damn near anything pre-1995 Japanese steel
    why not just reconvert your conversion?

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.