velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorxdesolatex
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2011

anyone know what kind of frame this is?

I'll have better pictures soon, but can anyone tell?
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2011 edited

Nervex Pro headlugs, which could be a lot of things.

Some bigger English framebuilders used them, like Raleigh, Carlton, Holdsworth, Bob Jackson, Jack Taylor; the normal fashion for smaller English framebuilders in that period (say, 1955-1980) was to use handcut lugs. They're more common with French and french-influenced builders (like the Belgians and the Swiss), both big and small. Peugeot's PX-10 and Motobecane's Grand Jubilee had them in some years; most of the better-known builders had a model with Nervex Pro near the top of their lineup - the lugs are dressy-looking.

In the late '60s/early '70s, Schwinn used Nervex Pro lugs on the Paramount, their top-end road frameset.

Many frames with Nervex Pro head and seatlugs do not have the matching BB shell, and they often have different fork crowns. The early '70s Raleigh International has Nervex head/seatlugs/BB shell, but has a simpler-looking Vagner fork crown. Nervex lugs were pricy, so framebuilders tended to use better-grade tubing, like Reynolds 531. I own two road framesets with Nervex Pro lugs: a 1971 Raleigh International (Worksop, England), and an early '70s Follis 472 (Lyon, France); both have double-butted 531.

ID questions: Can we get photos of the BB shell, the seat cluster and the fork crown? What's the threading on the BB and the headset? Are there any holes in the headtube for a badge? Those stays are pretty chunky-looking...
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2011

Need to see the top tube/seat tube/seat stay juncture, and the bottom bracket to make an identification. Knowing where the serial # appears and if there is any letter prefix before the numbers will help too.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2011 edited

Posted By: SkidMarkNeed to see the top tube/seat tube/seat stay juncture, and the bottom bracket to make an identification. Knowing where the serial # appears and if there is any letter prefix before the numbers will help too.

And the fork dropouts/track ends. Are there any manufacturer's stamps?
    • CommentAuthorErkinsky
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2011 edited

As I was researching this myself, I came accross this thread... Its funny cuz the its the exact frame that I picked up last weekend. Either way I would also like to find out more details about it. I've dug up tons of pictures on Nervex lugged frames but nothing that would be exact copy. Maybe some of you bike gurus will know. Bridge is not drilled for brakes, neither is the frok crown
    thanks in advance
    here are the pics:
    there are no holes for badges of any kind in the front.

• CommentTimeJul 19th 2011 edited

ahhhhh! so you're the one who bought it! I was supposed to meet up with the seller but she took too long to respond to my messages and I guess sold it.
    • CommentAuthorErkinsky
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2011

Posted By: xdesolatexahhhhh! so you're the one who bought it! I was supposed to meet up with the seller but she took too long to respond to my messages and I guess sold it.

yeah she did take a while with responces...
    BTW, I was just looking at your profile and its kinda funny, but I am the one who bought the BK frame of you. small city dude... small city!:)
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2011

Dude, check your pm's!
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark

If those stays wrap around the top of the lug it could be a Mercian.
    • CommentAuthorErkinsky

they dont wrap fully.
    • CommentAuthorErkinsky

so campy pista drop outs. getting closer and closer, anyone?
    • CommentAuthoreBAUMANN
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2011

nice find! love that fork crown! while its very hard to say with any certainty WHO built it, I can tell you this much...its a gorgeous, well built frame and if it rides as nicely as it looks, well, id say thats just about all that matters! enjoy!
    • CommentAuthorErkinsky
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2011

Frame isnt my size, I wish it was. I would love to restore it. if anyone is interested in the frameset pm me. it is 60cm
    I want it. But i just bought my own mystery frame with awesome lugs and campy brazeons/dropouts. Taking mine to the lbs to see what the owner cab tell me since he seams to know everything.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2011 edited

Posted By: Erkinskyso campy pista drop outs. getting closer and closer, anyone?

Why do you think these are Campagnolo track ends? I don't see a manufacturer's stamp on them, nor on the fork dropouts. In the Campagnolo catalogs I have access to, every dropout/track end has "Brev. Campagnolo" clearly stamped on it, with the exception of the track end in the 1960 catalog:

Since those early Campagnolo catalogs use drawings, not photographs, it's hard to know how seriously to interpret details. But it does seem like they went to extra troubles in other catalogs.

1967:

1971:

1974:

The shape is pretty much the same as any other track end from 1955-1975. It's also worth noting that Campagnolo didn't make their own dropouts - they subcontracted them out to another manufacturer in Northern Italy, who sold the same dropouts to Colnago and Columbus with Colnago and Columbus branding.

There may well be Campagnolo marks, but I can't see them in the photos. Do you have any additional information that leads to this ID?
    • CommentAuthorErkinsky
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2011

marks are on there. I wasn't seeing them at first alos but I scraped some of the paint where the lettering should be - and bam!
    • CommentAuthorErkinsky
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2011

• CommentAuthorErkinsky
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2011

only coupl of hours left to go!
    • CommentAuthoruhler

one minute!!!!
    • CommentAuthoruhler

$182.50 someone got a good deal.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.