velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

i know i know, clipless is the best and toeclip is the best

but im using 105 clipless, and sometime wear my regular shoes on the 105

is it wise to buy a toeclip, and switch clipless and toeclip once in a while? *cough being conservative*
    I have 4 pedals. I one Shimano 105 road pedals, Shimano mtb, Animal w Hold fast, MKS sylvan with double strap. Depending what riding I decide to do I use accordingly.
    Sometimes if its a quick ride to store or something and my clipless pedal is on Ill wear regular sneakers.
    I been thinking of getting those dual purpose pedals with platforms on one side and clipless on the other. But i have not found them with look clips.
    Shimano spd has clip on platforms for their spd
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2011

Posted By: skidmarkroyaltyI been thinking of getting those dual purpose pedals with platforms on one side and clipless on the other. But i have not found them with look clips.
    they don't make them.
    Posted By: the rabbi
    Posted By: skidmarkroyaltyI been thinking of getting those dual purpose pedals with platforms on one side and clipless on the other. But i have not found them with look clips.
    they don't make them.

They actually did make those, but they were really crappy pedals that were difficult to use either side of, and were huge and bulky, and heavy as s&**. I had a set as a kid, and I see them in used shops from time to time, I would advise against looking for a pair.
    they made the schwinn triple link pedal.. with look style, spd style and toeclip adapator
    • CommentAuthorscmalex
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2011

I swap out pedals on my fixed gear and road bike from spd to mks sylvan with double clips and straps. I find that swapping pedals is much easier than using wonky double sided pedals because there is still foot retention for when i'm using my normal shoes

my friend uses these on his commuter/touring bike: http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_175406_-1_202669_10000_202461 (you can also attach clips to these, but if you use the spd side they scrape the ground. the grip is substantial... he can get nice bunnyhops)

ether way your either going to have to suck it up or buy new pedals
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2011 edited

I was at Bruce Gordon's framebuilder swapmeet last weekend, and the guys from White Industries had something I'd never seen before:

http://www.whiteind.com/cranks/quickreleasepedalcrank.html

It's a set of crankarms with a QR mechanism for pedals, and it includes QR bushings for two pedal sets. The idea is, you can swap pedals (cleated and platform, presumably) without tools. The pedal ends of the crankarms are a lot bigger than normal, to hold the bushing without cracking. It's pricy (around $300, I think), it uses WI's variable bolt pattern chainrings, and it's weird enough that they don't even put it on the price list. As Doug White told me, "We figure we're not going to sell a lot of these, so you have to order them through a shop. But you can get 'em, if you really want them."

And like an idiot, I suddenly realize that they had bottom brackets for sale at their booth that would have fit better than my Phil. I didn't even look at them.
    so i got myself a pair of toeclips

after riding them for 15 minutes, they already feel really weird *after riding 105's for quite a while* i forgot there was a small toe overlap and had a small trouble turning haha
    • CommentAuthorshainfu
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2011

I'm a Huge fan of MKS GR-9's with a toe clip. (I usually ride with gum-sole sneakers) These pedals are platform style but designed for a road/track frame' .
    I used to ride with MKS Sylvans, but found they tend to 'cut into" the foot when wearing soft soled shoes. After the switch, my feets is happy...
    Posted By: shainfuI'm a Huge fan of MKS GR-9's with a toe clip. (I usually ride with gum-sole sneakers) These pedals are platform style but designed for a road/track frame' .
    I used to ride with MKS Sylvans, but found they tend to 'cut into" the foot when wearing soft soled shoes. After the switch, my feets is happy...

+1 most track pedals hurt my feet, the mks gr9 pedals look like they would feel nice. I know a buddy who has them and says there great. I'm gonna give those a whirl
    • CommentAuthorroot
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2011

i got the gr-9's and my only gripe is that they could be a little wider...but then again i sport a size 13 so that might do something with my gripe (but i only ride in chucks so YMMV).

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.