velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorChris V
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2011

This for all you who ride aluminum on the street. How is it? Too rough? Or not too much different from a steel frame? If you have ridden both (and not those of you who rode a Leader for like 10 min. and say its ****) Anyone ridden the FTP on the street? I need some opinions and info of aluminum on the street!:)
    grab a roll of alminum foil, stick it right up under your goods, sit on a paint can shaker like that. feels good man.

but really it isn't that bad, FTPs are stiff and not light, they are track frames for a reason, you will feel very powerful and responsive, but also you are going to pick up a LOT of road buzz.
    • CommentAuthorChris V

Done it before, feels pretty good. And yeah from what I hear of people who actually ride aluminum on the street, its not as bad as people make it sound it is.
    i have a dawes sst al with carbon fork

its alright stiff aluminum though, you do feel those wittle bumps on the road, if youre gonna get a aluminum track bike, i recommend you to upgrade your seatpost to a full carbon one
    • CommentAuthorChris V

Yeah most people are recommending carbon fork and carbon seat post.
    yup especially for aluminum frame
    • CommentAuthortfunk408
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2011

No experience with FTP but I love riding aluminum frames/carbon forks on the street. It's responsive and not harsh at all unless you are inept at dodging potholes. Aluminum does vibrate a little more but it doesn't really bother me (I used to ride aluminum MTBs in the dirt so maybe I'm used to it). It's not like steel is super smooth riding, either; it dampens a little bit but the rougher streets are just as jarring.
    Both of my bike are AL (Dawes SST AL(carbon fork), GT Strike(Al fork)). I have to bike over a ton of train tracks due to where I live and would get slightly out of the saddle just as much when I rode steel. I do like feeling the little bumps more, but maybe weighing 130 makes them feel not that rough. How much padding your saddle has is probably just as important as if your seatpost is carbon.
    i take back all previous statements, you will die and your bike will explode.
    • CommentAuthorKevint143

ugh htfu get the bike you want learn to love it
    • CommentAuthorChris V

Hey, thats not funny. My friend died for riding aluminum on the street; bike exploded when he tried to do his barspinz on it.
    • CommentAuthoruhler

bar spinz on my fixy biek.
    • CommentAuthorJohn Tom

I rode a GT Pulse for a year and I also used to have a Cannondale CAAD2 road frame (so not the newest aluminum frames). I didn't find them as comfortable for riding on the streets (in new york city) for over about 45 minutes. I still have the GT Pulse but I switched to a steel road frame and mainly ride my steel track frame. I definitely don't miss the slight increase in acceleration you get from the aluminum frame. For recreational riding I think the smoothness and comfort of steel frames outweigh the performance benefits of aluminum. As far as stiffness I think that modern steel frames are plenty stiff and corner tightly and quickly enough for most applications.
    • CommentAuthoruhler

Posted By: John TomI still have the GT Pulse.

me want to see very much.
    • CommentAuthorChris V

Just got a new IRO so not planning on getting a new bike for a while. However, the next bike I buy will (I hope) be alluminum.
    I prefer steel unless it's a Cannondale.
    Posted By: Chris VHey, thats not funny. My friend died for riding aluminum on the street; bike exploded when he tried to do his barspinz on it.

im sorry for your loss, im sorry he died. Im sorry they all died.
    • CommentAuthorChris V
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2011

Its okay. But thats what they get for being hipsters doing barspinzzz on fixies.
    • CommentAuthorFit4Life
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2011

I started out with a steel Schwinn Varsity, and the only thing I can remember was heavy as a delivery truck. After that, I've ridden aluminum bikes. Old school Cannondale is stiff as anything. Some aluminum bikes have carbon seat stays for shock damping. I use a Specialized Avatar Comp saddle with a center cutout and extra padding. I also have a shock absorbing seatpost. I've ridden a couple 50's and metric centuries with this combination and my butt felt good at the end of the ride. My legs were wiped out ;)

Go with a stiff frame and soft seat for best results.
    i would not suggest a soft seat for longer rides..

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.