velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorVama
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2011

Okay so after kicking myself for not buying a new ass cable/housing/ferrules/etc. to go with a new Ultegra caliper I got today (yes I KNOW), and realizing that the old cable was totally shot, I was able to cannibalize another one off another bike that looks... OKAY. like rideable til tomorrow when I actually man up and buy a new cable and housing and all that dumb cheap stuff I skimped on cuz, "well, I just installed the last caliper, right??", ignoring the fact that the last caliper was a piece of crap that forced me to upgrade in the first place and I've been riding thru this hellish SF winter that seemed to rain all the way thru spring WTF! ANYWAY, here is my question. so now I've got it set up basically the same as any other dual pivot I've ever installed except there's a little less extra cable at the end than I am happy with but since I'm gonna fix it tomorrow, no biggie right? pads are adjusted, caliper is centered. BUT... I am used to the side lock being in one of two positions - open or shut. you open it to get a fat tire out, you close it to get it back to the correct spacing, right? well the Ultegra has notches and like 15 or whatever positions that it can be set in - and when I close that guy all the way it MAD rubs against my braking surface. and not a "my rim is way outta true" way, like a "both pads smash against the rim" way. so are the notches really there to adjust it and can be left in various settings as seems to be the case or am I a retard? I did a major upgrade so this is the nicest brake I've ever owned, so I can believe if this is something normal I just never encountered before using cheap brakes, but I also allow that I could just be stupid. and before I ride tomorrow morning I wanna know which one it is! cuz with the notch like halfway it seems set up just fine! but I don't want to pull a dingbat move and kill myself on the road. so... any advice?
    • CommentAuthorVama

also, this is the end of a long day and a LONG week (last day of the month and don't have a new place yet so I'm pretty spazzed) so there could be something completely obvious I'm missing. I just want to make sure I know what that is before I go out riding on a poorly setup machine!
    • CommentAuthorVama

and also, maxing out the cable length did not seem to change this situation. hopefully someone hits me up before I go for my morning ride because I have an early morning doctor's appointment, and the difference between my bike commute and MUNI is 35min vs 1hr, 15min. thanks, folks.
    • CommentAuthorVama

after fucking with it this morning I ruined the brake cable anyway and the Shimano tech sheet doesn't say anything about leaving the lock half open so I'm just gonna have to take public transpo to the bike shop when they open... god I wish I stocked cables and housings!! ahh well. every time I take the bus here I feel like a sucker cuz I know that I could make it in half the time, twice the fun, and not pay two bucks if I was on my bike!!
    • CommentAuthorVama

yup got a new cable and was able to fix it. either my crash or the rain destroyed the cable and the housing looked really fucked up as well for being fairly new. well I'm never skimping again. and goddamn am I happy with the upgrade to an Ultegra from a parts bin piece of shit that failed on me, damaged my rim, and was only marginally safer than the brake it replaced - one that failed catastrophically with snapped METAL.
    • CommentAuthortfunk408
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2011

Glad you got it worked out, because I could not ascertain what sort of problem you were having with your brake after several attempts at reading your posts.

As for the quick release lever, it should be either open or locked, no halfway sh!t. If you ride with it open halfway and you squeeze the brake lever hard, it will cause the quick release to fully open.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.