velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

Miche primato hubs.
    yay or nay?

http://www.miche.it/en/catalogo/catalogo-miche/mozzi/mozzi-primato-pista---pista-pista

Are they perhaps a bit more inferior to other 'well regarded' track hubs? I dont assume to know, thats why im asking.
    Ive never bought a set of hubs before but I have been looking on ebay etc. im building up a wheel set for a very cheaply acquired IRO angus.
    If the miches arent all that and a bag of potato chips, any recommendations for a good quality but not too expensive hub set?
    cheers
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2011

Nothing wrong with miches.

Have you considered formulas?
    I have a set, they're fine... But I wouldn't buy them again. The bearing cartridges are only sealed on the outside face, and they aren't well lubricated, so the stock bearings get dry and bust pretty quickly. Other than that, though, they're fine. But there are better options, and for less money. I would suggest you just get Formula hubs. They're inexpensive, attractive, and very well made.
    Yeah i suspected formulas were good judging by the amount of people who use them.
    Thanks for the input.
    • CommentAuthorVama

a few days ago someone laughed at me when I talked about Formula being your basic, cheap, dependable hub and was like... are there just magazines that these people read or sumpin that I dunno about or do people really not know the difference between a decent low cost item and a gaggle of brightly colored rebranded pieces of shit?
    • CommentAuthorVama

for the record I have NO problem with a cheap ass dependable product being mass produced in Taiwan... but I ain't gonna pay extra for some cheap generic Taiwanese shit that got bumped up a hundred dollars retail because it was rebranded or painted a bright color.
    • CommentAuthorstalag13

one of my bikes has a pair of Miche Primato's on it, been riding them for a couple years now. they've performed just fine for me, and I haven't run into the type of problems SD described.

but Formula's will work just as well. and are cheaper. and you could just stick a set of Phil cartridge bearings in there and have a cheap but great all around wheelset.
    • CommentAuthorGTB
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2011 edited

I'm currently riding the miche primato's, probably put over 2000 miles on them. They do get dry, like SD said, and tend to tighten up in the front. I just lube them up and give them a spin to make sure it's not too tight every now and then. They also look very handsome, a lot nicer looking then formulas. Forumulas are dependable and cheap, next time, i'd go with a higher end hub, or just keep riding what I have until it breaks. I don't regret getting them though. If you go with the Formulas, they don't really need phil bearings, but it's an option, really smooth, and not a very expensive conversion.
    Phil does not make bearings. Phil sells mid-grade SKF bearings as 'Phil spec bearings'. You can buy better SKF bearings, as well as better bearings made by other manufacturers that are the same dimensions as a 6001 series bearing that fits formula and many other hubs at your local bearing shop, where the sales people will be way more knowledgeable than us. You probably won't notice the difference between any of these bearings when riding your bike.
    • CommentAuthorVama

I dunno, since even tho I keep thinking about repacking my hubs with Phil spec bearings, I never get around to it. everyone that does it seems to notice a difference but then, hey, they did it to feel good about their hubs, right? and they repacked the old hubs - that surely improved them anyway so who knows?
    Formula use 6000, not 6001. The Primato hubs use 6001.
    Sticklers, sheesh. My point was that Phil doesn't manufacture bearings, nor are the ones they sell the best. You are correct, they use 6000 which goes by other designations as well, old spec/suntour/sr/sunshine/sansin hubs use 6001 also blah blah blah.

S_D will always nail me on the details, but chances are no one here will be able to tell the difference between a brand new properly installed and adjusted formula hub with stock bearings and the same thing with 'Phil' bearings. I would not be surprised if they are even the same bearing, I am going to look tomorrow, since bearings are marked on the seals.
    Also, I think miche hubs do have one thing going for them, and that is that they come in low flange and multiple drillings.
    Hey now, I agree with you, I just don't want people do read that and buy the wrong bearings. My Primato bearings are shot, and have been for a year, but I've never bothered to spend the $30 to replace them. The wheels are just sitting there, taunting me.
    • CommentAuthorSplined

Try large flange Campag 32 hole hubs or even go for Campag C-Record Sheriff star large flange Lovely hubs. Airlite are good and easily serviced. Haden hubs as well.Miche are good as well. Never had a problem with them.

kindest regards
    Splined
    • CommentAuthorper.k

Sometime you can find some decent used Paul's or if you can source Van Dessel ones, they are supposed to be pro.
    On the recommendations i think ill go formula. they are well priced.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Posted By: LegislatorS_D will always nail me
    • CommentAuthorstalag13
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2011 edited

Posted By: cantrelephantrecommendations for a good quality but not too expensive hub set?

Posted By: Splinedlarge flange Campag 32 hole hubs or even go for Campag C-Record Sheriff star large flange

ummm...
    Ive read enough to decide hubs and rims: Mavic Open Pros to Miche Primatos. Seems like both are promato and light for their price. I just havent picked out spokes yet? Dt swiss champions have an intimidating name but i dont know about their durability/strength or their stiffness. Id very much like suggestions

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.