velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthormylesn
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2011

Hey all. I have a question. I've got a Fuji Obey that I've had for a while and I don't ride a lot anymore and I was wondering how much it's worth It's in perfect condition, no scratches at all and has all the original parts that it came with when it was new. I don't know all that much about fixed gears ad how much they go for:

Here are the specs on my bike that I know of:
    Brooks Swift seat.
    Sealed Wellgo pedals
    Miche Pr1mato crank
    Formula wheels.

I just don't know what's a good price to put the bike as. I got it as a gift from a friend and I used to ride it a lot.

Anyone know what a good price would be for the bike?

Here are a few pictures:

• CommentAuthor2011

I think you could get about 650 or so on craigslist.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Not your personal army
    • CommentAuthorKevint143

I'd give you $100
    • CommentAuthoruhler

sick chainring bolts..
    No matter what else you do, you should sell the saddle by itself. As for the bike, you would probably make more money selling the components and frame individually as well (also called parting the bike out). Obviously this would increase the time you spend selling it, as well as your investment in the bike (as you would probably have to pay someone to take it apart, unless you know a guy). But it will almost certainly make you more money.

Posted By: 2011I think you could get about 650 or so on craigslist.

I think actually selling for that price is highly unlikely, but I don't know the market in Florida. The bike certainly isn't worth that, as far as I am concerned, but the market for that bike would likely be newer, less knowledgeable riders, so.....

I guess I would put it up on Craigslist as it is for a fairly high price (maybe not as high as $650, but again, I don't know your market), and if it doesn't sell or at least generate some reasonable offers in a couple of weeks, part it out. Then figure out the exact specs on everything, and sell it all on eBay with good photographs and all the sizing and condition info you can provide. If you don't want to put all that work into it, sell the saddle by itself, and sell the bike for no less than $450.
    Posted By: suicide_doorsNo matter what else you do, you should sell the saddle by itself. As for the bike, you would probably make more money selling the components and frame individually as well (also called parting the bike out). Obviously this would increase the time you spend selling it, as well as your investment in the bike (as you would probably have to pay someone to take it apart, unless you know a guy). But it will almost certainly make you more money.

I think actually selling for that price is highly unlikely, but I don't know the market in Florida. The bike certainly isn'tworththat, as far as I am concerned, but the market for that bike would likely be newer, less knowledgeable riders, so.....

I guess I would put it up on Craigslist as it is for a fairly high price (maybe not as high as $650, but again, I don't know your market), and if it doesn't sell or at least generate some reasonable offers in a couple of weeks, part it out. Then figure out the exact specs on everything, and sell it all on eBay with good photographs and all the sizing and condition info you can provide. If you don't want to put all that work into it, sell the saddle by itself, and sell the bike for no less than $450.

I seen some guy try to sell it locally for $1000. No one bought it.
    Those things were selling that well like three years ago.
    Dibs on the saddle
    • CommentAuthorstalag13
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2011

if you're gonna sell it with those chainring bolts, knock $150 off of whatever you sell it for...
    • CommentAuthorquidose

The wingnuts almost make up for the colored chainring bolts.
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

Posted By: bensonisajew
    Posted By: suicide_doorsNo matter what else you do, you should sell the saddle by itself. As for the bike, you would probably make more money selling the components and frame individually as well (also called parting the bike out). Obviously this would increase the time you spend selling it, as well as your investment in the bike (as you would probably have to pay someone to take it apart, unless you know a guy). But it will almost certainly make you more money.

I think actually selling for that price is highly unlikely, but I don't know the market in Florida. The bike certainly isn'tworththat, as far as I am concerned, but the market for that bike would likely be newer, less knowledgeable riders, so.....

I seen some guy try to sell it locally for $1000. No one bought it.

Same thing in dc: someone trying to sell an obey for 1000, similar components. Not sure what happened to it
    • CommentAuthor2011

http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-OBEY-FUJI-FIXED-GEAR-BIKE-52-CM-/250837309099?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a671196ab#ht_607wt_1141

I just pulled the 650 number off the top of my headed guessing... but checking Ebays Completed Auction... the last one on Ebay sold exactly for 650 +75 for shipping. It was near dead stock.

Ebay is a pretty good judge of value. However, expect selling it locally or on Craiglist for people to barter you down lower.
    • CommentAuthorLegislator

I'd buy those freestyle era chainring bolts for $10 as long as no paint is missing, my hutch windstyler could use a splash of color as its all chrome and white right now.
    • CommentAuthormylesn

Seems like I'm going to be taking it apart. It seems like people don't like the colored bolts... Is that how the bike came stock? It was given to me as a birthday present so I wouldn't know.
    • CommentAuthorLegislator
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2011 edited

Those bolts are from the late 80's, sold as an accessory for BMX bikes, that Obey didn't come with them. I am very serious with my offer, it is about what they sell for on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/Royal-Enfield-Chainring-Bolts-Old-School-Bmx-Vintage-/220804074169?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3368f2cab9 with shipping as long as you package them so that they don't lose paint in shipping (the paint is cheap on them and chips easily). That Saddle should craigslist for $150-175 easy, and suckers will pay good money for any of that anodized stuff, you should be able to clear $700 profit off of that bike easily as long as you do a good job of listing everything and take good pictures like 2011 says. Ebay is generally going to sell for more, but more of a pain, I'd try selling the frame and fork locally, and the smaller stuff on ebay.
    • CommentAuthortfunk408
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2011

Sell the cranks and saddle separately. You should be able to get $250 for the frameset and wheels, but then again, the market has been saturated with those cheap Retrospecs and Micargis.
    • CommentAuthorJohn Tom
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2011

yeah the era of people wanting anodized parts and that custom look without actually building up the bike part by part is over. Now People want racks and gears and grow mustaches. I think you could get a decent pull selling all that stuff individually on ebay.
    The real question is, should you be trying to make profit off of a gift? Maybe you should pass it along to another friend.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.