velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthordimpler
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2011

Anyone else tired of this concept that many fixie riders seem to have?
    Quick question thread
    • CommentAuthorpawn shop

I know it may be difficult but its all personal preference and the choice to let it go
    • CommentAuthorPillpoppin

i didnt know it was still 2008
    • CommentAuthorrakakarim

If brakes are for wimps, then those whimps may have longer life than yours.
    Many people use brakes for emergencies, i think in certain conditions, your skid or skip wont help at all. In that conditions brakes will do the stopping like no other can do. lot of experts on fixed gear use brakes, and you still call them whimps?
    i agree with you, brakes play a big role on every bicycle, its gotta be safety first
    I always thought that the feeling of riding without brakes made
    Me feel more with one with my bike. Unfortunately, it can be dangerous, and if you do ride brakeless, you need to think about what your doing alot more. Some people are really good with it, some not. I remember the first day I took my brakes off, it reminded me of the same feeling I got when I took my training wheels off. FUN! On that note though, I in no way say riding with brakes is for wimps. It may be more fun to ride without, but realistically, it's dumber. Kinda like riding without a helmet. As for me, I'm finding that riding brakeless is cool for short rides, buts it's making it harder to enjoy longer rides for a lot of reasons. Maybe I'm just gettin old haha
    brake(s) + helmet = $$$ saver and a trip to the hospital
    • CommentAuthoruhler

Posted By: Pillpoppini didnt know it was still 2008

it's not.
    • CommentAuthoriliketoes

brakeless fixed gear bicycles give the "kids" all the wrong ideas.
    o yall are on fixies? i ride brakeless on my freewheel. brakes ARE for wimps.
    • CommentAuthorPillpoppin

Posted By: uhler
    Posted By: Pillpoppini didnt know it was still 2008

it's not.

Cool thanks
    • CommentAuthorNash

+1

Posted By: skidmarkroyaltyo yall are on fixies? i ride brakeless on my freewheel. brakes ARE for wimps.
    Posted By: skidmarkroyaltyo yall are on fixies? i ride brakeless on my freewheel. brakes ARE for wimps.

Ted Shred!!
    • CommentAuthorcampystamp

Either brakes or brakeless, better know what you're gonna do in case of an emergency. Grab the front lever too quick and you've got an endo. Poorly functioning brakes are a false security. I ride brakeless and am prepared to stop by using my shoe against the rear tire if I have to. If it's fixed gear, everything's gotta be checked over and working properly. Otherwise I'm not going to be confident in my equipment. When I started to ride fixed gear, I had both front and rear brakes. I'm a firm believer that brakes do save lives and in no way are they for wimps.
    • CommentAuthorper.k

Maybe not wimps, but I do feel a bit lazier when I have it :P

But sometimes that is nice honestly, not like I am training for a TT run or something.
    • CommentAuthorMtbfixed
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2011 edited

I totally agree that riding with properly adjusted brakes is a whole lot safer than fixed and brakeless.That said I enjoy riding brakeless and am going back to it tomorrow ,removing the brakes and flipping the wheel.Bikes look so much better stripped down,and I am more aware riding brakeless and fixed,you have to be.And it's a lot of fun.Brakes are in no way for wimps,that's a stupid statement from a dumb ass.
    • CommentAuthorcipratayam
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2011

earlier this day i heard a man said "You cant call it Fixed Gear if it has brakes on it" that is the dumbest old man ive ever saw
    • CommentAuthorbdawe
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2011

Brakes are for wimps, unless you have a freewheel and if you have one of those, you might as well have more than one gear.
    i rode my bike with brakes a couple of months ago and i just took them off about last month. i gotta say riding brakeless made me more aware of my surroundings. it made me be more careful when riding, especially when i'm about to head up to an intersection. but that being said, if you are not experienced yet, i'd suggest you slap some brakes on for obvious reasons. to me riding brakeless would be more of a personal thing. and i would NEVER call someone with brakes a "wimp"

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.