velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorfdhy
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2011 edited

I was thinking of getting an XS Affinity Kissena. I've read a thread about it and people seem to like the Fuji Track Pro more. My first choice is a Leader 727TR which I can get for 300 bucks, brand new on a size 53cm (I'm 5'5" btw) but I heard the weld work is shit and it rides bad. Is this true? I'm only gonna be riding a km or less to school on weekdays and a few mild city rides. Wheelsets are gonna be 32h H+SONs laced to either Miche Primato or Gran Compe hubs.
    I love my Fuji Track Pro 2009, It has a very stiff ride, handles very good, and just looks super aggressive. The only down side to the frame is once you cut the seat post, you can't get it higher. The FTP weighs at 3.9 lbs with frame and fork, while the Leader weighs at 4-4.4 lbs. Well it's up to you to choose! Happy Riding.
    people complain about leaders b/c back in the day they fucked up on the geometry on a lot of their frames, I personally hate the way the 727 looks but as far as performance, your riding an aluminum track frame on the streets, your gonna feel the cracks and just about everything else. I personally love my 2010 725 for what it is: a cheap solid ride. If you want smooth and indestructible try the 1/8th Inch scrambler v3 or the butcher frames. Solid builds and define Urban fixed riding, my friend has the scrambler and it can take anything the streets can throw at you. I'm saving up for a butcher ATM.
    • CommentAuthorfdhy
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2011

Posted By: neilmandudeI love my Fuji Track Pro 2009, It has a very stiff ride, handles very good, and just looks super aggressive. The only down side to the frame is once you cut the seat post, you can't get it higher. The FTP weighs at 3.9 lbs with frame and fork, while the Leader weighs at 4-4.4 lbs. Well it's up to you to choose! Happy Riding.

Weight isn't really a problem to as long as I can carry the thing (stairs, road dividers). FTP sounds good though.

Posted By: xAlejandroxpeople complain about leaders b/c back in the day they fucked up on the geometry on a lot of their frames, I personally hate the way the 727 looks but as far as performance, your riding an aluminum track frame on the streets, your gonna feel the cracks and just about everything else. I personally love my 2010 725 for what it is: a cheap solid ride. If you want smooth and indestructible try the 1/8th Inch scrambler v3 or the butcher frames. Solid builds and define Urban fixed riding, my friend has the scrambler and it can take anything the streets can throw at you. I'm saving up for a butcher ATM.

I personally don't like steel frames. I know they're really reliable and all but the fact that the tubes are super skinny and it's really cheap worries me.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2011

i'd rather ride cheap steel than cheap cheap aluminum anyday.
    • CommentAuthorNash
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2011

Posted By: the rabbii'd rather ride cheap steel than cheap cheap aluminum anyday.

i'd go for a kilo every day over a leader. the leaders have a bad rap for a reason.
    • CommentAuthorPillpoppin
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2011

Just cause aluminum has fat tubes doesn't make it a better urban bike. You can put more stickers on it though so that's urban
    • CommentAuthorfdhy

How about the 722TS? It's still Leader but it's steel. Not sure if the geometry is crappy too but I've read some threads about it and they seem pretty sturdy. I'm also looking into the Affinity Kissena. Any things I need to know about these two frames?
    • CommentAuthorLaurenEE

Wabi. The classic is under $500 and the lightning (if you are set on aluminum) is just over $500 at $525. wabicycles.com. A fuji track pro isn't what I would call an urban bike, but to each their own.
    to vouch for the 722, (rode one for a while) yes its good and cheap. I just chose the 725 because i got the complete build stupidly cheap. but leader bikes arent bad at all anymore. the 729 TRK is a really sweet frame for urban riding. My friend tricks for days on that thing and its a beast for what it costs.

but to further the point steel frames aren't bad no matter how "cheap" they are. the reality is you pay more for aluminum track frames for the weight you shave off.
    • CommentAuthorper.k

I talked to a guy who said he had broken mulitple steel track bikes delivering and questioned if Alu was really that bad for abuse.
    Posted By: fdhyHow about the 722TS? It's still Leader but it's steel. Not sure if the geometry is crappy too but I've read some threads about it and they seem pretty sturdy. I'm also looking into the Affinity Kissena. Any things I need to know about these two frames?

It sounds to me like you just really want a Leader. Earlier you said you don't like steel but now your'e considering a steel frame because Leader produced it.
    • CommentAuthorfdhy
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2011 edited

Posted By: PandaInTheMistIt sounds to me like you just really want a Leader. Earlier you said you don't like steel but now your'e considering a steel frame because Leader produced it.
    lol Not really. There's a store in Hong Kong that sells them at 300 bucks + shipping. I'm trying to save to make for other important parts. I also changed my mind to steel because of certain comments.

Posted By: LaurenEEWabi. The classic is under $500 and the lightning (if you are set on aluminum) is just over $500 at $525. wabicycles.com. A fuji track pro isn't what I would call an urban bike, but to each their own.
    I tried to order from them a while ago. They don't ship to where I'm at.

And I think you guys are misunderstanding what I mean by urban. I don't want those bright frames and huge dt clearance for teh barspinz. I just want something reliable that I can use for a long time.
    i ride a scrambler to and from work daily about 4 miles. Sometimes i ride 20 plus just for fun. My scrambler rides better if not just as good as my felt z85. its actually lighter too than my z85....it cost me about 500 to build......i love it, especially when i blast past fully geared roadies on expensive bikes....https://velospace.org/node/37557
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2011

Posted By: pedalingroqi love it, especially when i blast past fully geared roadies on expensive bikes....
    i love it. because they know you're racing, right?
    Posted By: the rabbibecause they know you're racing, right?

Wait, this isn't the Cat 6? Damn.

to not be a troll and add my $0.02, I really enjoy my Soma as a daily beater. It's pretty cheap and quite durable.

Ur right!!! I should flash my hazards and give them the nod so they know its a race!
    • CommentAuthorpedalingroq
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2011 edited

• CommentAuthorFranzen
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2011 edited

Posted By: pedalingroqi ride a scrambler to and from work daily about 4 miles. Sometimes i ride 20 plus just for fun. My scrambler rides better if not just as good as my felt z85. its actually lighter too than my z85....it cost me about 500 to build......i love it, especially when i blast past fully geared roadies on expensive bikes....https://velospace.org/node/37557

Surprise racing part notwithstanding, I agree with this... I rode a V2 Scrambler as a beater for a bit in between conversions and before my Kilo, and FWIW it was decently light and handled fine. When you consider the price it was quite a bargain. But if you're in the market for a more upmarket frame, the Scrambler's finishing isn't great and it has low bling-status.

For a little over $500 total you could build up a Scrambler or a Kilo and probably be totally satisfied.
    • CommentAuthorfdhy
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2011 edited

I'm getting a lot of good comments about the Scrambler. It just so happened that a friend of mine got one and another friend crashed his (lost control, jumped off) and the dt and tt bent around 10 degrees. Is this normal for a Scrambler? Because the crash wasn't THAT bad. He's been riding the bike for a few years though.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.