velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorjoellen
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2011

Do you live in a big city? Do you commute using your bike? Where do you lock your bike during the day? Where do you keep your bike in your apt? Do you have a storage room? Do you keep it in the hallway? Do you ride your bike to work in the rain?
    I live very close to Manhattan and I use my bike for almost everything. When I lock my bike up it is only for a brief moment and locked up where its alot of people walking around, If possible Ill just bring it in the store.
    I keep my bike in my house never outside, my bikes are in my room(looks like a bike shop in here)
    Rain or shine I ride my bike
    • CommentAuthorBrannigan

I live up in Santa Fe @ 7000ft altitude. Winters can be a bit tough but I ride every day that has less than 5 or 6 inches of snow. On work days I often take bus part way in and I always ride on the way home. As for storage at home, on the bike stand inside only. While at work I lock it up tight in view of where I work.
    • CommentAuthorper.k
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2011 edited

I live in Seattle, I commute daily. I generally leave my bike inside my work on the indoor bike rack which is rad. I keep my bike @ home in my dining room or in the back shed locked up. I don't own a car, so yes, I ride in the rain whenever it rains...like today :p
    • CommentAuthorb_drum

I was going to school in Montreal last year and commuted by bike every day, rain, snow, ice, etc. I would just lock my bike up on one of the school's racks since they were in high traffic areas. I always keep my fixed inside, but last winter I got really lazy about leaving my Kona winter beater outside. I got tired of carrying it up three floors and didn't have any place to keep it where the road/snow sludge wouldn't get on everything.
    • CommentAuthorGordonpn

I live in Toronto and I go everywhere with my bike. My school has outdoor bike racks so I just lock it there. I keep my bike on my balcony and bring it inside if I leave the city for a few days. I don't mind riding in the rain at all, when it's not pouring, I find it kind of refreshing. I don't ride in the winter though, when there's snow everywhere (which is only like a month or two in Toronto).
    • CommentAuthorroot
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2011

Do you live in a big city? Los Angeles...so yeah

Do you commute using your bike? Just started a month ago, 15mi each way done in just under an hour each way

Where do you lock your bike during the day? inside with me where i work

Where do you keep your bike in your apt? in my room (i have two in there and a giant box full of "stuff")

Do you have a storage room? nope

Do you keep it in the hallway? nope

Do you ride your bike to work in the rain? it's drizzled a few times but nothing heavy, can't imagine an hour in pouring rain though. At least not without proper gear.
    My grandma's name is JoEllen :)

I work in San Francisco and live in a suburb. / I used to live in Manhattan.

Yes. / Used to.

Outdoor bike rack at work. / Indoors (used to work at a bike shop).

Outside on the patio. / Used to keep it in my room.

No. / No.

No. / No.

Hasn't rained yet (only been riding in SF for a month). / Used to ride home in the rain.
    • CommentAuthorNash
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2011

Do you live in a big city? Nashville so not really that big

Do you commute using your bike? Every day. Dont own a car.

Where do you lock your bike during the day? inside at work during the day. signs/meters while out at night

Where do you keep your bike in your apt? In the garage.

Do you have a storage room? more like a storage building

Do you keep it in the hallway? nope, dedicated bike room/shop

Do you ride your bike to work in the rain? (read: dont own a car) so the answer is yes
    Yes, London

Not as much recently since I broke my leg last year my fitness isn't so good for long commutes yet either side of a 16 hour shift (I'm a nurse and work on rotation in different hospitals every 6-8 weeks, some are 5 miles away, some came be 20+ miles away). should be upto the 20 mile ones again within a few more weeks on the trainer.

Chained to a bike rack or if I'm lucky some hospitals have special bike locker cupboard type things where you hang the bike vertically, they look a bit like a metal wardrobe, only issue with them is finding the security manager to get a key.

Commuter bike in the hallway for quick access, my other bikes I keep in my study/office/guestroom.

Rain or shine, the beauty of working in a hospital is you can always have a shower when you arrive at work before changing into uniform. SKS mudgaurds (fenders - U.S) help.
    • CommentAuthorheadydude
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2011

Do you live in a big city? Philadelphia, yerp.

Do you commute using your bike? Only while teaching summer school (8:30 am). School day starts too early (7am) for a 20 mile ride in the morning during the year.

Where do you lock your bike during the day? Inside school.

Where do you keep your bike in your apt? Front hall. (8 bikes total with my roommates)

Do you have a storage room? I wish.

Do you keep it in the hallway? Foyer, Hallway, whatever.

Do you ride your bike to work in the rain? The only time I ride in the rain by choice is home from the bar.
    • CommentAuthorfouram
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2011

i live in philly, too.

i commute to work and generally go everywhere with it. i have a shitty bike right now so at work/out and about i lock it up wherever, but with two locks. if i'm at home it stays inside in the living room, we have a ton of bikes in there cause it's HUGE. with my new bike i'm keeping it inside where i am if at all possible and going to be really careful not to leave it locked anywhere too long- won't be able to afford to replace it.

as for the rain i ride my current one in a shower but nothing more- the brakes hardly work, as is. the new one i'm going to try to keep dry if possible. and this thread is making me realize i'm gonna need a winter bike (i took the subway too much last year).
    Do you live in a big city? chicago

Do you commute using your bike? Every day. yes

Where do you lock your bike during the day? on the bike rail, and street meter/post

Where do you keep your bike in your apt? in the garage.

Do you have a storage room? nope

Do you keep it in the hallway? nope

Do you ride your bike to work in the rain? only when it rains on me
    • CommentAuthorJ.Wolfe
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2011

Do you live in a big city? philyyyyy

Do you commute using your bike? Every day to school/wherever i need to go that's too far for my skateboard

Where do you lock your bike during the day? on campus only. or in the city where multiple bikes are at

Where do you keep your bike in your apt? hallway

Do you have a storage room? not in a small philly row home

Do you keep it in the hallway? indeed as stated above lol

Do you ride your bike to work in the rain? no job, but too class yes as long as its very light. anything more i walk it
    Chicago

yes to work and back about 5 miles each way

yes, to street signs, bike racks, etc.

in my basement

nope

ride everyday, rain/snow/shine
    • CommentAuthorSkylar
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2011

Do you live in a big city? No, college town.

Do you commute using your bike? Yes. All the time.

Where do you lock your bike during the day? Bike Rack closest to where I am, or inside

Where do you keep your bike in your apt? Garage.

Do you have a storage room? Garage. Where the bikes hang/sit

Do you keep it in the hallway? No

Do you ride your bike to work in the rain? Yes. In the snow, no.
    • CommentAuthoriliketoes
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2011

Seattle, WA

I'll ride my bike or take the bus to commute, usually a combination of the two if I'm going to work, which is up a bigass hill (selling my car!)

I lock my bike up outside wherever I am, or stash it in my work's basement.

I store bikes in my house's hallways, my bedroom, and garage.

Yes

Yes

Of course I ride in the rain. I borrow my buddy's MTB for the snow, but this year I might rage on my sketchy BMX for the few days we get snow accumulation.
    I ive in Van Nuys, part of a small city of the Los Angeles County. I do commute with my bike, everywhere actually, it is just a pain that the biggest main street has no bike lane, just leaving enough space, almost none for a bike to get through during rush hour. When I work, I always bring it inside the stockroom and at school it is heavily locked outside one of the bike racks. I used to think that going up through a set of stairs in our apartment complex was already mission if you are a bike thief, stupid of me and i learned my lesson, that was when i lost my windsor clockwork, but now its inside the apartment. I wish i had a storage room, I would keep future bikes in there, and probably not think about selling em. Every once in a while i do ride in the rain.
    Van Nuys is pretty neat, my buddy lives just off of Roscoe and Orion by the dealerships. Does that committed bikelane/busroute not do the trick for your commute?

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.