velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthor2011
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2011

Just making a courtesy post for anyone that might be tempted to buy a Fuji Track Pro coming up for sale anytime from here on out.

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_527355_-1_202897_10000_202955

Nashbar recently cleared out hundreds DEFECTIVE Fuji Track Pro frames for 150 dollars each. These frames have defective chainstays and you can only use FSA cranks and chainrings smaller than 44t.

Several of these frames are now starting to pop-up on Ebay and Velospace classified by people who bought them for cheap and are trying to "flip them" and sell them for more to make a few bucks. The thing is, NO ONE discloses the fact that the frames are defective, but rather says it's new but sold "as-is"

From this point on, buying a Fuji Track Pro on the secondary market is a risky deal because you won't know if it's a defective frame or not. Personally, I would avoid giving into the allure of buying one of these frames for cheap all together.

http://cgi.ebay.com/FUJI-TRACK-PRO-58CM-2009-Alloy-Frame-fixed-gear-pista-/300566527788?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45fb293f2c

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Fuji-Track-Pro-Fixed-Gear-Track-Frame-56cm-/320712261987?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aabf0c163#ht_485wt_1158
    • CommentAuthorkeeyop

good "heads-up", there... hope they'll go for <$200. Nashbar listing states "frame is a tear off"? huh, whassat mean?
    • CommentAuthorrollins

Just another way of saying "rip off"
    It means that they removed the components after unboxing the bike, and are selling the previously half-built but otherwise new frame.
    • CommentAuthorLegislator

Damn, I have a 12 tooth cog/lockring lying around, Maybe I should make myself a micro-drive tarck biek bro and run sicky 39-12 gearing.

$200 is hella cheap.
    • CommentAuthorxdesolatex
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2011

why can you only use fsa cranks? are fsa cranks drastically different from any other crank?
    Defenitly good heads up I seen a couple on craigslist recently
    Defenitly good heads up I seen a couple on craigslist recently
    • CommentAuthorUCF e30
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2011

There have been a few people on other forums who got them and have had the crimped chainstay version that is not defective. Just a heads up.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2011 edited

yeah, a bunch of guys on tarck bought them and they were fine.
    • CommentAuthorcloud
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2011

Even if you have to use FSA cranks and 44t rings it's still a damn good deal. I've had two pairs of FSA carbon cranks (road and track) and haven't found reason to complain.

Is there truth behind the FSA accusation anyway?
    • CommentAuthorLegislator

Looked at the specs on Fuji's website for the 2009 Track Pro (the frame 2011 linked to on Nashbar), it says English/JIS threaded bottom bracket shell, so I doubt that you can only use FSA cranks (unless they have a new proprietary bottom bracket interface that no one knows about). You could probably put a mountain triple on there as long as nothing ran into anything and you obtained an alright chain line, or whatever.

I'm tempted to buy one of these and build it into a total monstrosity to make all the 'track bike for the track only' people cry out with anguish when I put all the 'wrong stuff' on it, like a 3 speed hub, banana seat, suspension fork, ape hanger handlebars, and a disc brake 16" front wheel or something. It would amuse me to no end.

Some people don't realize that bike parts are really just like adult Legos, and that you can just switch the pieces all around. Some folks will only build it the way the lego kit in the box came, but other folks never had a brand new lego kit, and only had a random box of pieces handed down from a neighbor and had to make their own creations out of what they had. The same is true of bikes, I will always be creative with whats on hand, and build things to poke fun at those who can only build the kit out of the box.

Keep riding, and cheers to all you bicyclists.
    -Gram
    • CommentAuthorxdesolatex

they're back in stock, but i just noticed that they only ship to the us. FUUUUUU-
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2011

So, there is nothing wrong with these frames besides the whole max 44t thing? Because for >200, I am so fucking tempted.
    Thats the only issue is the 44t thing.
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2011

I may or may not, It just depends on how cheap I can get a suitable fork.
    • CommentAuthorDinosaur
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2011

Hahhaa. I was super tempted to pick up one too. Thanks for the heads up.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

Posted By: the rabbiyeah, a bunch of guys on tarck bought them and they were fine.
    this meant they got ones that take chainrings larger than 44t.
    • CommentAuthorKimmo

Posted By: LegislatorI'm tempted to buy one of these and build it into a total monstrosity to make all the 'track bike for the track only' people cry out with anguish when I put all the 'wrong stuff' on it, like a 3 speed hub, banana seat, suspension fork, ape hanger handlebars, and a disc brake 16" front wheel or something. It would amuse me to no end.

Some people don't realize that bike parts are really just like adult Legos, and that you can just switch the pieces all around. Some folks will only build it the way the lego kit in the box came, but other folks never had a brand new lego kit, and only had a random box of pieces handed down from a neighbor and had to make their own creations out of what they had. The same is true of bikes, I will always be creative with whats on hand, and build things to poke fun at those who can only build the kit out of the box.

Some people don't realise that (UCI technology brake aside) the bikes the pros ride represent a century of development, and that crap like 16" wheels, banana seats and ape hanger bars are indeed the 'wrong stuff' in a very real sense.

But hey, if you want to reduce the efficiency of a machine that depends on a limited power supply, knock yourself out.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.