velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorjbrriv
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2011

I got pulled over today in Los Angeles for riding brakeless. The cop said that I would not be fined for this "equipment" violation if I showed up to court with brakes on my bike. Has this happened to anybody else? Is there any way to talk the cop out of it in the first place?
    • CommentAuthorMtbfixed

With all the crime and bad things going on in society,I can't believe cops are paying this much attention to bicycles.Cycling of any kind is a good,no, great thing.They should look and say "wqw,these people are enjoying life and staying fit,I can't wait to get on my bike."What is wrong with these cops,it must be easier to roust up some bicyclists than do some real police work.
    • CommentAuthorroot

the safe answer is to slap a brake on, take it to court, pay the fixit after letting the judge know that what the cop did was stupid as shit and next time i'd be careful to not goof off around the popo. i saw a clip on youtube from a dude that got a ticket for not riding in the bike lane even though it was safer for him to NOT be in the bike lane when he got the ticket (he recorded the whole ticket writing/explanation). i think the best part is when he tells the cop "how can you give me a ticket for riding my bike, i'm doing good for the world and you're gonna give me a ticket? look at this douchebag double parked IN the bike lane...are you going to give him a ticket? of course not" while the cop is just sitting there KNOWING FULL WELL what he did was beyond stupid. hate cops...
    • CommentAuthorroot

or you could just skid and pretend you have a coaster brake (like a cop'll know the difference).
    Posted By: rootor you could just skid and pretend you have a coaster brake (like a cop'll know the difference).

HAHA AWESOME!!
    I don't see the point of not having brakes in the first place.
    • CommentAuthorDrCatbus
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2011

Yeah, I got over the "fixie stud" thing and slapped on a brake the other day. It really isn't bad, mostly because I don't use it ;]
    • CommentAuthorMtbfixed

I agree riding with at least a front brake is smarter and safer,but I admit I prefer the look of clean bars and no cables on a stripped down bicycle.At the moment I am riding my Schwinn racer fixed and brake less.I live and ride in a small town type environment with not much traffic.I don't believe they even know what fixed gear riding is,and when I explain it to someone they look at me like I'm simple. Most people here ride department store mtbs on the road,but at least they are riding bicycles.We get a large group of serious roadies that regularly pass through on bike to the bay type rides and get to check out some beautiful machinery when they stop at the corner store.I guess I got off topic,but yes I do enjoy riding brake less,I feel more aware because I have to be and I don't do a lot of skidding except to keep in practice. I also ride helmet less.
    • CommentAuthorper.k
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2011 edited

I think riding brakeless fixed gear is kinda equivalent to David Hasselhoff, looking for freedom...

I do own a brakeless fixed gear track bike, that I hope to be taking to the track this season :)

Usually ride fixed gear w/ brake or soon a 10 speed Atala..
    A well cut and placed front brake and cable still looks pretty clean. It's not the end of the world, extends your tire life and could save your butt one day.
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

a related issue is riding in or out of the bike lane. I found this quite entertaining:

• CommentAuthorMancha150
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2011 edited

Also, I was surprised it made the BBC front page:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13730774
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark

A fixed gear hub is a brake. When you slow down your pedaling the bike slows down, when you stop pedaling the bike stops.
    • CommentAuthoruhler

until you get your ass smashed by a bus because you couldn't 'brake' fast enough.
    • CommentAuthorAaron C

I saw a video of a similar situation. A NYC cop was parked in the bike lane and ticketed a cyclist as he attempted to pass around the parked car for not riding in the bike lane.
    Grip shift brake levers. So much win.
    If you want a clean look.. Look at mine.

• CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2011

Posted By: uhleruntil you get your ass smashed by a bus because you couldn't 'brake' fast enough.

I am speaking strictly from a definition standpoint. I did not say it was the most effective way to stop.

If you didn't 'brake' fast enough, then you weren't giving enough consideration to the fact that you are underbraked, or you weren't paying enough attention. I rode fixed without a handbrake for years with no incidents, and with no more close calls than I currently experience. I added a brake when I went to Seattle, because of the massive hills, but it was mostly out of laziness and not wanting to exert myself to stop.
    Posted By: Mancha150Also, I was surprised it made the BBC front page:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13730774

I read the BBC everyday. They always have interesting headlines. Richmond only has two bike lanes and they're location sucks. It leads you really nowhere convenient and they only span for a few blocks. I know the police have ticketed some cyclist for running red lights which I guess I could understand. I've been ticketed for not having a headlight, which was a $65 fine. I bought a cheap set of lights and went to court with a receipt showing I had purchased them, but as soon as the judge heard my charge, she thought it was frivolous and a waste of time so she dismissed it immediately without me saying a word. Win.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2011

Posted By: hardsole5280If you want a clean look.. Look at mine.

this doesn't look any cleaner than a brake lever.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.