velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorvelocipete
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2011 edited

lately ive been looking into building up a respectable, yet cost-effective road bike. after a little bit of research i found the 2nd generation shimano 600 groupset (non-arabesque, non-sis/index shifting) would probably be the best to build my bike around. i found an entire groupset, sans stem, saddle, bars, post, and hubset on the bay for less than $200, so i think i am already off to a good start.

basically i just wanted some general opinions about this groupset and if it is worthy enough to make a formidable ride when paired with a good steel frame from '85-'95.

from what ive read i know that this is essentially what ultegra was before it was called ultegra, and that the mechanical functionality of the components remains rock-solid as long as they are maintained well. ive decided against the newer ultegra 600 from the 90's, the dura ace 7400, and any campy sets mostly for their higher price and lack of availability.

here is the link for velobase's entry on the specific 600 groupset im talking about: http://velobase.com/ViewGroup.aspx?GroupID=fdd9d3ff-38c7-439c-b9c7-e28c90d1ef87
    I'm not going to get into this with you again, but I will say that I have seen plenty of bikes equipped with full (like, including 600 post, stem, and wheelset) 600/600EX/Arabesque sell for under $250 shipped. Take from that what you will.
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2011 edited

turns out i found a 600 ultegra with more components for less. ill jump for this instead.

so instead, i guess i want to know everyone's opinion on the shimano 600 ultegra set from the late 80s, early 90s...
    • CommentAuthortypeDvorak
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2011

My roadie is a '82 Univega Gran Rally with a almost complete 600 group. I loooooorb it.
    • CommentAuthorheadydude
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2011

Is this the tri-color 600? If so, it's good stuff for a moderately cheap 80's-90's road build. S_D : I didn't know the arabesque stuff goes for so cheap...hard to believe.
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2011

its not the tri colour, its the 7200 group that the arabesque belongs to, but not the arabesque its self. its just a very regular looking component group.
    6200 Shimano 600 were fine components. There were differences with this era of components, so one 600(EX?) group you find may differ from the next. One i would mention is the rear hub: they made one for a freewheel- the other for a 6speed cassette (5spd before that). The later "Uniglide" cassette cogs can be difficult to find but not uber-rare. The main difference is the last cog threads ONto the freehub body vs. the modern lockring threading INto the FH body. I think the first gen. 7spd cogs still fit the splines.
    Anyway, price will vary with condition. I sold my NIB 600 freewheel hubs for 100usd a few years ago. At the time, i built up the wheels with Miche hubs because they were lighter.
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2011

yeah im familiar with the variants inside of the 6200 line. im looking at a uniglide 6sp friction system.
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2011

The 600 gruppos were very good gruppos and vied with the Suntour Sprint gruppos at the time. Most racers that I knew at the time would race these two gruppos because they were rock solid and reliable. Indexed or non-indexed at the time were reliable and depended upon your preference. At the time the tell-tale click signalled to the racer in front of you what your intentions were so many times we would forego or switch out of index mode when attacking.
    You have nothing to fear about building up a bike with these groups as they will probably outlast your ambitions. Either you'll ride it for a few years and you'll taper off your riding to the point it will last forever or you will really get into riding and sell that steed for a newer model in a few years. Either way you will find it a solid gruppo that will work reliably for you.
    • CommentAuthorKimmo
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2011

When I get hold of Uniglide hubs I replace the cassette body with a Hyperglide one.

Piece of piss.
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2011

that bad?

ill look into that
    im going to latch onto this fred because my problem is similar ... i just aquired what seems to be my dreambike frame. its a remake of a 92 cannondale track by goldsprint here in berlin. all sold out, sorry! ;-)

-
    so now me thinks the shimano 600 would be neat for a neoretro build. i mean the really blunt looking one from the mid 80s, not the arabesque girly crap. this one:

i think those are some of the nicest nohype cranks. problem is, i know its called 600ex but ive also seen a fluted 600ex and stuff. the product line is kind of confusing and whats up with descriptions like "107" ? so how do i find my way around all the 600reds when i go parts hunting ... is there a timetable around with all the different ones? the best i can find is this one ... opinions?

http://velobase.com/ViewGroup.aspx?GroupID=fdd9d3ff-38c7-439c-b9c7-e28c90d1ef87
    or to be more specific: is that 6007 crank more solid than the fluted arabesque stuff? it looks to me, i have ridden them and they are very solid or at least solid enough. im usually riding omniums and nothing is a solid as those ;-)
    Uh why do you want road cranks for a track frame, especially if you usually ride omniums, this makes very little sense. And this is coming from a guy who does exactly that, but I actually use two chainrings, so there is a reason for it.
    i just like the looks of it and this build i actually for a friend of mine which has NO money, we both have the same frame. for a retro early nineties build this just looks right. i would just use the outside ring of course ...what else would fit with this frame?
    I think the early reference should have been 6407, the 6200 series was the Arabesque, later 6XXX was after the name change to ultegra. They are as strong if not stronger than same year Dura Ace, as the forging technique was the same, as with every manufactured the higher end is lighter and more refined, but if you look at them side by side you would be hard pressed to notice any measurable difference. There is an in between AX model (6300) with the aero 1" axel pedals that would be very cool for what you are trying to do. http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx?ID=2BB73560-50EF-4E6A-804C-6202FB9A98CA&Enum=115&AbsPos=198
    wow the aero is one amazing crank, thanks a million! never seen those, they must be rare. have a look at this bike that ive discovered at iwonttellyouwhere.

which one is this? according to the owner its a 600xe group but it looks fluted to me so it must be an early one late 70s. nr? but its not an arabesque foshua!
    any ideas? where are the experts?

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.