velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorlarsalan
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2011

So, I am pretty broke, trying to save $ to move and buy a car. I wasn't planning to build a bike but I found this aluminium cannondale laying out in the parkway. I threw it in the truck and was planning on taking a steel bike to the scrap yard with all my other junk.
    Turns out it's a nice aluminum frame and I had a bottom bracket to put in. The frame is all rattle canned etc busted derailur and wheels et cet.
    Anyway, where can I find a rear clincher 700x23 online for cheap? I looked at ebay, and saw one at bikesmiths.com
    thought somebody might have advice here.
    Looked at all the shops in town an they're way high.

Will post pictures if this thread gets rolling.
    • CommentAuthorFranzen

benscycle has some pretty cheap generic track wheels
    bike island, right?
    • CommentAuthorlarsalan
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2011 edited

Yeah bikeisland is some nice low price stuff. I just asked up on CL to see if I can get a wheel there. Looks like I am getting into some $ now.
    Just spent $24 on a 42t chain ring and $15 on a 16t cog. That was the magic combo for the frame with the chain I have and testing with my 10spd cassette. I hope it will work out once I have a fixed 16t hub.

Was planning to use the front wheel off my road bike. Can buy a wheelset for about $100 at bikeisland but, I am trying to get a wheel really cheap.

Oh, and some $11 clipless pedals to fit my shoes ;)
    You need to keep in mind that the frame takes either a 126mm or a 130mm spaced rear hub, and, it being aluminum, you shouldn't be forcing the stays to contract to a 120mm position. So you won't be able to just throw a track wheel in there, it will need spacers and wrenches and know-how, and maybe a new axle, but probably not.

Buy something locally, you're probably not going to get a legitimate steal on a track wheel online, because shipping will kill it.
    • CommentAuthorlarsalan

stays are 5in. is that 126mm?
    Yes.

\

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.

velospace | About | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | contact | blog | status | site map | ©ActionHub.com
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.