velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthormeatroll
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2011

I have a 90's Bianchi Alfana that started out at 130mm and I spaced to 126mm to work with the wheel I had. Well I'm tired of breaking axles due to having a freewheel hub, and would like to switch to a cassette hub. Would it be safe to respace it to 130mm again? Alternatively, are there any 126mm cassette hubs out here? I am only looking for 7 speed. Thanks y'all
    • CommentAuthorShaku
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2011

I'm not too sure exactly on the specifics on topics such as this, but from logic, bending a piece of metal back and forth causes weakness and could risk possibly making a weak spot in the frame that would cause injury if it broke in the middle of a ride.

But I would wait till someone with more experience answers this to be sure.
    • CommentAuthorAaron C
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2011 edited

Posted By: cantrelephanthttp://www.loosescrews.com/index.cgi?d=single&c=Hub&sc=Complete%20Rear%20Hubs&tc=&item_id=SH-600CH&id=429943631753

NOS i think.

I'm not really sure how this relates to anything, he is looking for a cassette hub that is spaced at 126.
    a few options:
    http://sporting-goods.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=freehub+126&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=7294&_okw=freehub+126&_oexkw=&_adv=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=200&_fpos=Zip+code&_fsct=&LH_SALE_CURRENCY=0&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50

http://sporting-goods.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=126+cassette+hub&_sacat=7294&_odkw=&_osacat=7294&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313#item2a10ec938f

Other than that I can't possibly immagine that respacing it back to 130 will cause enough material fatigue to matter. You are only talkng about 2mm/side. Did you have it coldset originally or did you just set the smaller hub inside and tighten down the axle?
    • CommentAuthormeatroll
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2011

I had it cold set. Thanks for the links, now I'm thinking I will get that exage sport freehub and convert it to hyperglide. Do you know if there is a specific hyperglide freehub body I would need to get for 7-speed?
    "I'm not really sure how this relates to anything, he is looking for a cassette hub that is spaced at 126"

sorry bout that - link must have stuffed up. it was supposed to take you to shimano 32 hole 600ex 126mm 6 speed cassette hub. can be respaced to accept a 7 speed cassette. i've used one for a similar spacing issue - good value for money.
    • CommentAuthorAaron C

makes sense
    • CommentAuthorpeterabbit

Just a thought:

I might get a 130 mm cassette hub and change out the spacers to 126 mm. Then you are going to have a super dished wheel, so, use an off-center rear rim to counteract the dish. Probably more trouble than its worth, but it is one way to do things.

Also, you could get your frame cold-set back to 130 mm, which shouldn't be a problem (as far as I know, I had my frame cold-set 126 to 130 last summer and my guy said he could take it back in to 126 safely) so long as you make sure the dropouts are re-aligned.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.