velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

mine is setting out on long road rides without any provisions for fixing flats. for commuting i have panniers and carry everything, but when i go out for fun i just bring a multitool and a cell phone. i'm fortunate to have a spouse who is happy to come get me, but she can't always. i have done some epic walking over the years.
    • CommentAuthorjburnha
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2011

I've been trying to fix this but checking tire pressure. It really makes such a difference.
    • CommentAuthorjburnha

Remembered something else: BUYING BICYCLE PARTS/FRAMES THAT I THINK I WILL SOMEDAY USE!
    Riding in the middle of the street
    Checking out chicks when I should be watching the road
    I dunno if you would call this one a bad habit, but buying premium parts that I don't really need (90% of people here have the same habit)
    Posted By: jburnha
    Remembered something else: BUYING BICYCLE PARTS/FRAMES THAT I THINK I WILL SOMEDAY USE!

Yeah I just bought a Zipp 950 disc wheel I will some day use...
    •  
      Posted By: cicadashellsetting out on long road rides without any provisions for fixing flats

Posted By: jburnhachecking tire pressure

Posted By: jburnhaBUYING BICYCLE PARTS/FRAMES THAT I THINK I WILL SOMEDAY USE

Those. So far.
      • CommentAuthorjolar

Going too fast and pushing too hard when I'm commuting and on errands, so I'm all wet and sweaty when I arrive. I solved this problem by using a single speed with low gear that makes it virtually impossible reaching higher speeds. Mostly because it look ridiculous trying to go fast. (Seriously, it's relaxing knowing that you can't switch to a higher gear, just keeping your normal cadence.)
      • CommentAuthorjayohachen

Running stop signs & stoplights.
    •  
      Posted By: jayohachenRunning stop signs & stoplights.

I practice a rolling stop 90% of the time, unless I am towing my son or genuinely need to stop. I don't know any serious cyclist who stops legally all or even most of the time. In short: don't worry about it.
      • CommentAuthorSHMOBES
      • CommentTimeMay 21st 2011

Posted By: suicide_doors
      Posted By: jayohachenRunning stop signs & stoplights.

I practice a rolling stop 90% of the time, unless I am towing my son or genuinely need to stop. I don't know any serious cyclist who stops legally all or even most of the time. In short: don't worry about it.

Yeah I tend not to stop at the signs. But
      I don't take chances with lights. Whatevs you
      Feel safe practice that
    •  
      Oh, I was speaking about stop signs. I stop for most all lights.
      • CommentAuthorper.k
      • CommentTimeMay 21st 2011 edited

Posted By: whitekimchee
      Checking out chicks when I should be watching the road

Truly dangerous!

I was stuck in a trance as I lazily cruised along behind a group of local roller derby girls...
      • CommentAuthorcampystamp

I overcame my worst cycling habit last week. After taking many falls, I was still riding without a helmet. Finally gave in and got a decent helmet. Not as wreckless as I use to be, but a lot wiser.
      • CommentAuthorstalag13

not to say that I endorse riding without a helmet, but it's not the worse thing in the world to do. I did it for almost 10 years. I wear a helmet everyday now, for obvious reasons. but sometimes people make it out to be like you'll be maimed or killed the minute you pedal out onto the street if you don't have a helmet on.
    •  
      Two words- Snot Rocket...
      • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

Posted By: stalag13not to say that I endorse riding without a helmet, but it's not the worse thing in the world to do. I did it for almost 10 years. I wear a helmet everyday now, for obvious reasons. but sometimes people make it out to be like you'll be maimed or killed the minute you pedal out onto the street if you don't have a helmet on.
      no, but if you get hit and smash your head on the ground you're chances of becoming a vegetable are pretty good.
    •  
      Posted By: stalag13it's not the worse thing in the world to do.

Seriously? Who is walking around convincing people to use a helmet or they will die immediately? The whole point of a helmet is the same as that of a seatbelt: being prepared, just in case.

So yeah, if you haven't ever gotten in a serious accident, it's easy to say shit like "it's not the worst thing in the world not to wear a helmet." What do you think the guy says once he's smacked his head on the asphalt? Probably something like "duuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrr"

Wear a helmet, it helps to have something between your skull and a hard place.
      • CommentAuthorstalag13

Posted By: suicide_doors
      Posted By: stalag13it's not the worse thing in the world to do.

Seriously? Who is walking around convincing people to use a helmet or they will die immediately? The whole point of a helmet is the same as that of a seatbelt: being prepared, just in case.

So yeah, if you haven't ever gotten in a serious accident, it's easy to say shit like "it's not the worst thing in the world not to wear a helmet." What do you think the guy says once he's smacked his head on the asphalt? Probably something like "duuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrr"

Wear a helmet, it helps to have something between your skull and a hard place.

I have been in accidents, been hit, been doored. And before you say some stupid insult like "well your head must've taken a beating then for you to say something so stupid" I was wearing a helmet each time. I'm guessing you're one of the fire & brimstone types when it comes to helmets. Judging by your reaction, I'm also going to assume you're also one of the people I was referring to. I never condoned not wearing a helmet, only that there are worse habits to have than that. But it must hard for you to see that when you're so high up on your soapbox. There's a number of other common bad habits that are worse than not wearing a helmet. Not having brakes, not paying attention to traffic, not having lights at night, riding drunk, etc. If I had to pick a bad bicycling habit to have, I'd rather ride without a helmet than do any of the other things. Christ.

It's also easy for people to say shit like "What do you think the guy says once he's smacked his head on the asphalt? Probably something like "duuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrr" when they just want to scare people into their way of thinking.

Seriously, do you really think not wearing a helmet is the worst thing in the world? Sure sounds like it. In which case, sucks to be you...
    •  
      You're splitting hairs. Does it matter if it is the worst? I don't see the point of ranking the stupid things one could do on or with a bike, but brushing off helmet usage is definitely one of them. I don't know about you, but I don't need to hear about anyone else who might still be alive if they were wearing a helmet. It's not a scare tactic, it's common fucking sense.

Moreover, all of that "it's not so bad" "it could be worse" stuff is ridiculous and totally unhelpful, especially to the people who also do some or all of the other dumb shit you point out. "Oh, so you're riding brakeless, well that's worse than riding without a helmet." Why would you co-sign that kind of bullshit?

Look, I work with kids, and have a kid of my own, and it is almost always a struggle to convince them that the ends justify the means, if you take my meaning. It doesn't help that half of the people they see out on the streets aren't wearing helmets either.

I don't get your "I don't do it, but I don't think it's so bad" reasoning. You're welcome to your opinion, but I get to disagree, right? Save your personal judgments for someone else.
      • CommentAuthorper.k
      • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2011 edited

In an attempt to diffuse the pressure, because you both seem like decent enough posters,

I'd say a bad habit would be taking things too seriously when it comes to cycling. Take for instance, the STP(Seattle to Portland) where tons of people will layer too deep and before they are 30 miles in have taken off their nonbreathable shells and tossed them on the side of the road, as if they were in some kind of Grand Tour :)

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
    © 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.