velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorrollins
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2011

Someone posted a link to this http://prollyisnotprobably.com/2009/10/tutorial_polishing_bicycle_par.php in one of the threads and there was some debate as to whether it was legit or not. I decided to give it a try, here are the results.

I sanded the hub bodies down starting with 150, then 600, then 1000 wet, and a quick pass with 2000 wet. About 30-40 minutes of sanding per hub that I did while watching tv. Then about 5 minutes of polishing with a product called Never Dull that I picked up from Advanced Autoparts.

From this:

To this:

Which was pretty neato, so FYI
    thats badass. thanks for sharing!
    • CommentAuthorrollins

Also, here is a side by side. After the 2000 wet sand, and then after the Never Dull polish - so you can see the difference the polish made.

• CommentAuthorveggie

Never dull is good shit
    • CommentAuthorstalag13

anyone here have good experience cleaning/polishing chrome? like the stuff that can build up over the surface once it's started to corrode and rust?
    • CommentAuthorrollins
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2011

I have been polishing everything. I can't explain how satisfying an experience it is.
    I just sanded and polished the part of my steerer tube that's exposed on my stem. Looks tight. Used brasso though.
    • CommentAuthorper.k
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2011 edited

Even...polishing your knob??..err knog?
    It looks nice, but I'm very curious to know whether it will last long in that condition.

I believe that using the oven cleaner's purpose it to eat off the clear coat anodization (found on many quill stems, I don't know about hubs). I would think that with that clear coat gone it would be very prone to rust afterwards.

Here's another article that was written 2 years before; he's polishing a stem and it looks quite good afterwords:
    http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/259766-Do-It-Yourself-(DIY)?p=3677840#post3677840
    Posted By: rollinsI have been polishing everything. I can't explain how satisfying an experience it is.

Polishing is one of those rare things which has an immediate and amazing payoff. That and bleaching your asshole. (Bridesmaids... anyone? Anyone?)

Posted By: per.kEven...polishing your knob??..err knog?

Ha.
    • CommentAuthorcampystamp
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2011

Posted By: veggieNever dull is good shit

I agree, Never Dull is great. If you want to take it a step further though, wet sand and use some buffing compound. The mirror finish produced on aluminum is insane. Just don't ride that shit in snow and salt.
    • CommentAuthorrollins

Posted By: squiresuzukiIt looks nice, but I'm very curious to know whether it will last long in that condition.

Yea I'm curious myself. It's a fair weather bike I'm working on for a friend, though, so it probably won't be much of an issue.

Posted By: squiresuzukiI believe that using the oven cleaner's purpose it to eat off the clear coat anodization

Yea that's what the guy said, I skipped that step - I think the 150 grit sand took care of it. May have saved myself some sanding though if I had. I'll have to try that route in the future.

Posted By: per.kEven...polishing your knob??..err knog?

If they didn't want me to, they wouldn't have infused the Never Dull with Aloe Vera and Vitamin E
    Posted By: squiresuzukiIt looks nice, but I'm very curious to know whether it will last long in that condition.

then rollins said:Yea I'm curious myself. It's a fair weather bike I'm working on for a friend, though, so it probably won't be much of an issue.

you are going to have to polish it regularly; the enemy is oxidation, which takes place in fair weather albeit more slowly. that's been my experience with nevr-dull, after a couple of weeks you need to take the cloth back to it. but it responds well to buffing, you don't have to actually use more nevr-dull until several months have gone by. the anodizing, you realize, is supposed to prevent oxidation, but once it gets scratched you have to take it all away if you want to polish out the scratches.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: cicadashellyou are going to have to polish it regularly; the enemy is oxidation, which takes place in fair weather albeit more slowly. that's been my experience with nevr-dull, after a couple of weeks you need to take the cloth back to it. but it responds well to buffing, you don't have to actually use more nevr-dull until several months have gone by. the anodizing, you realize, is supposed to prevent oxidation, but once it gets scratched you have to take it all away if you want to polish out the scratches.

You could always put a coat of wax on it.
    Posted By: eaglerockYou could always put a coat of wax on it.

that's a typically practical suggestion from you, sir. these also work okay:

but he needs to have something to do while watching tv!
    • CommentAuthorDrew111

Never Dull is phenomenal but it will not last very long... maybe a month or two before you see signs of oxidation... if you let it go another few weeks it will get pretty bad. But I guess it depends on your environment and the quality of the surface.

I had an old balloon tire bike from the 50's that was rusted as hell. I never-Dulled the entire thing and it looked awesome. 3 weeks later I went back and looked at it and rust was already forming again over most of the areas. BUt then again i do live at the beach. Salt air is not kind to metal.
    • CommentAuthorstalag13

I'm gonna ask this again since no one answered before: how do you all polish and clean up chrome that's got some corrosion and rust on it?
    Posted By: stalag13I'm gonna ask this again since no one answered before: how do you all polish and clean up chrome that's got some corrosion and rust on it?

Ultra fine steel wool and polish. Sheesh. Took me 10 seconds to google it and find out.
    • CommentAuthorrollins

Posted By: cicadashell
    Posted By: eaglerockYou could always put a coat of wax on it.

that's a typically practical suggestion from you, sir. these also work okay:

but he needs to have something to do while watching tv!

Now what in the world is this?
    • CommentAuthorstalag13
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2011 edited

Posted By: Alexander703
    Posted By: stalag13I'm gonna ask this again since no one answered before: how do you all polish and clean up chrome that's got some corrosion and rust on it?

Ultra fine steel wool and polish. Sheesh. Took me 10 seconds to google it and find out.

good for you! how fast can you google "how to be rude to someone asking a question about polishing in a THREAD about polishing"?

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.