velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorMANNY E
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2011

I do a 6.6 mile commute in 25 min in a hurry. My cheap frame and components weigh 20.6 lbs. I ride the ol 46/16 ratio fixed on a flat ride with a couple of bridges. Does anyone do it faster? How? Would I really rock that 25 min. if I had gears? I pass all them spandex guys on the daily.
    • CommentAuthoruhler
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2011

i have a route the same length and i do it around the same time, maybe a little less, on my geared bike.
    I commute~17m one way to my studio three times a week, a little aver an hour ride time. One flat road most of the way and a gnarly climb depending on if I'm riding geared or not.
    Haha, mashing out past some roadies during your 7m jaunt is hardly something to brag about. I feel like I'm just falling into a rhythm then.
    I ride to school daily on my track bike 8 miles 1 way, some hills some flat. It takes me a little less than 30 minutes.
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2011 edited

when I ride to school 7 miles away, 25-ish minutes?

Track bike btw
    Posted By: typeDvorakHaha, mashing out past some roadies during your 7m jaunt is hardly something to brag about.

Agreed. Were you actually riding against someone on a race bike who was actually trying to race you, you would lose, hands down. Road racers don't have anything to prove to a kid on a fixed gear, nor should they - there is a reason that fixed gear racing is ridden on flat spots for short distances.
    • CommentAuthorper.k
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2011

I think mine is like 5 miles and it takes around 20/25 mins during the day. But when I have late or early shifts I can make it in about 15. Main difference being I have to cross 2 heavy arterials where the light is a multiple minute wait during business hours.
    for me the distance is between 6.5 and 7 miles depending on construction detours (there is always at least one in this town). on the way to work, which is more downhill, i can do it in 25 minutes, especially with a tailwind; going home takes 30 minutes or more, because the last mile is all uphill, i carry a lot of stuff and i am getting old. lately the fair-weather "cat 6" racers having been passing me regularly, but i don't mind, i'm in this for the long haul. as mr. doors points out, you can't actually beat someone who isn't racing you. i could also trim a few minutes off by lane splitting and/or running red lights, but that just makes us all look bad.
    • CommentAuthorMANNY E

Posted By: suicide_doors
    Posted By: typeDvorakHaha, mashing out past some roadies during your 7m jaunt is hardly something to brag about.

Agreed. Were you actually riding against someone on a race bike who was actuallytryingto race you, you would lose, hands down. Road racers don't have anything to prove to a kid on a fixed gear, nor should they - there is a reason that fixed gear racing is ridden on flat spots for short distances.

Not bragging I was just kinda proud of my commute time the other day when I left late for work. Left the crib at 9:05 and was clocking at work with a photo fishish on my time card at 9:30. I googled the distance and gave myself a pat on the back. And yes yes I know them spandex guys would school me. I just know a lot of them in town just dress the part and it's fun to drop them.
    • CommentAuthorMANNY E

Road racers don't have anything to prove to a kid on a fixed gear

Not a kid. What makes you think I'm a kid? The bike I have posted?
    • CommentAuthortypeDvorak

Posted By: cicadashell especially with a tailwind

My commute is uphill both ways because I live in a city that is a major distribution hub. A LOT of of Southern CA's retail shops have their DC's here and we have a major UPS and FedEx hub next to the airport. The one road I take is a major artery that parallels a train route and is pretty square east/west. This makes the non-wind-shielded area super wide and I ride east into morning wind on the way out and west into evening wind going home. Wind? Fuck wind.
    • CommentAuthortypeDvorak

Posted By: MANNY EWhat makes you think I'm a kid?

tbh, projected arrogance goes a long way to giving one a youthful 'tude.
    • CommentAuthorrollins

Would I really rock that 25 min. if I had gears? I pass all them spandex guys on the daily.

D = RT

6.6 = R(25min)

R = 15.8mph avg

If you want to improve this, you could easily do it with a geared bike. This is coming from a competitive cyclist, not a commuter. Gears for bikes are no different than gears for cars - it's an efficiency issue. Gears enable you to maintain a more consistent RPM (CADENCE) and a more consistent speed vs. effort output.

The most readily apparent apparition of the benefits of gears is: For the same level of effort, going up the same false flat, minimal incline - a cyclist with gears can maintain the same speed with less aerobic stress because they can maintain a more consistent RPM in an optimal 90-100rpm range, stressing the aerobic system less.

The bottom line means: They can average faster speeds for longer because it is not as difficult physically to do. Just as your car will stall if you try to start on an incline in 4th gear, the engine (the rider) gets bogged down.

But how much can this be improved?

I find 20mph relatively easy to average... this would mean:

6.6 = (20mph)T
    T = 19:48 Commute time
    • CommentAuthorMANNY E

Posted By: rollins
    Would I really rock that 25 min. if I had gears? I pass all them spandex guys on the daily.

D = RT

6.6 = R(25min)

R = 15.8mph avg

If you want to improve this, you could easily do it with a geared bike. This is coming from a competitive cyclist, not a commuter. Gears for bikes are no different than gears for cars - it's an efficiency issue. Gears enable you to maintain a more consistent RPM (CADENCE) and a more consistent speed vs. effort output.

The most readily apparent apparition of the benefits of gears is: For the same level of effort, going up the same false flat, minimal incline - a cyclist with gears can maintain the same speed with less aerobic stress because they can maintain a more consistent RPM in an optimal 90-100rpm range, stressing the aerobic system less.

The bottom line means: They can average faster speeds for longer because it is not as difficult physically to do. Just as your car will stall if you try to start on an incline in 4th gear, the engine (the rider) gets bogged down.

But how much can this be improved?

I find 20mph relatively easy to average... this would mean:

6.6 = (20mph)T
    T = 19:48 Commute time

Thanks. Really helpful. A friend has a Jamis road bike that I took out for a spin. I see what you mean. Pretty freakin fast. Felt weird to freewheel though.
    • CommentAuthorMANNY E

Posted By: typeDvorak
    Posted By: MANNY EWhat makes you think I'm a kid?

tbh, projected arrogance goes a long way to giving one a youthful 'tude.

33 going on 16.
    5 times a week. I take it a bit easy because I don't want to arrive completely drenched in sweat.
    Short route is 20 km/12.4 miles one way. Slightly less than half of it is dirt roads or trails. Takes me about an hour on my mountain bike.
    Long route is 25 km/15.5 miles on paved roads. Takes me ~50 minutes on my racer, about 1 hour and 10 minutes on the old 40 lbs commuter.

I wear spandex.
    • CommentAuthorrollins

Posted By: MANNY EFelt weird to freewheel though.

Keep that inside pedal up in the corners 8)
    • CommentAuthorroot
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2011

i commute about 16 miles 3 to 5 times a week on my kilo and it takes me about an hour-ten to wrap up my ride with a lot of up and down (rolling hills of whittier to la mirada to fullerton). Just started riding to work though at the start of last week and just started tracking on endomondo. Gonna work on cracking an hour.
    40 mins with both uphill and downhill terrain on a 7.5mi ride - doesn't really matter if I am on fixed or road. I think it could be cut down to 30 if I didn't have to cross so many lights when going through downtown

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.