velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

Anyone seen these or has one would like to know more about it? Does it have a nice geo? NIce feel? and if you have one was it worth the price and how are you liking it?
    Goodness.. Next time, please use the Quick Question thread.
    Anyways, my friend has one. He likes the way it rides.
    My friend and coworker has one also. No complaints.
    I was considering one for awhile, looking at the geo, it is simlar to a 2010 MASH, except that the seat-tube is .5 degrees shallower (and also not extra long for the "pursuitness") The chainstay length and BB drop are the same, but the wheelbase is about a cm longer.

I ended up getting a MASH, I was looking for an Aluminum frame that didn't have a rear-sloping top tube, so my options were a MASH, a Pake, a Pelizzoli, a Cannondale Track, a Super Pista or a couple more expensive bikes (Cervelo, etc.).

I got a Mash, because when it comes down to it I'd rather have a Cinelli with good reviews, Columbus tubing, etc, than a Pake that I couldn't find any info on, the BB shell doesn't look too beefy, they don't include a headset, and the dropout plates don't look like they'd be easy to find replacements for (their sales rep said they'd be offering them in the future, yeah right!)

For $500 I think I'd rather have a steel frame, especially since the Pake basically looks like a steel bike.
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2011

These have been in the back of my head for a while. I might consider one if I ever build up another track bike. I've seen them as cheap as 350
    • CommentAuthorbilbic
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2012

where have you seen them for that cheap?
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Places. I don't remember.
    I have always liked the color, but the name is stupid.
    • CommentAuthorgbrkct

Pretty sure decals are removable.
    No, the name of the frame - "French 75." I don't like Pake either (slang for "cheap"), but at least it is somewhat accurate.
    • CommentAuthorgbrkct

No one will know. Now that you mention it though both of pake's fixed gear frames both have lame names. French 75 and Rum Runner. I think if it was PBR Runner it might be a little more popular.
    • CommentAuthorsoukietron

Posted By: gbrkctNo one will know. Now that you mention it though both of pake's fixed gear frames both have lame names. French 75 and Rum Runner. I think if it was PBR Runner it might be a little more popular.

hahahaha

Here in Texas, we drink LONESTAR. Which is essentially PBR. TEXAS WIN.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2012

Posted By: soukietronHere in Texas, we drink LONESTAR. Which is essentially PBR. TEXAS WIN.

All righty, then.

There is a line somewhere on the eastern face of the Rocky Mountains, somewhere around 2000 feet elevation. To the west of that line, coffee and beer are generally quite good. To the east of that line...well...coffee is hot and brown, which is about its only resemblance to real coffee. Beer is transparent, fizzy, tasteless; excellent for washing mud off trucks.

"Why, yessir! We have Coors, Coors Light, Budweiser and Michelob!"

Real coffee and real beer are available in cities east of the Espresso/Microbrew line. Everyone in the coffee-deprived areas knows there's something wrong with their coffee. That's why every community with more than 1000 people has a little storefront selling "expresso", which isn't espresso, but it's much closer to coffee than what's normally advertised as coffee. I was once witness to a coffee riot in the Motel 6 in Mitchell, South Dakota, where Midwesterners who had already accepted the management's premise that the "complimentary Continental breakfast" should consist of Midwestern coffee, day-old doughnuts and Tang, could not accept that the coffee was thin and tasted/smelled of ground-up aluminum.

For some strange reason, people east of the line don't seem to be able to notice that their beer is tasteless. I wonder how many hipsters realize they could get fucked up faster for less money with better beer, and they wouldn't have to spend so much time twitching from overfilled bladders.

I remember a trashy matinee movie in the '70s, in the Burt Reynolds vein, where the premise was hijacking a truckful of Coors and taking it east to sell to fetishists. Us westerners knew Coors had no better use than rehydration after mowing the lawn. I've no idea why easterners would want it; surely they have enough crappy 3.2%of their own.

OTOH, there's also Repo Man, with Otto swilling the cans of generic BEER.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Put it on a plate, son. You'll enjoy it more.
    • CommentAuthorscmalex

jason clary rode one before he was picked up by ldg

here is a cool build (expect for those damn pedals): http://www.pedalroom.com/bike/pake-french-75-4421
    and another one: http://www.pedalroom.com/bike/pake-french-75-4271

i have been super curious about this bike too....
    Posted By: eaglerock...somewhere on the eastern face of the Rocky Mountains, somewhere around 2000 feet elevation...

if you can show me such a place, on a topo map, i will buy you an expresso the next time you visit ann arbor.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2012 edited

Posted By: cicadashell
    Posted By: eaglerock...somewhere on the eastern face of the Rocky Mountains, somewhere around 2000 feet elevation...

if you can show me such a place, on a topo map, i will buy you an expresso the next time you visit ann arbor.

Let's put it this way:

Billings, MT was on the west side of the line - at least it was when I was through there last, in 1993. Not only did they have four brewpubs in a town of about 80K people, they had an extravagantly painted espresso cart on the sidewalk downtown, with the cool kind of espresso machine - a bigass brass one with pull-handles, and a big copper eagle idol on it.

Sheridan, WY (about 150 miles down I-90 from Billings) is very definitely on the east side of the line. A restaurant serving an excellent steak (why do places with lousy beer also have great steak?) had only the Big Four Transparent Lagers (Coors/Coors Light/Budweiser/Michelob), and wussy coffee. The nearby Gillette, WY, about 100 miles east of Sheridan (the energy capital of the world, or so the sign says; take that, Houston/ Edmonton/Dhahran) had one little cubbyhole serving "expresso", with a well-intentioned nerdy guy doing his very best, which wasn't very good. But the coffee was better than Lula Belle's, an excellent place for pie where the coffee is bottomless because there are hardly any grounds used in its production.

I'm just saying. Had I known that the coffee would be less-than-coffee for the next 1000 miles, I would have stopped for a jar of instant to reinforce the hot brown water I drank for the next several days. I bet restaurant managers would have just loved that.

I do not yet have sufficient data to establish how big a town east of the Starbucks/Brewpub line must be in order to have establishments attempting to sell what us city folk call "coffee" and "beer". As a university town, Ann Arbor* may fall into a special category; at any rate, it's certainly much larger than Gillette, WY. Media and the Starbucks Empire being what they are, I expect that more muscular coffee has been expanding outside its West Coast and urban incubators. After all these years, it's possible that craft beer has done so as well. It is possible that the line has crept further down the Front Range; I'll have to take another road trip for research.

*Yes, I know there' s a lot of craft brewing/home brewing in Michigan.
    • CommentAuthorchain suck

• CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2012

Posted By: chain suckI'm guessing that's why Zappa (and Beefheart)
    ...I was just thinking about Zappa the other day, and a friend and I were quoting Central Scrutinizer lines at each other...

(The white zone is for loading and unloading only. If you have to load or unload, go immediately to the white zone.)
    • CommentAuthorcicadashell

eaglerock told a story

i wasn't doubting the existence of the line, i was only calling you out on your speculative elevation; hence the reference to a topo map.

the heartland prides itself on its ability to forebear tasteless food and drink. an acquaintance once told me about a friend of his who drove here from california (bay area, in fact) to visit. somewhere in nebraska he stopped for lunch at a restaurant and ordered a "salad". after the green jello with the floating marshmallows and other bits arrived at his table, he dashed back to his car and didn't stop to eat until he got to ann arbor.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.