velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorwobbling
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2011 edited

So I recently bought an HED3 wheel and found out that my floor pump's head is too big. It cannot fit into the small cavity of the wheel where the head of the tube is.
    It looks like this:

I was reading around so I bought a Silca crackpipe:

but I have no idea how they work. Could you guys please help a brother out?
    • CommentAuthorveggie

• CommentAuthoruhler

well i think you have to get the crack first. do you have a lighter on hand?
    They are a bitch to use.
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2011

Posted By: uhlerwell i think you hsve to get the crack first.

I know a guy.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: veggie

I know a guy.

You guys are mean.

Posted By: wobblingSo I recently bought an HED3 wheel and found out that my floor pump's head is too big. It cannot fit into the small cavity of the wheel where the head of the tube is.
    It looks like this:

I was reading around so I bought a Silca crackpipe:

but I have no idea how they work. Could you guys please help a brother out?

FTFY.

Now: Did you successfully get the adaptor attached to your Silca pump's hose? It attaches the same way your old Presta adaptor does, with a hoseclamp clamping the ridged part inside the rubber hose. Once the "crack pipe" (a name which, in the absence of functional photos, triggers a lot of snark - as you've now seen) is mounted, you fit it over the Presta valve the same way you would fit the regular Presta adaptor, if there wasn't all that carbon wheelwall in the way.
    • CommentAuthoruhler

Posted By: veggie

I know a guy.

Bangin' 7 gram rocks.
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2011

Posted By: eaglerockFTFY.

See my first edited post? I did the exact same thing, reposting those pictures. But as soon as I did, they showed up in his first post. The link just needed to be viewed first.
    There are two different Silca pipe adaptors, the ridged one Eaglerock mentions IS meant to attach to a hose, but will clamp into some presta or universal chucks. The other model is threaded to screw onto a schrader fitting or clamp into a schrader or universal chuck. The adaptor itself just pushes onto the valve, and will blow off quite easily unless you hold it on. Wedge a cork or similar between the adaptor and the top of the cavity to hold it in place if you don't have a spare set of hands to help.
    throw out the silica adapter.

get this:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=50557

The zipp adapter is much better designed and built for modern pump heads. I struggled endlessly with the silica thing and when I got a zipp adapter, I could finally push 160+ PSI.
    Posted By: octopus magicthrow out the silica adapter.

get this:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=50557

The zipp adapter is much better designed and built for modern pump heads. I struggled endlessly with the silica thing and when I got a zipp adapter, I could finally push 160+ PSI.

That's exactly the same as the modern Silca adaptor. I expect Zipp just rebrands it and throws in a couple of valve hole stickers:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/product-accessories/2011-Silca-Disc-Wheel-Adapter-6408.47.1.html

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.