velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

So I got my new steel pista frame in yesterday, and noticed that the fork is now threadless.

Whenever I look and drool over vintage Pista bikes, they all come with the crazy suicide bars and quill stem.

All the modern threadless stems that I've seen are hideous. First of all, they all point up and are about the size of your wrist. There is nothing elegant or graceful looking about those bikes.

My question, can someone suggest an aesthetically pleasing solution for a threadless stem on a steel pista bike or is my only option to get the fork threaded and just go with the classic quill look that i want?
    i believe the bianchi pista uses a 1" threadless fork. as long as it's not the 1-1/8" fork then your LBS should be able to thread your steer tube for cheap. then just get the top part of the threaded headset and a quill stem. no big deal.

then again, if your threadless stem angles up, just flip it upside down to angle down, or you can get a stem that goes straight.
    I'm not worried about the mechanics of converting the fork; a buddy is a frame builder and has all the tools.

i drool over this:

not over this:

question was for the look that i like, is going threaded my only option or is there an elegant threadless solution?
    • CommentAuthorAphex139
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2011 edited

There are lugged Nitto threadless stems from Ben's Cycle.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2011

Posted By: iridium7777 they all come with the crazy suicide bars and quill stem.

What the fuck are you talking about? What's "suicide" about them?

Also

I know it goes up slightly but unless you very accustomed to that riding position you are putting your back in a world of hate if your plan to ride any great distance.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi

even pros aren't accustomed to riding in that position for much more than a race's worth of riding. you'll also notice that bikes for points races are setup differently (higher bars) than a sprint bike.

most of the people that have those bikes ride with their hands next to the stem anyways.
    • CommentAuthorrollins

Cinelli makes a track style stem for threadless. It angles sharply down,and pairs well with a Deda pista track bar for the look you want. I rode that set up for awhile, but it was uncomfortable as *(#& and I switched back to flat bar.

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=31065
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2011

Velo Orange

• CommentAuthordiscotraxx

i know exactly how you feel. i felt the same way when i got my first bike, which was also a modern pista. if i were you, i'd just replace the forks with some threaded lugged ones. way nicer construction than the stock ones. unless you want to go the cheaper route, you can just get your current forks threaded & go from there.
    Posted By: SkidMarkVelo Orange

Nitto UI-5GX is similar, but it doesn't have that "suicide" look you're after.
    • CommentAuthordiscotraxx

Posted By: SkidMark
    Posted By: iridium7777they all come with the crazy suicide bars and quill stem.

What the fuck are you talking about? What's "suicide" about them?

Also

I know it goes up slightly but unless you very accustomed to that riding position you are putting your back in a world of hate if your plan to ride any great distance.

very true. that stem is a nice alternative too. but maybe that dropped/angled look just comes off intimidating to some people?
    • CommentAuthoriridium7777
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2011 edited

thanks for all the suggestions.... going back and forth i've decided to go the threadless route and will concentrate on building the lightest bike possible with deda components. some of these cross-over stems weigh a ton, the only thing that's good about modern threadless stems is that they weigh half of the older quill ones.

so i will build my bike like the yellow one, since this will be a daily bike, maybe my back will appreciate the more relaxed riding position as already mentioned. i guess if it's that horrible then i can always thread the fork.

will post pictures of the build as it gets going.
    Posted By: iridium7777the only thing that's good about modern threadless stems is that they weigh half of the older quill ones.

that seems highly debatable.

that seems highly debatable.

find me a quill stem that weighs 108g.
    ... The only benefit?
    Posted By: suicide_doors... The only benefit?

thats what i meant.
    Oh, I know you did. Dude is missing something.
    Posted By: suicide_doorsOh, I know you did. Dude is missing something.

I know you know i know you did.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2011 edited

i7777, what the previous posters are slyly alluding to is the reality that threaded stems are heavier than threadless stems because there's more metal in them, to go in both horizontal and vertical directions. A threadless stem is horizontal only; to get it higher, you need a longer steerer tube and/or a longer head tube - which adds more weight, along with whatever spacers are required to fill the gap between the headset and the stem. The weight savings you cite is illusory; it's just transferred from the stem to the fork/frame.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2011

threadless fork/headset/spacers/stem will still be lighter than a similar threaded setup.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.