velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorvelocipete
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2011 edited

Word to the wise/for future reference: it is not a good idea to try and bleach white leather toe straps to restore the clean white colour.

I did this to my Toshi fucking NJS straps and found them the next morning bone dry, leaving only the nylon strap that was in between the two pieces of leather.

I also sort of ruined my favourite sweater with bleach stains : (
    Sounds a little like that Steven Wright joke...

"I spilled spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone."

BTW, sorry about your sweater.
    mm sorry to hear that. How's that Samson aging with you, pete?
    Man... I hope the sweater is okay..
    • CommentAuthoruhler
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2011

picsoritdidn'thappen
    • CommentAuthorstalag13

bleach + leather = bad idea
    • CommentAuthorR preme

Do not ever bleach leather, especially the suede type. It will deteriorate no matter what....
    • CommentAuthorvelocipete
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2011 edited

fumigator,

my experience with the samson is completely beyond words. everything about the way that the bike feels when i ride is beyond perfect.

i really cant say much more than that. it is everything i always wanted.

so much pain was involved in putting it together, and i am just glad it was worth it to me.

now i have to buy new straps.
    You don't use bleach on leather for the same reason that you don't soak your own skin in it.
    liquid in general should NEVER come into contact with leather/suede. cmon now.
    Posted By: whitekimcheeliquid in general should NEVER come into contact with leather/suede. cmon now.

so you never rain ride with your doubles? i buy sags and just dont give a fuxx if they get dirty. i mean, i care, but i dont really.

ive been on the hunt for some new black sags, but ive been looking at the cadence doubles. they look really nice!
    Posted By: eastcoastcrusher
    Posted By: whitekimcheeliquid in general should NEVER come into contact with leather/suede. cmon now.

so you never rain ride with your doubles? i buy sags and just dont give a fuxx if they get dirty. i mean, i care, but i dont really.

ive been on the hunt for some new black sags, but ive been looking at the cadence doubles. they look really nice!

Nah I'm not saying that, if you get caught in rain you can't really do anything about it. What I'm saying is that generally speaking, liquid (bleach in this case, which is corrosive as hell) is gonna ruin any type of fabric, let alone leather or suede. Spill some clorox on your jeans and see what happens.
    many years ago i had quite a bit of success cleaning up white leather toddler tennis shoes using the powdered clorox product intended for scouring sinks and bathtubs. the trick is to make up a bit of paste, work that around with a sponge and then rinse thoroughly and pat dry immediately. i can't really say what the long term effects of this would be because the kids grew out of those shoes pretty quickly. but it did brighten up the shoes enough to make mom happy.

laundry bleach straight from the bottle can ruin almost anything worth owning. you should see what the 15% stuff can do!
    Posted By: whitekimcheeliquid ... is gonna ruin any type of fabric, let alone leather or suede. Spill some clorox on your jeans and see what happens.

man what

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.