velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthordimpler
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2011 edited

I see that many people like using the 165mm crank arm length for track cranks. Is this preferred for SS as well seeing as how you can coast through cornering?
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2011

I ride 172.5mm cranks, I have no problem with pedal strike with my Soma Rush
    Besides being short for cornering, are crank arm lengths also important for fitment overall? Length of a person's legs? etC?
    Yeah, crank length is usually proportional to a rider's leg length (femur specifically?). Rule of thumb: it's harder to go too short so as to cause physical harm/discomfort than it is to go too long. However, long cranks generate more torque, and one may notice increased 'leverage' with longer cranks, especially while climbing. Leverage = speed, if you can manage the length. On another end, shorter arms are easier to spin (another good thing for fg/ss riding). My modus operandi with choosing crank length is going as long as I comfortably can, given my leg length and application. 165mm cranks on one of my fixed gears lets me corner through anything without giving pause to pedal strike, though it does feel a little short. I had 171mm cranks on a Kilo TT and pedal strike was more imminent than I liked (the Kilo has a relatively low bb compared to my Fuji). 167.5 felt the best for me on fixed gears. However, my road bike has 175mm arms and I'm comfortable there too. So I guess after rambling for awhile and not really giving any one distinct opinion, I guess the best I can tell you is ymmv.
    • CommentAuthorkeeyop
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2011 edited

Not too much to add to fumigator's great summation :)

Shorter cranks change your gearing slightly (effectively raise due to the lower leverage). Another issue is post/saddle adjustment (up & back). BB height plays into pedal strike, as well.

Cranks should be fit to a person, like a frame, but that'd be a big production expense. And, not only are we all built differently, we all ride differently. If you flex your ankle a lot, you'll probably like a longer crank.

If you like a higher cadence (and you should, dammit) shorter cranks are easier to spin. Before going fixed, i ran 165s on my SS, and I have a 34" inseam. It was definitely an improvement over 170s. That was at around 70 gear inches, 18mph or so avg. [geek mode, off]
    You should decide on crank length based on pedal strike or toe overlap cause thats the main reason why people just gets 165mm. I have a 30 31ish inseam and 167.5 feels awesome!

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.