velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

TiGr is now up on Kickstarter! Please help John and me make this real!

So, some of you might remember John Loughlin, who showed up here on Velospace about a year ago, asking about interest in a titanium bike lock. The two of us really hit it off and have been working together since last Autumn on this thing.

We're finally nailing down the specification. I've been using a variety of prototypes since last Fall and we've been refining it to the point that it is now.

Here, lemme show you:

That's it on my bike. We're working on a mounting system. In that photo, it's held on with magic.

Here's what it looks like by itself.

That's the heavier, super high-security version.

Current prototypes are staggeringly light:

Lock Body: 4.3 OZ (120 GR)

.75” Bow: 11.3 OZ (316 GR)

1.25 Bow: 19.6 OZ (549 GR)

That means that the lightweight one is about 1/5 the weight of a Fahgettaboudit or 1/6 of a New York. The heavy one is about 1/3 the weight of a Fahgettaboudit and 1/4 a New York.

We'll be opening up our Kickstarter next week or so. It's a pretty high-end item (John's working out the precise costs still), but please back the project if you can so you get one hot out of John's workshop; even if you can't, please spread the word. What makes Kickstarter projects work is when everyone who might be into a thing hears about it. If you're on other fora and you think this is a cool project, please let them know. If you've got a biking blog, please consider posting about it. My guess is that we'll need a good couple hundred backers to make this fly.

I'll be back in this thread as the project proceeds. We're hoping to make the money we need to do a full production run, complete with attractive and ecologically sound packaging and have the world using sleek, sexy locks on their sleek, sexy bikes in a matter of months.

Edit: The Kickstarter is now open! Please help us get the funding we need to start producing TiGr!
    Thanks, Velospaceketeers!
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2011

Posted By: Joshua A.C. NewmanThat's it on my bike. We're working on a mounting system. In that photo, it's held on with magic.

I strongly support the continued use of the magic mounting system, and feel that it should be featured prominently in the advertisements.

Are the sizes going to be determined by top tube length, for similar mounting? I've been thinking about getting a second Kryptonite NY, for touring practicality. Losing several pounds is very appealing; it means you can carry more crap. The sticky point is the mounting system; since the lock itself is so long, there aren't a lot of carrying options.

How hacksaw-resistant are the titanium bars?
    Posted By: eaglerockI strongly support the continued use of the magic mounting system, and feel that it should be featured prominently in the advertisements.

I'll propose that to John!

Posted By: eaglerockHow hacksaw-resistant are the titanium bars?

Titanium, particularly the alloy John chose, is really, really annoying to cut. It's very springy. Furthermore, cutting it with a grinder throws white hot sparks everywhere.

Posted By: eaglerockAre the sizes going to be determined by top tube length, for similar mounting?

Right now, we're only doing one length. We have to keep it simple. I've gone around mounting it on bikes at bike shops, though, and it fits everything I've tried but the very short. It hits the back brake on very small road bikes.
    How does it fit compact road frames? How about mountain frames?
    WHAT ABOUT MY MIXTE!?
    still saying sign me up for one :)
    Every road frame I've tried has been fine except for a 48. Mountain frames, in general, are pretty roomy; the brakes aren't mounted right at the rear cluster, so even if they're short, no big.

Posted By: suicide_doorsWHAT ABOUT MY MIXTE!?

It's funny you should say that. Because I haven't found one to try it on.
    Posted By: xAlejandroxstill saying sign me up for one :)

Your chance will come next week!
    cool!
    • CommentAuthoriliketoes
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2011

Looks sick. Can I still hipster-high-lock with it though? I insist on making it as difficult as possible to unlock my bike after a few drinks.
    • CommentAuthortypeDvorak
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2011

I love the minimalism in the branding and design. Why TiGr? Why the word elegant in the labeling? Very cool man. Looking forward to the Kickstarter page.
    • CommentAuthorgreg
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2011

Awesome. Good luck with your project, its awesome to see people doing good work like this. I could use a lock like this for my commuter
    • CommentAuthorstalag13

You should re-size your original photo's JoshuaAC. I like checking in on this thread when new comments pop up, but man, those photo's really make it a drag to load.
    • CommentAuthorKevint143

can you show an image of it being used? I do not get how this would be any better than anything else on the market??
    Funny, I just remembered this conversation about locks: https://velospace.org/forums/discussion/1636/frozen-bike-lock/

Have your feelings changed, Joshua?
    • CommentAuthordas_pyrate
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2011

want
    Posted By: suicide_doorsHave your feelings changed, Joshua?

Not really. But making a lock so it's less of an imposition on me than it is on a bike thief goes a long way.

Posted By: iliketoesLooks sick. Can I still hipster-high-lock with it though? I insist on making it as difficult as possible to unlock my bike after a few drinks.

That's actually an interesting question. No, it's pretty easy to unlock, but I like the idea of having a lock that you need to pass a basic sobriety test to open. Maybe twist a little knob so you can get the key in.

Posted By: typeDvorakI love the minimalism in the branding and design.

Thank you!

Why TiGr? Why the word elegant in the labeling? Very cool man. Looking forward to the Kickstarter page.

TiGr is because it's titanium (chemical symbol Ti) and "Gr" is the same format as a chemical symbol. At one point in development, it was TiGr2 and TiGr5, meaning Titanium Grade 2 and Grade 5, respectively, but we were changing the alloy too much. It turned out to not communicate anything interesting.

The word "elegant" in the labeling is because we're looking to make a system that we've thought all the way through, with no unnecessary crap ruining the sleek lines of your bike. Biking is about elegance, right? This is a lock for cycling. It should share that elegance.
    Posted By: stalag13You should re-size your original photo's JoshuaAC. I like checking in on this thread when new comments pop up, but man, those photo's really make it a drag to load.

Oh, hey, look at that. Linked to big images. A bad forum-poster is me! Fixed.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2011

Posted By: Joshua A.C. Newman
    Posted By: iliketoesLooks sick. Can I still hipster-high-lock with it though? I insist on making it as difficult as possible to unlock my bike after a few drinks.

That's actually an interesting question. No, it's pretty easy to unlock, but I like the idea of having a lock that you need to pass a basic sobriety test to open. Maybe twist a little knob so you can get the key in.

I vote for breathalyzer! Imagine a crowd of pierced, skinnypantsed dudes with Haircuts Of The Future, huffing futilely into their bike locks.
    Took some more pics locked up:

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.