velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorShaku
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2011 edited

Posted By: latronBy the way, I would also be down for a Ti version of a U lock. If costs are an issue, one approach would be to just make the U part of the lock, compatible with a high-end Kryptonite model -- say, the NYC Fahgettaboudit. That way you can simply shave a good pound off your lock and increase its security at the same time.

Would love this! +1
    • CommentAuthorpolitburo
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2011

Posted By: jayohachenBeen using the lock now for about a week. A few observations:

a. I don't ride on smoothest of roads & have had to push the bow back into the frame because it was starting to come out. Has anyone had any issues where the bow starts sliding out (forward) while riding? Maybe I’m just not making the Velcro straps tight enough?
    b. I've already started scratching up my seatpost from the ends of the bow. Maybe it's due to my frame size. I've mitigated this by putting some tape around the seatpost where the ends meet the seatpost. (This shouldn’t be an issue for most folks, I just like a shiny seatpost.)
    c. I really wish there was a neat way to carry the lock without having to put it in my pocket/bag. It’s really distracting to have that lock in your pocket while riding. No problem if I’m riding with a bag. I have to put it in my tool roll when I’m sans bag, making me take out the tool roll whenever I lock up the bike. Maybe future locks can have a loop on the lock shell to hook it up to our keys or have a way to connect the lock to only one end of the bow?

It still takes me about 15 seconds to get the lock off my frame (Velcro) & the bike secured (getting the bow ends into the lock is sometimes finicky). Unlocking the bike & putting the lock away takes about 20 seconds (sometimes the Velcro straps get tangled together).

That’s enough nitpicking. Overall, the lock works well. I feel a lot less paranoid when I lock up my bike & walk away for a while.

http://instagr.am/p/TrN1-/

All of this. The ends of the lock will either rest on my chainstays, or on my seat post and scratch the hell out of everything. Its a damn shame this is not easier to transport. The lock is great, but realistically, unless you dont care about your frame AT ALL, you will not be carrying this on your top tube for very long.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2011 edited

Posted By: politburoAll of this. The ends of the lock will either rest on my chainstays, or on my seat post and scratch the hell out of everything. Its a damn shame this is not easier to transport. The lock is great, but realistically, unless you dont care about your frame AT ALL, you will not be carrying this on your top tube for very long.

This opens up a window of opportunity for associated ventures, some of which would come through TiGR and some through third parties:

1) Sized bows (say, 2cm increments from 52/54cm to 60/62cm) nominally priced to cover the cost of the extra Ti barstock. You select a lock that's long enough to fit around your top tube safely, without banging up your seatstays/headtube/seatpost. If the bowstock was steel, I'd say TiGR should just eat the expense; but that's probably not feasible for Ti. As long as the extra cost reflects the material cost only (the labor is identical), customers would probably feel better about getting a longer lock that doesn't scuff up their frame, and gives them a scoshe more length to lock the bike up.

2) Cloth/leather/rubber/whatever flexible scuff-free material sleeves for the bow. This gets into the toptube-condom area, opening up a fashion opportunity; people could switch out their lock sleeves as the mood takes them, if they're cheap enough. Obviously, a third party vendor won't go after this until there's a large enough established user base. But Timbuk2 has made a nice little livelihood for themselves making design-it-yourself messenger bags, and who would have thought U-lock holsters would be a product you could sell to people?
    • CommentAuthorMancha150
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2013

Sorry for the bump, but shit, this already made it to Mexico City

http://pfbmexico.com/productos/tigr/

Congratulations Josh, this really took off
    • CommentAuthorShaku
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2013

I actually saw one come into the bike shop the other day here in Toronto.

It does look pretty cool! :)
    Holy crap. That Mexican hipster really likes it.

I'm pretty proud of that thing. It looks really good (which is the part that I had anything to do with).
    • CommentAuthorMancha150
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2013

Yeah man, and they keep mentioned the damn thing on twitter and everything. Mexican hipsters are second to none in every aspect of this stuff.

In any event, I think it is specifically the design that makes it so attractive. I am going to buy one soon, but probably wait to buy it in the jew essay because it is bound to be like 25% more expensive here.
    • CommentAuthorlilakmonoke
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2013 edited

im shure the international bike thief mafia is already having a ball figuring out how to destroy those locks, its the ultimate challenge!

ive totally lost any trust in locks when somebody opened my abosolutely indestructible cryptonite ulock, took my bike and locked it again, all that in broad daylight on a busy road i might add. since then my bike just follows me everywhere like a dog. if no dogs are allowed i dont enter that building, simply like that.

the point im trying to make that its not the titanium, its the lock. these dudes have devices that will open up ANY lock in seconds ... and close it again.
    • CommentAuthorHaegan
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2013

I'm skeptical. I have a feeling you probably accidentally didn't lock your bike properly.
    It's pretty well known that u-locks can be opened with a car jack or a type of piston.
    • CommentAuthorHaegan
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2013

Yeah but then it's broken and won't be relocked. If you come out and your bike is gone but the lock is still locked it probably wasn't done right.
    Ohhh, I was under the impression that the thief re-locked it with their own lock (different from the one they just broke).

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.