velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorpolitburo
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2011 edited

double post
    Geez, guys, don't be so hard on him!

Yeah, he joined just to pedal (I see what u did thar) his idea, but he's a guy with an idea. John showed up here in the same way, and it's how we met. That's how we made TiGr into a thing.

If someone else thinks this is a good idea, I really think they should help him out. It doesn't help anyone — neither him nor you — to bust on his idea. He's developed it and you haven't. If there was a time to critique the idea, it would be before the Kickstarter began. For now, just wish him luck.
    • CommentAuthorAaron C
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2011

Posted By: Joshua A.C. NewmanIf there was a time to critique the idea, it would be before the Kickstarter began. For now, just wish him luck.

I agree, and I would extend that to say that the time to get us all on board would be before they have launched the kickstarter. As it stands they just spammed the site.
    The difference is that John, came asked for opinions, and used some of those opinions to develop a product. I appreciate that, it is a worthwhile use of velospace. Simply using this space for advertising is not.

Posted By: Aaron CI wish you luck, and hope that next time you'll come and chat a while before you try to sell us something.
    Yeah, Aaron, I agree.
    • CommentAuthorgreg
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2011

I haven't received any merchandise yet, but I look forward to getting the lock and using it on a daily basis
    Huh! You should have gotten your T and Ti keychain by now. John's keeping all the backers up to date with emails. If you haven't gotten your stuff, something might be amiss. Drop him a line via Kickstarter.
    • CommentAuthorgreg
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2011

I got my lock today - works great, looks awesome, and weighs next to nothing. Job well done gentlemen
    • CommentAuthorbobfike

Soooooo.... when will the TiGr be available to the unwashed masses, and the rest of us who missed out on the kickstarter for one reason or another?
    • CommentAuthorBummer

Yeah, I'm pretty interested in this too
    • CommentAuthorspader725

me three. Didn't have a stable income when the kickstarter was in effect, but now I got money I can throw around. Let me throw it at this lock!
    • CommentAuthorgreg
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2011

Its a neat product. I've replaced the velcro strap with a few large zip ties because velco is too hard to use with full finger gloves
    Damn, I want to try/demo this lock. Was just in MTL last weekend for Course Des Morts.
    Need a hand getting the word out in Canadia?

Anyhow, def. am down, and am going to blog/write about it tmw on our city's fixed gear page.

Cheers!
    • CommentAuthorjayohachen
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2011 edited

Been using the lock now for about a week. A few observations:

a. I don't ride on smoothest of roads & have had to push the bow back into the frame because it was starting to come out. Has anyone had any issues where the bow starts sliding out (forward) while riding? Maybe I’m just not making the Velcro straps tight enough?
    b. I've already started scratching up my seatpost from the ends of the bow. Maybe it's due to my frame size. I've mitigated this by putting some tape around the seatpost where the ends meet the seatpost. (This shouldn’t be an issue for most folks, I just like a shiny seatpost.)
    c. I really wish there was a neat way to carry the lock without having to put it in my pocket/bag. It’s really distracting to have that lock in your pocket while riding. No problem if I’m riding with a bag. I have to put it in my tool roll when I’m sans bag, making me take out the tool roll whenever I lock up the bike. Maybe future locks can have a loop on the lock shell to hook it up to our keys or have a way to connect the lock to only one end of the bow?

It still takes me about 15 seconds to get the lock off my frame (Velcro) & the bike secured (getting the bow ends into the lock is sometimes finicky). Unlocking the bike & putting the lock away takes about 20 seconds (sometimes the Velcro straps get tangled together).

That’s enough nitpicking. Overall, the lock works well. I feel a lot less paranoid when I lock up my bike & walk away for a while.

http://instagr.am/p/TrN1-/
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2011

• CommentAuthorChris V

Posted By: veggie

Thats not yours, is it?
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Click the link Jay posted
    • CommentAuthorNash

I know it would add a little (read: miniscule) amount of weight, but you might try using some rubberized tool dip at the points where it contacts your frame. I will get rid of the scratching issue. The stuff is awesome and I find myself using it a lot, in all sorts of random applications.
    • CommentAuthorsealed
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2011

Got my lock yesterday. Seems great thus far. This morning, I tried out the lock in a variety of locking situations and took some photos. Check them out here: http://baltimorevelo.com/2011/11/photos-and-impressions-tigr-bike-lock
    • CommentAuthorlatron
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2011 edited

Posted By: jayohachenBeen using the lock now for about a week. A few observations:

a. I don't ride on smoothest of roads & have had to push the bow back into the frame because it was starting to come out. Has anyone had any issues where the bow starts sliding out (forward) while riding? Maybe I’m just not making the Velcro straps tight enough?
    b. I've already started scratching up my seatpost from the ends of the bow. Maybe it's due to my frame size. I've mitigated this by putting some tape around the seatpost where the ends meet the seatpost. (This shouldn’t be an issue for most folks, I just like a shiny seatpost.)
    c. I really wish there was a neat way to carry the lock without having to put it in my pocket/bag. It’s really distracting to have that lock in your pocket while riding. No problem if I’m riding with a bag. I have to put it in my tool roll when I’m sans bag, making me take out the tool roll whenever I lock up the bike. Maybe future locks can have a loop on the lock shell to hook it up to our keys or have a way to connect the lock to only one end of the bow?

It still takes me about 15 seconds to get the lock off my frame (Velcro) & the bike secured (getting the bow ends into the lock is sometimes finicky). Unlocking the bike & putting the lock away takes about 20 seconds (sometimes the Velcro straps get tangled together).

That’s enough nitpicking. Overall, the lock works well. I feel a lot less paranoid when I lock up my bike & walk away for a while.

Has anyone suggested a top-tube cover with built-in slots for the Tigr? Would look like a regular cover, but there would be extra layer of material on the outer surface (sewn top and bottom at the proper width) into which one could slip the blades. Of course one would have to put up with a top-tube cover (I'm no fan), but it would eliminate the need for Velcro straps, solve the scratching and movement issues, etc. Just a thought.

By the way, I would also be down for a Ti version of a U lock. If costs are an issue, one approach would be to just make the U part of the lock, compatible with a high-end Kryptonite model -- say, the NYC Fahgettaboudit. That way you can simply shave a good pound off your lock and increase its security at the same time.
    • CommentAuthorjayohachen
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2011

Nash,
    I can't really add anything to the ends. It's already a tight fit. I find that sometimes I have to jiggle the tips into the lock to put it in. Same thing when I remove the lock.

Latron,
    Let me know when to you set up a Kickstarter project for this. Maybe even just a Titanium U part to use with the existing Fahgettaboudit lock.

Sealed,
    I totally copied some of your locking variations when I lock up the bike.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.