velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorkeeyop
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2011 edited

Posted By: Joshua A.C. Newman
    I think you might be under a misapprehension about where the stress goes in the lock, but I'm not sure what it is. In any event, this is an alloy chosen for its lock-friendly powers. It's very tough and springy.

Hey, thanks for addressing the comments and concerns! I'd definitely be in on the packable model.

The bow material looks thicker in the rendering than the pics; allays some worry. Still, having the ends parallel means it's less rigid, no? And "springy" isn't a term generally associated with non-cable locks.;) The psychology is more like "if it won't bend, it won't break", right or wrong.

I imagine you've put the prototypes through all kinds of torture tests. [fun] That said, looking at it with mischief: I'd get a 3'-4' length of pipe whose inside diameter fits around the lock body, and lever the lock outward as far as possible while trying to initiate a kink at the joint. Bend it back and forth to see what kind of damage resulted... (assuming it can be bent at all, what do i know?)
    I realize Ti has a high resistence to fatigue, but I'm curious. And, playing devil's advocate, if something looks like it can be broken, it's more likely to be damagaed. So, rock on, sir! I'll be watching the fundraising link.
    Posted By: keeyopAnd "springy" isn't a term generally associated with non-cable locks.;)

Yeah, it's a unique kind of lock. Some of the benefits of a cable, some of the benefits of rigid.

Posted By: keeyopSo, rock on, sir! I'll be watching the fundraising link.

Thanks!
    • CommentAuthorgreg
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2011

Post the Kickstarter link at the top of the original post
    You smart man.
    • CommentAuthorMtbfixed
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2011

I think your locking system is some great out of the box thinking,and I always applaud new ideas.It looks like a very effective bicycle anti theft idea ,tough and baffling to would be thieves.I personally don' t like the aesthetics of the lock in the carrying mode,it ruins the bicycles visual appeal to me.I wish you the best of luck and hope you sell the hell out of them.
    Thanks, man!

And thanks to Velospace, we're a tenth the way there in just four days!

We've got a long way to go, though.
    you could make a sheath for it, and carry it on your back all ninja like!
    you could make a sheath for it, and carry it on your back all ninja like!
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2011

I wouldn't mind a u-lock version of this just for the weight savings (over a steel U-lock) .

I am averse to attaching locks to frames, basically I hate anything on a bike that doesn't need to be there.
    I really like the ninja scabbard idea!

Posted By: SkidMarkI am averse to attaching locks to frames, basically I hate anything on a bike that doesn't need to be there.

I sorta feel the same way. That's why we're trying to make it feel like a real bike part.
    • CommentAuthortypeDvorak
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2011 edited

Posted By: hardsole5280you could make a sheath for it, and carry it on your back all ninja like!

My messenger bag has two lines of webbing running down the top flap to secure things to. I took the bag apart the second I came back from the cl-goods-exchange and sewed in two lengths with loops in it after seeing these guys' bags. I have since attached a wheelset, helmet, climbing shoes, and other odd-shaped cargo to it. Totally down for this idea.
    • CommentAuthorgreg
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2011

Signed up on Kickstarter - good luck meeting your funding goals, you guys have a ways to go!
    Yeah, it's a lot of money to raise! If anyone can help us get the word out, particularly to biking blogs and stuff, that would be awesome.
    Posted By: typeDvorakMy messenger bag has two lines of webbing running down the top flap to secure things to. I took the bag apart the second I came back from the cl-goods-exchange and sewed in two lengths with loops in it after seeingtheseguys' bags. I have since attached a wheelset, helmet, climbing shoes, and other odd-shaped cargo to it. Totally down for this idea.

That's pretty neat!

Holy moly!

Check it!

Bicycle Design:
    http://bicycledesign.net/2011/04/a-mini-bike-and-more/

Gizmodo:
    http://gizmodo.com/#!bikes/5796985

Wired:
    http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/04/tigr-bike-lock-thin-strong-stylish/

A bunch more, too, like the Wall St. Journal, are picking up the headline and reposting. This morning has seen us pass 25% and $10,000.
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2011

Thats really awesome!
    Looks like the week will close at 31%. Can't argue with that!

And hey, wanna see what John looks like while he spends his afternoon cutting locks?
    http://tigrlock.com

... and, holy shit, make that 32%.
    • CommentAuthorpolitburo

Yay!
    • CommentAuthorJesus

Seems like it would be awkward to use.
    • CommentAuthorgreg

Go go go! Congrats on the exposure

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.