velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorradfriends
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2011

I went to buy some film today and grabbed some fuji 400 color film and the guy went to ring me up and the total came to 21 dollars! It was a four pack with 24 exposures per roll but that seemed like twice what I saw it there for not too long ago. I didn't buy it went to best buy and got the same thing for half the price. I would rather have bought it from the camera store but I don't have that kind of money to burn for no reason. The dude at the camera store said the price is going to continue to rise due to the disaster in japan. Has anyone had this same situation?

And cycling related, if any what camera do you guys ride with?
    • CommentAuthoriliketoes

Nikon D40, I can just pretend I used film in photoshop...
    I really liked the Pentax 35mm my dad let me have when I started learning to shoot, still love the feel of that manual focus 1.4 50mm lens. They don't make 'em how they used to; at least, that's what I hear.
    • CommentAuthorAaron C

Posted By: radfriendsThe dude at the camera store said the price is going to continue to rise due to the disaster in japan.

I guess I hadn't really thought of that. I've been buying a lot of 800 speed Kodak Portra in 120 for a project my girlfriend is doing*. A ProPack of that stuff is already $36.00 locally + about 25 to get all five rolls processed. I think I would cry if the price goes up anymore.

*I know, I know. Elaborate attempt to convince you all that I have a girlfriend!
    • CommentAuthorlatron

I have a Canon A-1 for real photography. Everyday ride-with cameras are a Canon S-90 (the nice one) and a beat-up SD800 or something as the backup.
    • CommentAuthorper.k
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2011 edited

my camera takes 110 so who really has it hard? :P
    • CommentAuthorf64

Wish infrared film was cheaper & produced more..
    Nikon F 1959, Nikon FM (Getting fixed), Hasselblad 500C/M, & Leica = next in my list..

Regarding the Pentax, if it's the K1000, that's one of the best user-friendly SLR out there !
    • CommentAuthorjburnha

Last time I purchased film was a few months ago and it was pretty pricey, around $12 per 36 roll. Planning to shoot a friends wedding this summer with some 35mm and not looking forward to prices. Digital is just so convenient (although I hate that my digi body is not full-frame...).

Travel these days with a Canon 20D with either the 24/1.4 or 50/1.4 and the 70-200/2.8 in a pannier if I think I'll need it for anything. I have been known to carry a film body too, either a Canon 1N or the older AE-1 with just the 50/1.4 for that Leica-esque feeling.
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2011 edited

A few months ago I picked up some fuji 400 for like 12 bucks for a 6 pack. I still haven't used all that up because I hate paying to have film developed. I use that in a Canon Elan 7

Digital is a canon xsi.

I have a canon sd630 floating around here I got off ebay for like 20 bucks, I just need to fix the screen.
    That's what happens when you buy commercially. I buy most of my film slightly expired on ebay through large vendors, they have very good prices and you know the film has been cold-stored. Most of my 220 comes out to $3.50 a roll, which is pretty good. Cheaper and more beneficial than smoking :)

I'm in the process of building my own 4x5 camera, but I also shoot medium format (pentax 6x7) and some 35mm (yashica T4, leica m2, a few nikon slr's) and some digital too (nikon d300 w/ 1.4 lenses and strobes). I almost always have the T4 with me when I ride, I've tried the 6x7 and it's not fun! Haha.

I mostly shoot color now, and develop everything myself. I make color prints in the darkroom as well. photography is fun!
    • CommentAuthorveggie

This reaffirms what my girlfriend says. inb4

This is quite the elaborate hoax by all of you to convince velospace that you actually have girlfriends. Bravo guys, bravo.

She always says biking and photography go hand in hand.
    • CommentAuthortelethon
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2011

Modified my Holga to temp. shoot 35. Nice and light, being all plastic.
    • CommentAuthortelethon

Posted By: telethonModified my Holga to temp. shoot 35. Nice and light, being all plastic.

I use Ilford black and white so film has always been pricey.
    • CommentAuthorf64

Ilford b/w = great stuff
    walmart, the 4pack of fujifilm 400iso is like $9-10 here in SF. i ride with my trusty canon at-1. but i know what you mean, department stores sell it so much cheaper. but some camera stores actually have deals on bulks for loyal customers. like a reward system
    • CommentAuthorAFenvy
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2011 edited

fgilm
    • CommentAuthortypeDvorak
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2011

Walmart hates 'merrca.
    • CommentAuthortelethon
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2011 edited

Posted By: AFenvyWe actually get the 4 pack of Fujicolor Superia 400 at Walmart for $8 here in New Mexico. But honestly I dislike the results I get with it, now I stick to ordering professional black and white or color film online. I really can't justify paying the $4+ price premium for film sold in a local camera store.

Another tip if you shoot 120 or 220 medium format film, Walmart develops it stupid cheap. All they do is send it straight out to Fuji Labs who develop it for them, then they send it back and you pick it up at a bulk discount rate which is cheaper than sending the film directly to Fuji Labs. My last roll of 120 film developed with 3x3 prints came out to a grand total of $1.80 for everything.

I'm one of the few it seems like that shoots with Olympus cameras. I love my OM-4Ti, OM-2, and OM-10. I also have a Nikon FE which is a brilliant camera.

That sounds like someone messed it up lol no way it was that cheap. But then again I haven't been in a walmart in like 4 years..
    • CommentAuthoriCxLegion
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2011

Canon Rebel T1i with 18-55mm.
    Posted By: AFenvy
    I'm one of the few it seems like that shoots with Olympus cameras. I love my OM-4Ti, OM-2, and OM-10.

Me too :-) OM-2, OM-4Ti and OM-40 (OM-PC) here.

I haven't bought film for 15 years. I made a trade with my then local camera shop, IT support for film and print paper.
    I still have a freezer full of Ektachrome and FP-4 on 100 ft bulk rolls.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.