velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

Patey, that helmet is over 9000.
    i really wanted the echelon... LBS ran out of the '10s that were on sale. got the specialized align instead.

• CommentAuthortypeDvorak
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2011 edited

There is only one shop in your proximity? SUCKS.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2011

Sorry I gotta ask, were you hit by a car?

Did they by any chance say "I didn't see you?"

it seems like most of the time on the road the reason someone gets a head injury on their bike is because of a careless person driving a car. If people in cars would pay attention to the road, we probably wouldn't need helmets.
    • CommentAuthoriliketoes
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2011 edited

Posted By: SkidMark
    Did they by any chance say "I didn't see you?"

it seems like most of the time on the road the reason someone gets a head injury on their bike is because of a careless person driving a car. If people in cars would pay attention to the road, we probably wouldn't need helmets.

^This

But I also would like to note the element of rider awareness/competence, as well as intoxication in the rider or driver. I've experienced stupidity on both sides of the driver/rider binary myself. Just this last weekend I pissed off a whole pack of roadies by being a dumbass and passing on a blind turn on the bike path (how rude!).

Edit: So now I wear my helmet.

Without the visor and with some totally badass reflective orange stickers on the back.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2011

I wear a helmet commuting and riding offroad (tree branches). Not so much if riding a cruiser and stupidly no helmet on my BMX. But always on a tallbike.
    • CommentAuthoruhler
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2011

I hit a car today, i was in the rightaway (confirmed by many bystanders).
    My bull horns did their job. she didn't even ask if i was okay, she just wanted me to pay for the dent/hole in her car and blah blah blah.

not a scatch on the bike or me!
    • CommentAuthorwobbling
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2011

I haven't been in a serious accident yet (knock on wood) but I've always heard that its not about if you fall, its when you fall. Some people say that it doesn't look good well screw them, I'd have my life over style any day.
    • CommentAuthorFeFst

Posted By: uhlerhit a car today, i was in the rightaway (confirmed by many bystanders).
    My bull horns did their job. she didn't even ask if i was okay, she just wanted me to pay for the dent/hole in her car and blah blah blah.

not a scatch on the bike or me!

Nice!! Same thing happened to me, and when I did have bull horns..... oh boy did she had\ve a good size dent in the rear side of the car. Stupid woman.
    Thanks god you are good my friend.

Just cracked my Bell Volt. LBS got in the Catlike's went and picked one of them up and boy they are cool... two days later I took it back( they do not fit my large head well at all) ended up picking up the S-Works Prevail.... This Helmet is by far the best feeling helmet that has been on my dome peace yet!
    • CommentAuthorpolitburo

got paid yesterday from the insurance of the bird who caused me to wreck, so I just got a Giro Aeon. Its hecka light.
    Yeah, I went on a bike ride with my Aunt about a year ago. She said she had never fallen off a bike and she almost didn't use her helmet (because we had a huge trunk full of luggage and such...the helmet was lost in it), but my parents persuaded her to and she ended up falling for the first time since age 4 and cracking her helmet right in half. We were on an island and this ferry came with an ambulance on it. Luckily, there were no major damages.
    i started wearing the echelon also. the best looking helmet for the price.
    curious if anyone has a suggestion for a good, low profile helmet? I am starting to think my head looks like a mushroom.
    • CommentAuthorFit4Life
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2011

Be careful of time trial aero helmets when on the road. The trailing backside can twist your neck if you fall the wrong way. Use aero helmets only for race events.

Also, replace your helmet every 6 years even if you are not involved in an accident. The foam will degrade over time naturally.
    6 years seems like a lot. My brother track/canyon rides motorcycles and I've seen him replace his helmet with the same helmet because the foam has 'aged.' The safety features are obviously of higher rating in the devices he is using, arai corsair, versus mine, specialized echelon, but yeah. I feel six years is too long a time to keep a helmet.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2011

Posted By: typeDvorakI feel six years is too long a time to keep a helmet.

According to the Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute, who claim to get this info from the helmet manufacturers, the foam cushioning (the important part! the part that keeps your brain from slamming into hard objects!) hardens up after about five years.

Giro helmets have a white label on the lining with the size marked; that label also has the month/year of manufacture. I would hope that other manufacturers do something similar, but I haven't looked. Any time I'm asking about a helmet, I always ask for the manufacture date. I'm shocked at how many people try to sell 10-year old helmets - even responsible grownups that should know better.

On one occasion, I drove 50 miles up into the Santa Cruz Mountains during rush hour (Highway 17 - you Northern Californians know what I mean), into a forest, to track down a Giro mountain bike helmet that turned out to be 12 years old, with broken straps. After a few minutes arguing with the chucklehead seller, I could tell that if I didn't buy it, he'd just keep throwing it up on CL until someone else did. I finally paid him ten bucks and took it back down the mountain, and smashed the helmet up with a hammer. My contribution to cyclist safety.
    ..and that's five years shelf life. The great sun effects damage.
    • CommentAuthorstalag13
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2011 edited

Posted By: eaglerock(Highway 17 - you Northern Californians know what I mean)

I went to UCSC back in another lifetime. Once, while driving back from Oakland, I saw a car take a switchback too quickly on 17, crash through the guard railing and launch itself into a grove of trees. Almost crashed myself from shock. Never got the 411 on what happened afterwards, but I don't see how driver could've walked away from it on anything but a gurney.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2011

Posted By: stalag13I went to UCSC back in another lifetime. Once, while driving back from Oakland, I saw a car take a switchback too quickly on 17, crash through the guard railing and launch itself into a grove of trees.

I did that in college. I learned to drive for realsies at about 22, and my girlfriend showed up as we were going down to the Santa Cruz Boardwalk, and announced that I was going to drive. Another group of friends were ahead of us in a second car. I kept up through several of the switchbacks, but there was a nitwit in a van right on my tail, and he kept tracking me, and I lost control and the back end came out and hit the side of the hill. Van Nitwit kept on, and caught up with my friends about five miles on. He said, "I was just keeping on his tail, because I thought he might be having a problem (yeah, I had a problem, fuckface! You were on my tail!). My friends got back to us just about the time a towtruck arrived.

Needless to say, my girlfriend was displeased with me. That persisted for months. I treat 17 with respect and fear.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.