velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

Veggie, you passed up an opportunity to take a real MySpace photo.

• CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2011

Haha, I've seen that so many times
    Posted By: veggieYep, my birthday was a few days ago, this was my birthday present to myself. Just thought I'd take a picture for facebook.

15, 16, 17, 37 years old. Something like that right?
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2011 edited

Posted By: bensonisajew12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 37 years old. Something like that right?

Something like that.
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

I had not seen that photo before, and now I am really having a hard time drinking my coffee. Thanks Joshua.
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

Oh and happy birthday veggie!
    Oo! Coffee! Good idea. I'll go make some.
    Do an experiment, find an old helmet and try to crush the foam part. I couldn't. That shows you how strong they are.

I was in a forum and someone said the foam in helmets is so strong, take an old helmet and try to crush it like a styrofoam cup, the guy said this in a debate where this other cyclist was saying the foam wasn't that strong.

I'll be danged, I could get out my old helmet and though I did not test it too too much as to avoid destroying it, I could NOT crush the old helmet, pushing in with my hands and all that.

As I said, I didn't want to destroy it, maybe one could really test it by setting it on the ground and then jumping on it. But I could not squeeze and crush this helmet.

So I agree, wear it. Especially in real busy types of traffic or anytime you might be on the road with cars, dedicated bike trails you still should but I know I do get a bit lackadaisical at times, riding in a quiet state park. And try that test too if you have an old helmet lying around.
    • CommentAuthorkarlos
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2011 edited

Ate pavement pretty bad going pretty fast, blacked out for a couple of secs and got really bad road rash. just turned 23 last week and got a "Catlike Kompact pro" from my parents...I used to clown on helmets but hitting ur head and blacking out on the concrete going 25mph is NOT COOL/SMART!
    • CommentAuthormeatroll
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2011

Yeah I am a huge proponent of helmets. I have broken two, and would probably be drooling on myself or dead if it weren't for them.

So after the OP, and two of my friends being involved in an accident where there helmet saved their lives, and the fact that the warm weather brought out the crazy in chicago, and I'm looking to start racing track and cross, i figured it was time to buy a helmet that fits and that i would wear. It might take alittle while to get used to but definitely happy i did it
    road, crit and commuting i use this bad boy

for my TT's I like to use this guy
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2011 edited

I've broken 2 hard-shell helmets, one micro-shell and my skull once. At the time I broke my skull, I was actively looking for a helmet to purchase that week.

I've only had one accident involving a car, and I didn't go down.

NONE of my other accidents have involved other vehicles or animals or people. They have always been from obstacles; rocks, sand, RR tracks, wet wood, steel gratings, roots, manhole covers, uneven pavement etc. So those that would say wear one when in heavy traffic are most definately WRONG...

Wear at all times.

One of my buddies stopped at a red light, couldn't get unclipped and fell with his feet still in the clips. Smashed his head against the concrete curb. Knocked him out and busted his helmet. Concussion. With a helmet. Something to think about.
    Posted By: RuffinitI've broken 2 hard-shell helmets, one micro-shell and my skull once. At the time I broke my skull, I was actively looking for a helmet to purchase that week.

I've only had one accident involving a car, and I didn't go down.

NONE of my other accidents have involved other vehicles or animals or people. They have always been from obstacles; rocks, sand, RR tracks, wet wood, steel gratings, roots, manhole covers, uneven pavement etc. So those that would say wear one when in heavy traffic are most definately WRONG...

Wear at all times.

One of my buddies stopped at a red light, couldn't get unclipped and fell with his feet still in the clips. Smashed his head against the concrete curb. Knocked him out and busted his helmet. Concussion. With a helmet. Something to think about.

thats what happen to me, i had a concussion. I was knocked out for a good probably 1 hour. just purchased a new helmet,
    • CommentAuthortypeDvorak
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2011

paint that thing yellow for Super Saiyen hair.
    • CommentAuthorpolitburo

Should you replace your helmet after any kind of impact? Like last week when I wrecked I did not black out nor hit my head very hard (i think i took most of it to the chin, actually) and I cant see any cracks. I havent had time to replace it so I've just been using it. Safe/unsafe?
    • CommentAuthorNash

For starters, most people are aware that you must replace a helmet after any crash where your head hit. The foam part of a helmet is made for one-time use, and after crushing once it is no longer as protective as it was, even if it still looks intact. Bear in mind that if the helmet did its job most people would tell you that they did not even hit their head, or did not hit their head that hard. And the thin shells on most helmets now tend to hide any dents in the foam. But if you can see marks on the shell or measure any foam crush at all, replace the helmet. (Helmets made of EPP foam do recover, but there are few EPP helmets on the market. Yours is EPS or EPU unless otherwise labeled.)
    Posted By: typeDvorakpaint that thing yellow for Super Saiyen hair.

The best Super Saiyens have black hair and a monkey tail, and in no way does it make me feel cool that I pointed that out.
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit

Specialized offers a 20% discount for replacement of a crashed helment. I've not heard of any other companys that do so.
    Posted By: RuffinitSpecialized offers a 20% discount for replacement of a crashed helment. I've not heard of any other companys that do so.

i was going to contact them about that but i decided to just use my friends 50% discount haha

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.