velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthordimpler
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2011

This is my first build. Looking for something less than $60/tire. Prefer more of a road tire, I am not in to tricking, maybe the occasional curb hop. don't need anything thick or with a shitload of tread. I do like to catch speed and do a lot of "traffic carving"

Thanks
    Vittoria Zaffiro Pro in 23c, they are $30 a pop and a little on the thick side. Not fragile but still quick in the streets

Try the Rubinos or Diamantes for a lighter casing
    • CommentAuthorGordonpn

I like Vittoria Zaffiro tires, I skid and they last me almost 2 months.
    I've used Michelin Dynamics, they are pretty smooth riding, and last a while when skidding. I'm reasonably certain they only come in 28c, so you need clearance. But I like fat tires ;)
    i used continental ultrasport but it wore out fast, but now i use michelin kromion, its light and good for the streets
    • CommentAuthorscmalex

+1 on vittoria zaffiro and vittoria rubino.

Or panaracer pasela with tourgaurd. Good puncture resistance, doesn't square out, cheap and good in bad weather. I tore the sidewall on one but fixed it and it has been holding up for many fort nights.
    Vittoria Randonneurs have double layers and arent super expensive. rubino's work well though, had them well over a month, coming up on 2 and never had a prob, still not running through either
    • CommentAuthormeatman

I would agree on anything from Vittoria. I almost exclusively ride Vittoria Randonneur in the back. They are a little beefy (pretty sure 28c is the smallest they make) and do have pretty significant tread, but they have a good life. I'm sure some people would say I skid a lot, and they last me at least 2 or 3 months and I ride everywhere, everyday. I've never had a puncture flat with one either. They're usually 30 or so in a shop, but you can find them online for 25 or so everywhere. I've also recently rode Continental Contacts and I really liked them too. They are really similar tread of the Randonneurs. That's actually why I bought them, and they turned out being a pretty good tire for me.
    Posted By: GordonpnI like Vittoria Zaffiro tires, I skid and they last me almost 2 months.

+1

I started on Zaffiros and love them, but skid more than usual (trip home is down a steep hill to a stop sign, so I sometimes skid 30 ft at a time) so I am now on my second Super Everwear in the rear but still have the original Zaffiro from 8 months ago on the front. Love the Super Everwear, it but its not "fast"
    any of the nicer Continental tires (minus the Supersonic) will last you forever. Vittoria Rubino and Diamante are nice as well, with long life spans. Can't advise the Open Corsa for anything less than racing though. Cuts and tears are way too common, and the tight bead can make it a real bitch to take on or off.
    i recently got the continental 4 season tires, & so far those are my absolute favorites. very high end tires that are also all weather condition. if you know of gatorskins, they're the higher end of those basically. they're light, great for skids, very puncture resistant, nice balance of rolling resistance, & they're fold ups. very good on cornering too. those are the best all around tires IMO. they run for around $60 per tire (well worth it though). if you want something good thats cheaper, then i'd go with vittorias.
    I thought we were talking about fast tires and I see all these references to Randonneurs and Gatorskins.. heh
    That feel in a tire you are talking about is specific and I understand what you want. Look into Panaracer rubber also, another one of my favs

any of the nicer Continental tires (minus the Supersonic) will last you forever. Vittoria Rubino and Diamante are nice as well, with long life spans. Can't advise the Open Corsa for anything less than racing though. Cuts and tears are way too common, and the tight bead can make it a real bitch to take on or off.

These are legit words
    • CommentAuthorstalag13

Gatorskins. Sometimes a Rando on the rear. 25c up front, 28-32c in the rear.

Rando's are cheap, usually around 30.

Gatorskins are great in the rain, which is key for me in Seattle. No tread, so mimimal rolling resistance, but still very durable. They can be had for well under 60 if you look.
    here's some (steel bead) for 45, with another 15% off the top as well: http://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/continental-gatorskin-700c?ss=6056
    PBK has some folding ones for 40: http://www.probikekit.com/us/tyres-tubes/clincher-bicycle-tyres/continental-gatorskin-road-tyre.html
    Total Cycling has them for under 40: http://www.totalcycling.com/index.php/product/parts_accessories/tires_road_clincher/index.html
    • CommentAuthoronionskin

Posted By: the fumingatorany of the nicer Continental tires

+1
    got my Conti Gator Hardshell at bike tires direct for $50-ish, pricey but if you don't skid they are worth it.
    great blend of fast and durable, plenty grippy for hard cornering.
    • CommentAuthorMANNY E

I've been using 700cx28 Continental Ultrasports for a while now. They are good tires but seem kinda soft and prone to flats. I went to an LBS looking for Gatorskins in the same size and they were out. I got some Specialized All Condition Armadillo tires instead. They are supposed to be pretty tough but we will see.
    • CommentAuthorncecchi

Continental Gatorskin Ultra. No question about it.
    Vittoria Rando's skid like butter, but only last ~2months. I've been running the same Conti fro over a year.
    dude vittoria randos are unbeatable, you can get a set for $60 shipped on ebay, there 28c and last forever.
    Posted By: NightStalkeri used continental ultrasport but it wore out fast

these are the worst. I've been riding on conti ultra gatorskins and can say they are top notch.
    My Contis have just disintegrated. I don't know what the deal is. Some sort of UV rot situation.

I have a Michelin Lithion in front and will replace the Gatoskin in the back with another of them.
    I'm running conti gp4000, for a few months... and I am now noticing some tire rot lookig patterns going on where the rubber meets the sidewall, on both tires. It looks like uv problems too, however- I think it is separation caused from over inflation. They are rated @110 and I run them at 120- never been an issue for any other tire I overinflate.
    I won't be buying these tires again.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.