velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorRuffinit
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2011

There was quite a few of you asking about RAGBRAI last year and a few that missed the boat all together. Well, this year it's only 454 miles and 21,000 feet of climbing, so you might even enjoy it on a SS/FG.

Anybody going? Any questions?

http://ragbrai.com/
    • CommentAuthormeatman

I grew up in a small town in Iowa and twice while I lived there RAGBRAI came through my town. Let me just say, it is the coolest cycling ride I've ever seen/heard of/been a part of, ever! If you're able to go, do it. You will have one hell of a week!

I have to head to Iowa in early June for a wedding and unfortunately won't be able to make it back there by July. Hopefully it will be my vacation for 2012 though.
    • CommentAuthorgreg
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2011 edited

Alia and I are doing RAGBRAI this year. Let's have a velospace meetup that week and ride a few miles and drink a few beers together.
    • CommentAuthorLegislator

I did the last two years, definitely a blast! Going to have to miss this year's, or do it unsupported guerrilla style and carry my own gear.
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2011

Definately is a wild ride. I'm not one of the crazies and will most likely only do the final day this year.

I believe that if you join BIC (bicyclistsofiowacity.org) for a nominal fee, they'll transport you, your bike to the start and take care of luggage, then pick you up and take you back to IC when completed. You'll have to watch their website for that if interested. That way you all from out of state have a place you can go to, park the car and get back to it a week later. - just a thought

It would be cool to meet up. Couple years ago I did it on my crit frame (black lightning). Iowa isn't flat. It is rolling and has some good hills, but if you like riding and seeing the country side, eating great food and parties for a week, this is a great ride. IF you like simply getting out and riding point A to B with some long pace lines or anything in between, this rides for you.

I ride it solo, but you always end up spending time with others along the route.
    Did the last 2 days last year. Doing the last 3 days this year. Definitely doable on ss/fg. I ran 48/18 ss with my tt (with a rear rack full of my gear - panniers, tent, etc.) and only had to walk up one hill - only serious roadies with crabon fiber bikes and no camping gear were riding up that particular hill. And if you went last year, you know the one I'm talking about. 50 m.p.h down it, 0.5 m.p.h. up it.
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2011 edited

Aw come on, it was easy with the Bridgestone - triple-butted CroMo (no stinking plastic bikes for me). I will tell you that the year before on Snake Alley, I ended up walking that last 20 feet (but that was cobblestone with 42/21 gearing), and it wasn't the BS.

EVERYTHING is easier on the Bridgestone.
    • CommentAuthorgreg
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2011

Potter Hill!
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2011 edited

Yeah! Let's face it, they usually throw something in there to make the ride memorable. If we wanted all flat roads, Kansas would be a great choice.

This year day 2 and day 3 have the most climbing by far. 5,000 and 4,800 feet respectively.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2011

Posted By: RuffinitIf we wanted all flat roads, Kansas would be a great choice.

Nuh uh; Kansas isn't flat. I-70 across Kansas is just as rolling as I-80 across Iowa.

South Dakota east of the Missouri to the Minnesota state line - that's flat.
    • CommentAuthormeatman
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2011

Posted By: eaglerock
    Posted By: RuffinitIf we wanted all flat roads, Kansas would be a great choice.

Nuh uh; Kansas isn't flat. I-70 across Kansas is just as rolling as I-80 across Iowa.

South Dakota east of the Missouri to the Minnesota state line -that'sflat.

have to agree.

You may be thinking Nebraska. that shits a pancake!
    I did potter hill last year on a 45 pound bike pulling a 75 pound stereo trailer past many plastic bike roadies and single speeders, because GEARS OWN HILLS. Snake alley was so fun I did it 3 times. Those hills are nothing compared to a west coast mountain pass, but I will say one thing, IOWA ISN'T FLAT.
    Posted By: LegislatorI did potter hill last year on a 45 pound bike pulling a 75 pound stereo trailer

POIDH
    • CommentAuthorLegislator
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2011 edited

I rode the bike on the right the whole way, big mags, 14 gears, barspins, stereo trailer. You can see the trailer in the background and the shadow. This pic was from day 2 or 3, but its the only one I have of me riding (funny thing how hard it is to take a picture of yourself while riding a bike).

Maybe this year I'll do it on my pugsley.....I am still undecided. If I go I would love to meet up with ruffinit and greg though!
    Posted By: LegislatorMaybe this year I'll do it on my pugsley.....

PYBOYCTAI!
    (post your bike or you can't talk about it)

There aren't enough Pugleys on the site, anyway.
    Woooo!!! University of Iowa cycling team will be riding a few legs together but I would love to get together with some velospacers one day if possible. Especially meet the famous Greg ;)
    also for those who rode last year and were at the giant rope swing, I apologize for getting it closed down....but it was definitely worth it..............until my mom found out
    • CommentAuthorRuffinit
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2011

So it was you! How's that rope swingin' since your momma got ahold of that info?
    • CommentAuthorgreg
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2011

I'll post something about a RAGBRAI ride meet up closer to the start date. I'm thinking of a day or two for us to meet at the start and ride out that day
    • CommentAuthorgreg
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2011

Who's riding? Got my jersey, bracelets, and almost ready to ride

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.