velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthormeatroll
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2008 edited

mentioning this debate outside of this thread should lead to automatic ban, hahaha.

anyway all i have to add to this discussion, is that if/when you do decide to ride brakeless, it is very important to know how to stop yourself SHOULD your chain snap/cog come loose/toestrap break/et cetera. i've met way too many people who have never even thought about this.

the best method IMO is the "ted shred", where you put your foot on your back tire, right behind your seatstays. this will not work if you have a regular fender there, however if you have a seatpost mounted fender you can probably kick it out of the way.

there's a few other methods in this bikeforums post but as i said, i think the ted shred is most effective.

EDIT: i'm totally confused as to why it looks like i'm the OP of this thread and it says i posted an hour ago when i posted less than a minute ago, but hey, whatevs.
    • CommentAuthort0dk0n
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2008 edited

I got the idea in another post I will not mention from fellow Velospace user Meatroll. This post is created for the sole intention to keep any arguments, justifications, theories, etc about riding brakeless or with brakes in one central post. People now don't have to flood every thread with the same old story. I personally prefer to ride with a front brake, but I have respect for those that can safely ride without one. People that ride without one when they first start on the other hand is idiotic in my opinion. It's fine to try out once in awhile when you're starting, but riding that way everywhere might prove troublesome and you might hurt someone or yourself severely if you can't stop effectively.

EDIT: Haha, I was hoping an op would move you to the top since it was your idea. The reason it says you posted an hour ago is probably because its counting the beginning of this thread, when I started it an hour ago.
    • CommentAuthorJ Juicy
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2008

brakes=safer
    brakeless=more fun

you decide
    • CommentAuthorCONDENADO
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2008

EVER BRAKELESS !!!!!!
    Brakeless for sure.
    heres a simply way to put it"
    brakes- condom, safe
    brakeless - no condom, not safe but more fun but you will eventually get fucked over

I ride brakeless =) so far so good!
    • CommentAuthorZ4N5H1N
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2008

I like brakes.

And freewheels.

And gears.

;)
    why is it more fun to ride brakeless?
    brakeless freewheeling down the hill at 50 mph fun fun fun
    brakeless...
    but my knees are starting to get pissed..
    • CommentAuthormeatroll
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2008

Posted By: Kamikaze Kidbrakeless...
    but my knees are starting to get pissed..

taking a daily supplement combining glucosamine, chondroitin, and MSM can help with this. so does stretching before riding, and maybe gearing down a bit. adding a brake would still make a huge difference on top of that but that's up to you.
    i ride with the brakes cut...

everybody tells me to get a front brake just incase, but i am stubborn and will have to learn the hard way.

i havent learned yet and have the scars to show it.

but without brakes you feel so much more free and able.
    • CommentAuthorroadie
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2008

front brake only for the road. no brakes at the 'drome. fixed 4ever!
    Posted By: t0dk0nIt's fine to try out once in awhile when you're starting, but riding that way everywhere might prove troublesome and you might hurt someone or yourself severely if you can't stop effectively.

anyone trying to say that riding without breaks is way unsafe obviously doesn't know how to ride w/o them. practice makes perfect.
    in my personal opinion brakeless = safer, my reason being i'm always watching one step ahead and remaining much more alert to my surroundings. i also feel alot more confident in my own two legs bringing me to a safe stop than a brake. thats the reason i ride fixed, the bike becomes an extension of your body and reacts almost telepathically to whatever your riding situation may be. really though this only applies to experienced riders. brakes are a choice, if you are just learning and dont want to a brake then ride around in a parking lot for a few days til your are confident in all the tecniques of stopping.
    Since I started riding fixed, I've never had a brake on any of my bikes. I tried riding my friends road bike recently and nearly ate shit because my brain did not think fast enough to reach out and grab this lever to slow down. When you ride brakeless, you think with your legs, and it's your legs that make you go, and make you stop. Very simple. I find that I can react and slow down faster with my legs, then I can reach out and remember to squeeze a little lever to slow down.

It's more important to be 110% aware of your surroundings and what is going to happen ahead of you and what you will do if that car turns or pulls out etc, rather then putting all your faith in some little mechanical thingy as a brake.
    word ^. thats pretty much what i said
    • CommentAuthormeatroll
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2008

ITT:

:)
    • CommentAuthoro_O
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2008

i ride with a front brake, but i usually dont use it, i rode brake less the other day and wiped out, I couldn't slow down enough and I took a corner, wasn't able to turn sharlpy enough(roads were super slick) and hit the curb.
    • CommentAuthornunie92
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2008

brakes are for pussy's

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.