velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

Those look like they would only work on steel forks. Mine is one of those stock Bianchi Pista Concept carbon forks, which are quite a bit fatter. It doesn't look like the caliper would fit on mine.

Also, does anyone have experience with carbon straight-bladed forks giving or bending when using a brake on them?
    Posted By: o_O
    Posted By: ForrestLBDMI rode fixed with a front brake for about a year, and I used it pretty often. This summer I ended up ditching my conversion for a track bike, but the fork isn't drilled, nor can it be (didn't really realize that until I took it home and built it), so I had to learn how to ride brakeless pretty quickly. Sometimes I find myself wishing I had a brake, but can't afford a new fork for the time being. I have gotten pretty good at just using my legs, but I find that I can't take as many risks as before, because looking cool just isn't worth getting destroyed by a car and possibly ruining my chances of ever getting on a bike again.

you can get brake sets made for road training that clamp on to your fork.
    http://www.benscycle.net/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=188_482
    not the most attractive solution, but it works.
    • CommentAuthoro_O
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2008

Posted By: ForrestLBDMThose look like they would only work on steel forks. Mine is one of those stock Bianchi Pista Concept carbon forks, which are quite a bit fatter. It doesn't look like the caliper would fit on mine.

Also, does anyone have experience with carbon straight-bladed forks giving or bending when using a brake on them?
    Posted By: o_O
    Posted By: ForrestLBDMI rode fixed with a front brake for about a year, and I used it pretty often. This summer I ended up ditching my conversion for a track bike, but the fork isn't drilled, nor can it be (didn't really realize that until I took it home and built it), so I had to learn how to ride brakeless pretty quickly. Sometimes I find myself wishing I had a brake, but can't afford a new fork for the time being. I have gotten pretty good at just using my legs, but I find that I can't take as many risks as before, because looking cool just isn't worth getting destroyed by a car and possibly ruining my chances of ever getting on a bike again.

you can get brake sets made for road training that clamp on to your fork.
    http://www.benscycle.net/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=188_482
    not the most attractive solution, but it works.

im not sure, you might have to get a rear brake.
    or you could just but a new straigh blade fork, it's up to you.
    Sometimes you just have to grow up and realize that a brake doesn't make you a pussy, it doesn't dilute the "fixed experience", and people aren't going to think you sit down when you pee (no offense to the lady riders). One day I just thought, man, I could really hurt myself riding on this bike with NO BRAKES. So I put one on. I have more important things to do than hurt myself on a bike. I want to ride because I love it, and It just makes sense to leave yourself an out all the time, and having a brake just adds another option to your list when you're barreling down a hill and a car pulls out of a driveway right in front of you. Even if the brake doesn't stop you, it'll make it hurt a little less...
    • CommentAuthoremanalo
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2008

who says that you always have to use your brake if you have one on your bike? i have mine because i dont trust myself to stop quick enough if i need to. i like to go fast and a brake helps me keep my bones aligned and undamaged. 80% of the time, i dont use my brake, ill just slow down as most people without fixies do, but everynow and then, i may have to reach over and pull that lever because as much as i can control my bike, i cant control other people in cars, trucks, walking, etc. just because you have a brake doesnt mean you have to always use it to stop. going down a massive hill and with my knees already screaming for mercy....brake time.
    ^
    Agreed.
    I can appreciate the Zen like purity of riding no brakes - But you are much more likely to get killed and the longer you do it - the more likely it is. Enjoy it - and then move on before you die - so you can look back on it with nostalgia. I have a fixed wheel and Campag Record brakes front and back. I can stop in 10% the distance of a no braker! Its a good feeling!
    Move over I want to kick the horse in the gut.

I ride with two brake on my fixed gears. Hurt my knees real bad before and don't want to do it again. Besides I love to ride on the hoods. When I ride with someone who is brakeless they loose much more momentum than I do in urban areas because they've got to slow down sooner to keep out of intercetions. My bike is a machine and I want every bit of control over it. To me that means fixed with brakes, and to each's own.
    • CommentAuthorOla Yungai
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2008

yeah but i kno this kid who was zoomin down hills and shit
    and he had a front break
    and he pressed down on it
    causing his front wheel to stop completely
    and he did and endo
    • CommentAuthorbchhun
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2008

well, i guess if he actually knew how to use a brake...
    Hey, let's just grab a handful of front brake at high speed! That'll turn out great!
    • CommentAuthorwowzah
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2008 edited

Posted By: Ola Yungaiyeah but i kno this kid who was zoomin down hills and shit
    and he had a front break
    and he pressed down on it
    causing his front wheel to stop completely
    and he did and endo

was it a bmx bike?
    or was it a track bike with a disc brake in the front?
    how 'bout we let this thread die already? you either use a brake or you dont, its a personal preference and no amount of anecdotal arguing is going to prove one to be better than the other. just do what you like and who cares if there's haters.
    No brakes? Got to be down to personal choice I reckon. I started riding a track bike at the tender age of ten, long before it was cool, used to get rinsed for my cycling tights though, but then again I still do! 35 now and just getting back into track racing and I get the Zen thing completely, you know the idea of man and machine, pure riding, super cool, but can you attain that feeling on the road, with people pulling out on you all the time? Maybe, it kind of feels naughty...you know what I mean, like your'e cheatin and you are super skilled. Ridden BMX for years also but never went brakeless though, droppin in on a vert with no brakes is proper fu#@in scary, the high street on a track bike I can cope with. Also consider the aesthetics of riding brakeless! a track bike is a cycle in its rawest most beautiful form and I do not believe a drilled Colnago looks cool, no sir, it looks mutilated. Used to own a super lowered vw bug, the bomb and my old man said I would tear the exhaust of and do the car harm, but I did'nt notice, its all about the cool, style, flow and that relates back to ridin brakeless, its damn cool, looks wicked, not just anyone can do it and do it well and you cant fake it which is the brilliant part. Get some new jack who read an article about DQM trackstar bikes in gq and now they want a piece?? hmm we'll see. Remember real men take risks, thats what sets us apart, sometimes stupid, maybe, but its all about calculated risk. You will get knocked off by some [email protected] fixed or not, so its comes down to earned experience and risk. I was riding and winning on track bikes years ago and I know I got the minerals, if you are not sure then drill that frame, just dont try and sell it to me afterwards.
    • CommentAuthoremptor
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2009

I grew up with a robinson 20" blacked-out with no brakes. I like the foot in tire drift. I recently got my first fixie & crashed on my first big hill. I'll get brakes when I get a freewheel. Stopping sucks.
    man for commuting and everyday fucking around I don't need brakes but I just recently started riding road in a pack of people and believe me... with fools going like 35mph on a flat straight you WANT brakes. I ride track and the speeds on there are higher than 35mph but your gear ratio also has to be around 90 some inches per rev at least... or you will spin out like crazy.
    Also I would pay to see some of you "fixie is all I ride" types bombing down the hills in SF at 50+mph. Your legs would spin like the roadrunner with those small ass gears you be riding.

As far as drilling that frame: HELL NO that's rape. Don't drill your frame just get a bike to fit the purpose. I ride fixed on the road but I acknowledge that a real road cyclist is a lot better equipped than me. I know it is about the rider and not the bike but I honestly don't see a lot of fixed gears in the tour de France or any other road competition and yes a lot of those riders do ride track as well and yes most of them would smoke a lot of fixie riders in a heartbeat.
    • CommentAuthorthe rabbi
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2009

Posted By: aliderkrasseI honestly don't see a lot of fixed gears in the tour de France or any other road competition and yes a lot of those riders do ride track as well and yes most of them would smoke a lot of fixie riders in a heartbeat.
    that's because they wouldn't stand a chance? a lot of pros do train on fixed gears during the off season with 42-17 ratios though. spin to win.
    • CommentAuthorianmichael
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2009

i usually toss my brake on when the snow arrives. new york city plows use the bike lane as a snow depository. i need a little extra comfort in the winter.
    I figure, if you want to run brakeless, you have to start somewhere. I decided to go fixed and brakeless straight away. I approached it as learning a whole new skill, and if you are sensible about it, it's an amazing learning experience. If you are a twat, and go rinsing right away, you might come unstuck. But if you are respectful of what you have undertaken, and go one step at a time, it can be very rewarding. I learnt to hop skid and then skid stop. Wether you have brakes or not, if you have slow reactions, or are not focused, you will eat shit.
    • CommentAuthorewurl
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2009

KP WRAPPER ftw, my feelings exactly.
    Last summer myself and a few friends were nearly broadsided by a fixster riding at night w/ no lights down a moderately busy street. Bro was spinning as hard as he could while passing a car (further obscuring his already invisible presence due to said lack of lights) and had enough time to yell, "Shit! FUCK YOU FUCK YOU fuck Fuck FUCK!!!" Followed by, "LOOK BOTH WAYS BEFORE ENTERING AN INTERSECTION!" Bro then proceeded to run straight into a curb with the loud crack of some carbon/beer-can aluminum track frame crumpling between his legs. Bro was pissed and the folks laughing from across the street probably didn't sooth his discontent. I'd have been pissed too if that brakeless motherfucker who couldn't control his shit had clipped me. Ride what works for you but if you hit my hi-ten converted mountain bike with all its impractical racks, fenders and lights then i might have to get very mad and shake my fist and probably go home and realign my frame. Jerk.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.