velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorVman
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2008 edited

race cars have brakes. motorcycles have brakes. trains have brakes.

my point being: the faster one can stop determines the (increased) speed at which one can go. [
    • CommentAuthorsatapana
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2008 edited

agreed Vman, exactly why i ride with a brake, i like to ride fast to keep up with the cars so i need to stop fast
    i can remember dozens of times downtown where if i didnt have an oh shit lever i would have died
    besides, i really have nothing to prove and the only time i rode brakeless, i stripped my hub while slowing down (scary as sheit)
    • CommentAuthorj e SS e
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2008 edited

I rode brakeless for a year or so when I first got into the fixed gear thing. I'm totally comfortable with it as far as bike handling goes, but it KILLS my knees. I take glucosamine anyway but that doesn't fix the problem which is that riding brakeless kills your knees. It puts a lot of very unnatural pressure at very unnatural angles on your knees. I eventually went with a front brake and it made all the difference. Of course it's not as "cool", but if you think a front brake or absence thereof in any way reflects your machismo, well, stay in school Jr., you still got some learnin' to do.

Aside from the knee factor, the fact is that with you front brake you can stop considerable faster, and your rear tire will last exponentially longer. But you'll have to live with knowing that not buying a new rear tire every week is for pussies. :D
    • CommentAuthorj e SS e
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2008 edited

Posted By: terrible_one49Since I started riding fixed, I've never had a brake on any of my bikes. I tried riding my friends road bike recently and nearly ate shit because my brain did not think fast enough to reach out and grab this lever to slow down. When you ride brakeless, you think with your legs, and it's your legs that make you go, and make you stop. Very simple. I find that I can react and slow down faster with my legs, then I can reach out and remember to squeeze a little lever to slow down.

It's more important to be 110% aware of your surroundings and what is going to happen ahead of you and what you will do if that car turns or pulls out etc, rather then putting all your faith in some little mechanical thingy as a brake.

You admittedly lack the mental capacity to effectively utilize hand-actuated brakes? And they let you out into the Big World, unsupervised? Scary.
    brakes are for pussy's

... and people able to use language.
    I'm sure he intended to say "brakes are for pussy is."
    I ride in a city where no brakes = hassles from the cops. So, I run a brake. Sure is handy when the rear wheel breaks loose in the rain, and that interesection is coming up fast!
    You think it's a contraction? Because I thought maybe it was possessive. Note that there's no period. I think he was writing about something belonging to pussy, but was attacked by vampires at the last moment. Or maybe a saber-toothed tiger. Or an elephant. Anyway, something with big teeth.

Now we'll never know what brakes are for, except that pussy apparently needs them.
    • CommentAuthorAaron C
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2008

+1

when i red your comment i nearly fell over laughing. its so true. maybe their was big scary front break that came out of no were and stoled his english language skills.
    • CommentAuthorAaron C
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2008

or it could have been a dear.
    I apologize for putting "pussy" and "teeth" in the same paragraph.

Anyway, Aaron, I'm more inclined to believe that it was a beer.
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2008

Please stop. If you want to run brakes, run them. If you don't know how to stop without them, run brakes. If you know what you are doing and don't need them, don't run them. If you've never ridden a fixed gear bike or don't know how to stop one, then you have no business commenting on it.

Now brakeless on a BMX, that's different. I used to think this was just plain stupid, but the truth is that your foot on top of the tire will stop you just as well as a U-brake with a Gyro cable and a one-finger lever.
    • CommentAuthorSir Duke
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2008

Posted By: Vmanrace cars have brakes. motorcycles have brakes. trains have brakes.

my point being: the faster one can stop determines the (increased) speed at which one can go. [
    This is the reason I have a brake. Fast is good.

I also run brakes because DC drivers are horrid.
    • CommentAuthorElxiddicus
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2008

In terms of efficiency, I don't get why brakes would make one use more energy. I realise that it means less weight and therefore less friction, but if you need to slow down your pedals with your legs, doesn't that use energy? Also, isn't coasting another good way to save energy? Are there efficiency factors that I haven't taken into consideration?
    If brakeless isn't more efficient, I'm afraid I don't see a point to it, it just means buying a special back wheel.
    • CommentAuthorwowzah
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2008 edited

if the fad part of this fixed gear thing continues to rage on, there is going to be list like the Iraqi war of punk kids with no skills and the innocent victims

if you have been riding bikes for ages, and are super vigilant, go for brakeless.

but a punk kid with no skills who has not been on a bike much... someone is going to get hurt plain and simple, hopefully it's just the rider

maybe more people need to think about other people, and how their actions can impact other people
    • CommentAuthorma matao
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2008

i'm brakeless, i rode for so long with a brake and never used it except to see if it still worked so when i switched my handlebars i just didn't bother putting them back on
    i ride brakeless because it's fun and it keeps you on your toes, but there are so many guys out there who make it seem like they're better riders than people with brakes. they are tough guys who brag about their scars, and they ride brakeless like they're trying to prove something.
    I rode fixed with a front brake for about a year, and I used it pretty often. This summer I ended up ditching my conversion for a track bike, but the fork isn't drilled, nor can it be (didn't really realize that until I took it home and built it), so I had to learn how to ride brakeless pretty quickly. Sometimes I find myself wishing I had a brake, but can't afford a new fork for the time being. I have gotten pretty good at just using my legs, but I find that I can't take as many risks as before, because looking cool just isn't worth getting destroyed by a car and possibly ruining my chances of ever getting on a bike again.
    • CommentAuthoririshskyler
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2008 edited

Posted By: meatrollITT:

:)

haha
    this is great
    • CommentAuthoro_O
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2008

Posted By: ForrestLBDMI rode fixed with a front brake for about a year, and I used it pretty often. This summer I ended up ditching my conversion for a track bike, but the fork isn't drilled, nor can it be (didn't really realize that until I took it home and built it), so I had to learn how to ride brakeless pretty quickly. Sometimes I find myself wishing I had a brake, but can't afford a new fork for the time being. I have gotten pretty good at just using my legs, but I find that I can't take as many risks as before, because looking cool just isn't worth getting destroyed by a car and possibly ruining my chances of ever getting on a bike again.

you can get brake sets made for road training that clamp on to your fork.
    http://www.benscycle.net/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=188_482
    not the most attractive solution, but it works.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.