velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

I recently got a tange bottom bracket for my sugino's. I looked for reviews and i couldn't really find much reviews and the ones that i did find were positive. I opened the package and the BB seemed pretty heavy. Has anyone ever used a tange bb? or should i even be concerned with the weight of the bb? Sugino's are super light tho.
    • CommentAuthordeermatt
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2011

The weight between bottom brackets will be maybe 50 grams? It really makes no difference, and odds are, its on your commuter / street bike , which means anything going in it will probably be overkill. If it spins smooth, put it in and ride the bike.
    Bottom brackets are usually really heavy if it's your standard square taper, track specific bottom bracket. They need to be super stiff and strong with zero flex.

A few extra grams on your bike will not make you any slower.
    Thanks!
    • CommentAuthoronionskin
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2011

Good news, It is hard to build a heavy FG bike.
    Now for the bad news: your Sugino's are not the lightest thing out there.
    Back to the good news: it matters not! Stiff is way more gooder!

If it makes you feel any better, I'd bet you a nickel my phil BB is heavier than your tange BB and it cost me a load more.
    Don't fret, go ride. Try and see how fast you can wear it out.
    i ran that bb about 4 years ago. its a solid BB, cheap and its good. weight.........dont worry about it.
    Do you know if you got the right taper?? Many higher end suginos are iso taper and people don't realize it. Just makin sure because it can lead to you assaulting your stem. With your face.
    Do you know if you got the right taper?? Many higher end suginos are iso taper and people don't realize it. Just makin sure because it can lead to you assaulting your stem. With your face.
    Yea I'm 100% sure I got the right one :) there will be no face assaulting anytime soon. Haha let's hope.

Glad to know weight isn't an issue.. Thanks guys
    • CommentAuthorpolitburo
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2011 edited

The biggest weight issue is always going to be rotational weight: if you're running deep vs or some heavy, strong-ass wheel, a few extra grams up or down on the bb wont make a difference at all. If you want to be a weight weenie, start by getting super light wheels. Your bottom bracket is really not worth replacing for the weight alone!
    • CommentAuthorKimmo
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2011

Posted By: deermattThe weight between bottom brackets will be maybe 50 grams?

Uh, more like up to 200g.

Shimano LP27: 360g
    Syncros Ti: 175g
    • CommentAuthorrollins
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2011

Posted By: politburoThe biggest weight issue is always going to be rotational weight: if you're running deep vs or some heavy, strong-ass wheel, a few extra grams up or down on the bb wont make a difference at all. If you want to be a weight weenie, start by getting super light wheels. Your bottom bracket is really not worth replacing for the weight alone!

This is usually the easiest place to drop the most amount of weight also - especially on fixed gears. Changing wheels can easily shed 1.5 to 2 lbs based on the $$$$ outlay.

\

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.

velospace | About | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | contact | blog | status | site map | ©ActionHub.com
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.