velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

HELP?

I have a "classic" (if that?) "Kuwahara Classic" steel frame road bike, and am looking for info you might have on the brand and about this bike.

It has Sugino VP road triple cranks, Suntour LePree components, Dia Compe brakes, Nitto stem and bars, Kuwahara headset.

frame is Triple Butted "Ishiwata EX" CrMO tubing, pretty boring lugs.

I think its almost all original. The pedals were vintage MKS quill pedals, but have been borrowed for my '97 Schwinn Traveler III conversion

any info or comments welcome!
    That's a nice frame. Don't let the boring lugs fool you.
    thanks!
    Nice bike. I used to have the Carerra 12 speed model, mint.
    I think that in E.T. The Extra Terrestrial Elliot's BMX was a Kuwahara. Somehow I doubt that's the kind of insight you're seeking though.

That's a nice bike, by the way.
    • CommentAuthorSkylar
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2011

I have a Carrera Sport model I'm SS'ing when I get to it. Kuwahara also made Apollo-branded bikes.

Mine's Tange 900. Not bad steel.

Yours looks like it's in way better shape than mine.

Cool bike, you rarely see them.
    • CommentAuthorBrannigan
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2011

I had a Kuwahara Cougar from what appears to be at or near the same year, the graphics were identical in the logo text. They are uncommon at best and I think you have a good frame here. I am guessing the weight (of the frame/fork alone) isn't bad.
    • CommentAuthorSkylar
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2011

The downtube script and the headtube/seattube graphics are from the mid 80s. Mine is an 85 and I think around 84-86 they looked like this.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.