velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

so lets say that money is not an issue. im a big dude that rides hard. i built my bike with sugino messengers, why?, im not sure. im gonna piss on the messengers when i take them off. i ride a track frame and my normal riding is commuting between work and home, proally 10mi. round trip. im looking for something stiff but also super smooth. so whats my best bet?
    SRAM Omnium
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2011 edited

Sram Omniums for sure.

They come in both black:

And grey:

Bike island has them for ~165 http://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_STOR20.cgi?Action=Details&ProdID=1371
    i did my research on the omniums and the only negative seems to be potential drag. and that the bb isnt sealed that well, bearings get dirty.
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2011

I don't have omniums myself, but I think the new 2011 BB solved the minimal drag issues.
    Who are you racing that you need to worry about bb bearing drag?
    • CommentAuthorpolitburo

you need all the aero you can get for your cat 6 commuter races.
    i mean i do go to the velodrome once and a while but i mainly race my nuts, my nuts have sealed ceramic bearings so im just trying to keep up.
    • CommentAuthorpolitburo

get some sugino 75s used and call it a day.
    • CommentAuthorf64

I'd keep the messenger and save your money
    Posted By: politburoyou need all the aero you can get for your cat 6 commuter races.

hahhahah bike snob
    Posted By: f64I'd keep the messenger and save your money

im gonna put the messenger setup on my girls bike, shes 109lbs im sure she wont break the chain-ring bolts as i did. messengers are shit dude. unless your a lil one.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Posted By: gntly-gnysim sure she wont break the chain-ring bolts as i did

If that's the case just get some beefy bolts.

Why all the hate on omniums?
    Omnium best bang for your buck its cheap on bikeisland. They are the best cranks Ive ever owned. It is easy to install chainring bolts have broken on me big deal replace with steel bolts. Sugino 75 are awesome too but arms alone are $230 give or take Chainring $100 and bottom bracket $120 vs Sram Omnium arms, chainring, bottom bracket for $165. Omnium are as good as Sugino 75 that I heard. I have Sugino 75 on the way via mail so I shall compare both cranks for myself soon!
    Omnium for sure.
    I've been riding them for 3+years and they are still doing great.
    i did replace the chainring bolts and got a new BB though.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2011 edited

Posted By: bensonisajewIt is easy to install chainring bolts have broken on me big deal replace with steel bolts.

It's hard for me to grasp the reasoning behind alloy chainring bolts for anything other than for-money (or for-medal) track racers. The weight differential between alloy and steel is small enough that there's no practical advantage for anyone else.

Does anyone make bolts out of Ti?
    Spend lots of money! Campy! Woo!
    • CommentAuthorpeazweag
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2011

how big is this guy?
    I don't think you need any high performance cranks for 10mile rides.
    However, omniums do fine and the new BB is way better. I wrote a review for the new bb on here a couple of months back, since then I have put only 350km due to the lack of good weather and enough time...
    I have some andel non branded cranks on my commuter and they do very well with all the bad weather. You can always get some sugino/dura ace/record cranks and a good quality sealed BB (SKF BB seem to be good) if you want the bling or feel the need for better performance.
    Also it seems like you can get amazing deals on stronglights "track 2000" crankset which is like a beefier miche advanced crankset. Works with the same BB as miche so you get a good working set-up for quite cheap.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.