velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

Just curious on other fuel prices. 2.95 @ the station by my house in Denver... I hear that's cheap compared to everywhere else... I think I will trade my truck for another bicycle soon, before the bike market spikes and my truck is worth half-a-huffy.
    • CommentAuthorjay denman
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2011

it"s about 2.95 hear . i live about 30 south of knoxville T.N. i have family in upstste N.Y and there fellin the pain!
    • CommentAuthorMKE_BIKE

it's $3.15 here in milwaukee
    damn! here in central valley CA its like 3.95
    3.95!?!? Why 1.00 fluctuation?
    3.95!?!? Why 1.00 fluctuation?
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2011 edited

Its like 3.10 here in Houston for me. My car takes premium D:
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

$3.38 for regular 97 octane unleaded at the cheap gas station, six blocks from my house in Berkeley, CA.

The SF Bay Area has the highest gas prices in the country; has for decades. This is partly due to real estate prices, but it's mostly the oil industry's act of revenge against the state with the most energetic environmental/air pollution laws. The Bay Area and LA are the most enviro parts of the state, by far, and politicians from the Bay Area kick off most of the legislation.

We have several refineries here, mostly in the strip of bayshore running north and east of my house. It is a regular event around here to chemical explosions offgassing nasty stuff all over several neighborhoods full of very poor folks.

At the price peak a few years back, the gas at said gas station (EconoGas) was $4.85. And in San Francisco proper, it broke the $5 mark.

I hate the oil industry right back.
    $3.40 for regular and $3.89 for premium in chicago
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: NightStalker$3.40 for regular and $3.89 for premium in chicago

Is that name-brand gas, or Larry's Gas n'Gulp?
    Posted By: eaglerock
    Posted By: NightStalker$3.40 for regular and $3.89 for premium in chicago

Is that name-brand gas, or Larry's Gas n'Gulp?

shell gas and bp is about the same
    Posted By: veggieIts like 3.10 here in Houston for me. My car takes premium D:

ha! 3.95 for premium here.
    • CommentAuthorlatron
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2011

High gas prices are good. The more people have to pay the more they think before firing up that SUV. Fewer cars on the streets meets more room for bikes means safer cycling means more cyclists means less pollution. In Europe the average price of gas is the equivalent of $9 or so a gallon. We should be paying the same here -- it'd be a better world.
    • CommentAuthorwes m.

Well, when the world wants to start paying more for me to bring produce to market then I will be willing to accept that high gas prices are good.
    • CommentAuthorheadphone

get used to higher prices and adjust your business as necessary. $4 average by the summer.
    • CommentAuthormeatman

I honestly haven't paid attention to gas prices in over 3 years... I'm really glad I don't drive.
    • CommentAuthorheadphone
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2011 edited

Posted By: latronHigh gas prices are good. The more people have to pay the more they think before firing up that SUV. Fewer cars on the streets meets more room for bikes means safer cycling means more cyclists means less pollution. In Europe the average price of gas is the equivalent of $9 or so a gallon. We should be paying the same here -- it'd be a better world.

Europe has far better public transportation infrastructure and more walkable cities...and the people, in general, are a bit more bicycle friendly.

I think Americans will continue driving right up to the brink of the Peak Oil Apocalypse. The urban-planning in so many towns and cities is incredibly auto-centric; they'll just whine more and blame the president more. By the time people ditch their cars, bicycles wont make much sense either when bicycle tires and lubes and grease and components with plastic (i.e. products made with oil) are prohibitively expensive to use and replace.

We've really painted ourselves in a corner, I think.

I recommend http://kunstlercast.com/
    • CommentAuthorlatron
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2011 edited

Posted By: headphoneI think Americans will continue driving right up to the brink of the Peak Oil Apocalypse.

No question. The Onion had a news short in 2005 titled "Public Outraged As Price Of Fast-Depleting, Non-Renewable Resource Skyrockets" and nothing has changed since then. Funny, I don't recall the right to cheap gas being in the U.S. Constitution, much less the Ten Commandments. Sadly, the vast majority of Americans seem determined to drive their cars right off the cliff.
    Posted By: headphone
    Posted By: latronHigh gas prices are good. The more people have to pay the more they think before firing up that SUV. Fewer cars on the streets meets more room for bikes means safer cycling means more cyclists means less pollution. In Europe the average price of gas is the equivalent of $9 or so a gallon. We should be paying the same here -- it'd be a better world.

Europe has far better public transportation infrastructure and more walkable cities...and the people, in general, are a bit more bicycle friendly.

I think Americans will continue driving right up to the brink of the Peak Oil Apocalypse. The urban-planning in so many towns and cities is incredibly auto-centric; they'll just whine more and blame the president more. By the time people ditch their cars, bicycles wont make much sense either when bicycle tires and lubes and grease and components with plastic (i.e. products made with oil) are prohibitively expensive to use and replace.

We've really painted ourselves in a corner, I think.

I recommendhttp://kunstlercast.com/

Very well said. its a larger issue than people acknowledge.
    $3.11 here in Western Massachusetts. We fill the tank every couple of weeks, I think. It costs like 30 bucks.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.