velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

Hi, I'm new here, I've checked the various wheel-set threads and got some pointers, however I am still in need of directions to my thoughts.

So I'd like a new pair of wheel-set for my build. Considering the following:

1. Mavic Ellipse
    2. Reynolds Recon
    3. Deep-V (or some other rims suggested?) with Profile track hubs

I've heard a lot about Mavic Open Pros, but I don't really dig the look of it. I just cycle and commute and sometimes drop off the curb. Not so heavy on the drops, just need something smooth and kinda light. Budget wise similar to those mentioned (1-3).

Any inputs? Thanks!
    Mavic Ellipse I hear mixed stories with them 1 never having issues another bad wheels for street the bearings are crap and only good for track but the newer version I cant say anything like that. Reynolds I never hear issues with but I guess if you want durability for commuting the Deep V is the way to go.
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2011

formula to deep vees, no need for profile hubs
    yeah ellipse and recon are track specific, but i see and read a lot about some having them on the streets, so i was just wondering and assumed they could hold up on the streets.

i was contemplating about the deep-vs cause i heard that ever-since (god knows when) their quality standard has dropped or something? fill me in, eventhough i have faith in them hahaha
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2011

I can't personally comment on deep vees, I ride open pros.
    I owned Deep V to formula (Currently riding them) to Dura Ace I feel no difference between hubs. The rims are strong for commuting I never really have to true it often I hop curbs to stupid bunny hops hit pot holes so the Deep V hold well for street use. Reynolds or Ellipse are track wheels and should stay in track maybe light street riding. You can have Deep V to formula wheelset for $200 give or take.
    yeah right now considering the formulas. not that i have loads of money but why not the profile hubs if given a choice?
    • CommentAuthorstevo564

If your after deep rims I would say +1 on deep v to formula, relatively cheap and reliable wheels, probably easier to replace parts/work on. Having said that I have run ellipse on my FTP for the last 8 months or so, with quit a bit of street riding (approx 80-100km a week), dropping curbs, hitting pot-holes etc and haven't had a prob yet. I am also about 90kg at last check so not exactly a small guy....
    You said you wanted somthing light, so i would consider the mavic cxp33. semi high profile, light and yet sturdy enough for some abuse.

Actually for commuting I would just go cxp22 to formula hubs. No need for expensive hubs for the couple miles... Although it's always nice to have good quality stuff.
    I've been riding the Reynolds Recon's as my street-specific wheels for over a year now, and they are outstanding. New England is filled with potholes and shitty streets, and I drop curbs all the time. The wheels are perfectly true, and amazingly the spokes are still very high tension and never needed adjusting. They are simply amazing wheels and not just a track-only wheel.

For the track, I ride the Reynolds SDV66's, which are the same hubs, spokes, but a deeper rim. These don't touch the streets.
    • CommentAuthorMancha150

Posted By: terrible_one49I've been riding the Reynolds Recon's as my street-specific wheels for over a year now, and they are outstanding. New England is filled with potholes and shitty streets, and I drop curbs all the time. The wheels are perfectly true, and amazingly the spokes are still very high tension and never needed adjusting. They are simply amazing wheels and not just a track-only wheel.

For the track, I ride the Reynolds SDV66's, which are the same hubs, spokes, but a deeper rim. These don't touch the streets.

And the recon's are still on sale for 500 from Jenson USA, which is the same price as the ellipses if I am not mistaken. I would love to pick up one of these before they disappear
    hey thanks for the constructive input, especially terrible, u always do man. i shall consider the recon, i've been trying to get it at the lowest price ever on ebay for like USD360+ but it usually gets bid way high. so i'll just resort to jenson, not bad of a deal.

but it doesn't include lockring and cog, does it? if not, what would be good? :)
    • CommentAuthorf64

Street & commuting ? This is an obvious one ! Unless.. you don't care about burning a hole in your pocket of course.

Forget the Reynolds & Ellipses.
    If you're commuting, deep v to formulas.
    Ellipses are frustrating at times w/ truing & cog/lockring + other side issues
    & the Reynolds = full carbon clinchers/I'm sure if they're track specific, the carbon b-surface on these wheels aren't meant for braking YET if using a brake, you have to be careful w/ the heat build up & can't forget about carbon specific b-pads/braking differentiation.

The street riding/commute & jumping off curbs wouldn't mix up well with these wheels. Some might say that they have these wheels and they're great YET if being used on the street, it's not being used to it's full advantages of what it's actually made for.

Goodluck !
    It's rather humorous, but when Reynolds Recon wheels first hit the market, this is the description that ALL the sites selling them were using…

Perfect for that sick Schwinn Varsity fix gear conversion, the Reynolds Recon Track Wheelset will round out your build with speed and impeccable style. Seriously man, with all the money earned from selling off Simplex derailleurs and Weinmann brakes there’s no reason to skimp out on the spinners. But, on the other hand, if you’re into Velodrome racing the Recon could also lay down some fast pursuit times, and drop the competition during a sprint.

Lightweight and aerodynamic carbon rim for lighting fast acceleration
    Bolt on 15mm axle so you can finally use that sweet bottle opener/wrench combo
    Rim Strips, valve extensions, tire levers, and spoke wrench included for ease of installation
    Bottom Line:
    Drop a Reynolds bomb on the street or at the ‘drome.
    • CommentAuthorf64
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2011 edited

LOL is that real ?

*I just checked online, it is real.
    Whoever wrote that should get fired
    Posted By: f64LOL is that real ?

*I just checked online, it is real.
    Whoever wrote that should get fired mad style points

ftfy

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.