velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorlatron
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2009

What does everyone think of the ads on Velospace that have recently started to pop up everywhere?
    • CommentAuthorjam guy

You have to pay the bills somehow.
    • CommentAuthorAaron C

sucks but what are you going to do.
    • CommentAuthorlatron

I understand the need for financial support. But so many of the ads just seem wrong for the people who come to Velospace -- "Lose weight!" "Eat junk food!" "Find a golf course now!" Ummm, no thanks.

Also, isn't Velospace an .org? Would be happy with being able to donate just to skip the ads.

L.
    • CommentAuthorfilthpunx

Posted By: latronI understand the need for financial support. But so many of the ads just seem wrong for the people who come to Velospace -- "Lose weight!" "Eat junk food!" "Find a golf course now!" Ummm, no thanks.

Also, isn't Velospace an .org? Would be happy with being able to donate just to skip the ads.

L.

thats not a bad idea
    Honestly I'm not bothered by them.
    • CommentAuthorgreg

If you guys pay the bills and comp me for the hours I've put in over the past four years I'll get rid of the ads.

I ran velospace for 3.5 years without any income from the site. Recently the cost and time to keep the site running was getting to be too much. I had to decide whether to shut it down or figure out how to recoup my expenses. Rather than shut down I thought I would put up some ads and let it go from there. The company that sells the ads consists of mostly sports related sites so the ads should be somewhat relevant, but I have seen some hilarious off-topic stuff.

The ".org" refers to the community aspect of the site, and not the commercial or non-commercial status of velospace as a registered business.
    • CommentAuthorgreg

Oh, and the Marketplace is 100% free and you guys are welcome to make as much money as you can off of it. This is totally unlike eBay and almost any other online marketplace that will take a listing fee or percentage of the sale price.

If you guys are making money using velospace I'll be making some too
    • CommentAuthorlatron
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2009 edited

Don't get me wrong -- definitely appreciate all the hard work you and everyone else involved in Velospace have put in. I don't make money off the site and never will. It's a great community and I'm sure we'd all like it to continue to grow and keep connecting cyclists. As said, would be more than happy to donate to the cause if a button could be added on the home page. Heck, Wikipedia did it and raked in six million! :)
    Yeah, Greg, I've been here for a year and a half. I'd be happy to kick in a membership fee, particularly if it eliminated the ads for me.

It might be a pain to display (or not) the ads by user, but maybe it's not, and if it's not a pain, I'd be happy to kick in a few bucks to support the site.

You could throw in some other bennies: bigger images, maybe?

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.