velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

For my next frame, I plan on having a wheelset buit with a phil wood in the front and a dure ace 7600 in the rear. I would've used phil woods for both, except I want the option to put on whatever cog I want in the back. I know that phil woods are sealed and the Dura Aces are looseball. However, is there gonna be any difference in performance by riding on two different hubs? I'm guessing I wouldn't feel the difference.
    • CommentAuthorHaegan
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2011

why cant you put whatever cog you want on a phil? just dont buy crappy cogs and it will be fine. but if they are both properly adjusted you wont notice the difference at all. (matched sets do look nicer in my opinion though)
    Well I have a EAI superstar cog that I plan on using, but I've read that it's not advised to use any other cog but the phil wood cog cuz of threading issues..??
    You wont have any issues I use a Philwood cog on my Dura Ace hub and my friends used a DA cog on Phil and its fine it is just the lockring threads you cannot mix.
    so just verifying here, you're saying if I use a DA cog on a phil wood I would have to use a DA lockring and not a phil wood lockring
    • CommentAuthorquidose

So whitekimchee is so far the only successful FGF/TonmyT alias?
    • CommentAuthorquidose

But AFAYC, in this case, the lockring should be hub-specific.
    Posted By: quidoseSo whitekimchee is so far the only successful FGF/TonmyT alias?

I don't get this ref, elaborate
    nevermind, not trolling. just wanted to make sure.
    • CommentAuthorAaron C
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2011 edited

Phil Wood intranetzFor optimal performance, we recommend using the Phil Wood track cog. They are offered in both 1/8″ and 3/32″. Our specification for the threading is 1.370 x 24 tpi, but Phil Wood hubs will accommodate most high quality cogs. If, during installation, the cog jams or binds, STOP. Forcing a cog onto the hub will result in irreparable damage to the threads. As with any cog installation, lubricate both the cog and lockring threads. Some cog manufacturers are making cogs that are not ideal for use with Phil Wood hubs due to their thickness (which is generally a result of plating). For this reason, we do not recommend using Surly or Euro-Asia cogs with our track hubs. The additional thickness can result in stripping of the lockring and/or hub threads because there is not enough thread engagement. Please call us if you have additional questions.
    • CommentAuthorAaron C

Also you will need to use a Phil or Campag lockring, as the lockring threading is different.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Okay, let's summarize the issue with bulletpoints:

1. wkc is building a new wheelset.

2. He already has a Dura Ace cog that he wants to use.

3. He also wants to use a Phil front hub, although he doesn't seem to have purchased one yet.

4. He's worried that a Dura Ace cog will not thread correctly onto a Phil rear hub, so he's proposing to substitute a Dura Ace rear instead.

so:

1. good for you.

2. Dura Ace cogs are threaded 1.37" x 24 tpi, just like every track cog in the world. Any correctly threaded track cog will thread on any correctly threaded track hub.

3. Phil front hub - again, good for you. A chunky-big teenager T-boned me in an intersection two weeks ago, and pretzeled my Mavic/Phil front wheel. The rim is destroyed; the hub is fine. I will be ranting about this later.

4. Assuming the threading on both the DA cog and the Phil hub are good, and you thread it on properly, a DA cog will fit perfectly on a Phil track hub. What will not fit is a DA lockring; while cogs all have identical threading, Europe and Japan have different standards for lockring threading. Phil Wood uses the ISO standard, which is more common in Europe. Phil, Campagnolo and Miche lockrings will fit, while Shimano, Sugino and EAI lockrings will not. Match the lockring to the hub, not the lockring to the cog.

Aside from practical considerations, the need to match hubs is mostly aesthetic. I have a number of wheelsets with non-matching hubs: A tubular set with a LF Campy Nuovo Tipo front and a Campy medium-flange rear; a CX set with a Dura Ace front and a White Industries rear. Functionally, they're fine. My next wheelset will have non-matching hubs: A dynamo front and a Phil rear for touring.

Horses for courses.
    oh so I got it the other way around. I've read up on this before I've always asked myself why PW says not to use DA or surly cogs. is it just a marketing gimmick to get ppl to purchase their cogs?
    eaglerock, thanks for dropping the knowledge. I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic with the "good for yous" but if you were it's all good. Good thing I didn't purchase the DA lockring.
    njs cabron fixie biek pr0n or die!!!!11!!! custum kalavinka bridgestone chari and co affinty leader hand made usa campagnolo handlebar clipless sag bag chrome messenger no breaks bro0o0o0
    Dura ace cogs will work just fine on the Philwood just cant mix lockrings so use philwoodlock rings with philwood hubs and shimano lockrings on shimano hubs. njs broo0o0
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: whitekimcheeI've always asked myself why PW says not to use DA or surly cogs. is it just a marketing gimmick to get ppl to purchase their cogs?

My read on it is that Phil's saying that the Surly and EAI cogs are thicker than most (anyway, they're thicker than Phil's own cogs), mostly because they're chrome-plated, and the chrome thickens the cogs up a little bit. Without ever having experimented with the combination, I'm betting that the Sur/EAI cogs jut a little bit over the lockring threading, and Phil's afraid that you won't be able to torque the lockring far enough down to keep the cog from slipping, because there won't be enough lockring threading left.

I've just checked Phil's track hub pages (standard threaded, bolt-on ISO), and they don't mention DA at all.

So: Anybody's cog (except Surly or EAI, and avoid plated cogs generally) + Phil/Campagnolo/Miche lockring. Phil's lockrings are $32 MSRP; CycleChoice has them for $25 - pricy compared to DA, but a lot cheaper than Campagnolo at $40.

Posted By: whitekimcheeI'm not sure if you were being sarcastic with the "good for yous" but if you were it's all good.

Not me; not no never me...actually, I like Phil hubs and BBs a lot, and I can enthusiastically recommend them to all. I just eBay-bought a 126mm 7-speed freewheel hub last week that I really have no use for, 'cause it's 32H. Either I'm going to have to build up a retro-80s roadie wheel (or a 650b?), or I've got a goodie for an interested party.

(once and for all, why not the best?)
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Posted By: Stanley Ipkissnjs cabron fixie biek pr0n or die!!!!11!!! custum kalavinka bridgestone chari and co affinty leader hand made usa campagnolo handlebar clipless sag bag chrome messenger no breaks bro0o0o0

What a great first post.
    Posted By: whitekimcheeI'm not sure if you were being sarcastic with the "good for yous" but if you were it's all good.

He's not. He's congratulating you on teaching yourself something that a lot of people are afraid of. It takes patience, but it's good, meditative fun, and you get just the wheel you wanted.
    • CommentAuthorKevint143
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2011

just buy formula..you wont notice the different in street riding save some coin

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.