velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthormax5480
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2011 edited

Hi. I've been saving all my money for a while to upgrade my steel Bianchi Pista framset to an aluminum frame/ carbon fork setup. I've wanted to try the aluminum/ carbon track bike for some time and decided to go with Dodici Special or Gara. But now that I've got money in my hand I'm having second thoughts and am thinking that I could just get a new paint job for my pista and a new carbon fork. I commute and do 20 mile canyon rides on my pista. I've done a few centuries on my road bike and am planning to start doing those centuries on a fixed gear once the season starts back up - thinking that the aluminum frame might be beneficial. What do you all think? Should I upgrade my frame or just stick with what I got and maybe upgrade to a carbon fork?
    • CommentAuthorKevint143
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2011

ugh...

Get whatever you want...No matter which way you go the bike will be impractical for what you want to ride...
    Posted By: Kevint143ugh...

Get whatever you want...No matter which way you go the bike will be impractical for what you want to ride...

the sardonic truth.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

It's your money so do whatever you want but a carbon fork or an aluminum frame is not going to help you do a century.
    Posted By: max5480I've done a few centuries on my road bike and am planning to start doing those centuries on a fixed gear

I own a hammer, but I like pounding in nails with a screwdriver.

In all seriousness though

Posted By: veggieIt's your money so do whatever you want
    • CommentAuthorveggie

I also like to use pliers to unscrew screws.
    • CommentAuthorKevint143

and for the record...not trying to be a jerk..just realistic.

if you insist on getting a fixed gear for centuries don't get a track bike...look at one that has more of a road geometry
    • CommentAuthorSkidMark

I think you'd be more comfortable on the steel frame, and if it's the newest version of the "Pista" it has road geometry, the headtube angle is 72 degrees.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

It looks like he has an '07
    • CommentAuthorFranzen

Don't know much about these but I have heard good things and they seem to be made for the kind of riding you describe

http://www.wabicycles.com/special_bike_spec_red.html
    • CommentAuthorKevint143

Posted By: SkidMarkI think you'd be more comfortable on the steel frame, and if it's the newest version of the "Pista" it has road geometry, the headtube angle is 72 degrees.

was more or less stating that if he gets a new frame....look into something with a road not a track geo

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.