velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

So I have a Kilo TT, and I've seen many of them without the "Mercier" script and all the other little graphics it came with. MY question is, how would I go about remving them? There is no clearcoat over them, and I already tried to chisel it off. I tried it very lightly, but some of the paint ended up coming off. Do I sound really dense, as the answer is obvious, or is there some ancient chinese secret to doing this?
    try sanding really carefully use different strengths of sand paper, you should get the writing of but you will see the surface appears a bit dull/matt afterwards, just put a glossy clear coat over it once finished
    • CommentAuthorjdiamond
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2008

i would say use a really fine grit, and lightly sand until the decals are gone. dont rush though, just take your time. if you get impatient and start sanding harder you will take paint off
    Alright, sounds good. I really don't care if the bike looks rattyish (it's my beater/commuter) so I'll try that. Thanks!
    • CommentAuthorAaron C
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2008

i have a tt for my winter bike and i believe(believe) that they are in fact decals not painted on and they are under the clear, they just use a really shitty/thin coat. some of the bikes you see without decals are bought off sites like bike island that sells unbadged tt framesets.

i have heard though that the clear on the frame is shitty enough that you can just heat it up with a blow dryer and carefully peel it up with a razor blade, i haven't tried it myself though because its my beater bike and i dont care enough to waste my time.
    I guess it could be, I'll try that. I thought it may be paint, because if you run your fingers over the letter, they are noticably raised, but I'll try the blow dryer thing....
    if the letters are noticably raised it is not paint! if it was paint you could not feel it. it is probably a vinyl decal.
    First thing to try is Goo Gone. Be patient. Let it dissolve the adhesive. Peel what you can, then go at it again with the Goo Gone.

However, there's probably someone near you who does powder coating. It's usually $75 - $100 for a frame.
    • CommentAuthorZ4N5H1N
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2008

Why the hell would you want to remove the decals, beyond the hipster-points garnered from having a frame that looks rattle-canned?
    Use a heat gun, a real heat gun and a credit card. Heat the decals until they get gooey and scrape with the credit card. Use some olive or vegetable oil to remove the leftover adhesive(just wipe it on there and let it sit for a few minutes and buff it off with a cloth. No paint damage using this method.
    Z4n5h1n, because it's his bike and he can take possession of it however he wants. Unless they're paying him as sponsors, he doesn't have to carry someone else's name.
    Z4N5H1N, if I was a hipster, I'd be riding a much nicer bike. Thanks for all the help! I tried the heatgun/credit card thing and it worked like a charm!
    Sweet.
    • CommentAuthoroxfarmer
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2008

Speaking of which, I'm curious what people have done in terms of painting their frames. I don't mean to threadjack but I'm glad your problem is solved!
    I've done some rattlecanning. Apparently, if you're very, very patient and get every layer of paint to cure between layers (a week or so, and you want 3 or 4 layers), then it works OK. I wasn't that patient and the paint chips whenever something untoward hits the frame, like a lock post, or its own stupid handlebars.

You can see some process pics of the Grey Fox over here.

Powdercoating usually costs about $75 to have it done, but it's extremely durable. My Jet Jaguar is powdercoated in matte black. That thing's taking all kinds of whacking and is still as matte and awesome as the day Jesse got it back to me.
    • CommentAuthoroxfarmer
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2008

That's good to know. I got a bright red KHS and I'm debating whether or not to get it powder coated. I like the color but sometimes it's too flashy for my personality. Also, I would have to go through an auto detailer to get a powder coat and I'm not confident that they won't dent the aluminum. Thanks for the tips!
    I have painted a few bikes in my time, and as was said before, be patient. Also, a bazillion clear coats really ups the durability of the job. It takes forever, which sucks. The idea is layers, don't try to get it all done at once. Keep putting on light coats, building up the color until you get it where you want.
    Oxfarmer, I don't imagine they'll dent the frame. They know how to handle parts unless they're total knobs.
    • CommentAuthoroxfarmer
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2008

It's not that they don't know how to handle parts, it's the fact that they don't have respect for anything other than cars. Anyway, I'm still debating what to do.
    My experience with mechanics of all stripes is that they get excited to work on things they don't usually work with.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.