velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthormuckymucky
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2011 edited

Has anyone been cheap enough to test out using a few layers of electrical tape as rim tape before?
    Did it ever last? Goo?
    • CommentAuthorveggie
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2011

Seems like a bad idea.
    No. It stretches and blows thru with high PSI tires. I even tried 4-5 layers before, and the tube pressed through and blew out into the spoke holes.

Bad idea. Spend the 3 dollars and get some rim tape.
    • CommentAuthorKevint143

never have had a problem
    Rim tape is cheap why not just buy it install it and forget about it?
    • CommentAuthorstinky pete

Strong duct tape or that clear packing tape with the fibers in it has worked well in my experiences.

However, there is little to be gained if you have much to lose. So, unless you’re just tinkering around with lower cost wheels at lower P.S.I., I’d just spend the money and use the right tool for the job with some real rim tape…
    • CommentAuthorheadphone

velox rim tape is, what, 4 bucks a roll?
    • CommentAuthorKevint143

Posted By: Kevint143never have had a problem

Let me re-phrase this...I have never had a problem with this before on cheap shitty Mountain bike wheels
    Posted By: terrible_one49No. It stretches and blows thru with high PSI tires. I even tried 4-5 layers before, and the tube pressed through and blew out into the spoke holes.

Bad idea. Spend the 3 dollars and get some rim tape.

this.
    • CommentAuthormuckymucky

^ there's no way you've tried this jon lol
    • CommentAuthorstevo564

At a pinch I have gotten away with ankle tape (actually worked well for over 2 yrs) in the past but better to get the real thing.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: muckymucky^ there's no way you've tried this jon lol

I tried it once, having heard it advocated not for cheapskate reasons, but for lightness reasons.

My experience was that if you stretched the tape tight enough to prevent folding (potential source of flats), the tension exceeded the strength of the adhesive, and the tape end detached from the underlying strip. Plus, the tape didn't adhere to the rim surface very well, so it slid around a little and made a mess. If you have to run multiple layers in order to get it to stick, you've eliminated the weight savings.

Rubber rim strips form a complete loop, and remain in place through elasticity. Cloth rim strips have stronger adhesive and greater structural stability. Electrician's tape has none of those properties, and the hole for the tube valve tends to make the tape break. It's hard to see the value in this proposition.

For weight savings and tidiness, you could try the Velocity Veloplugs - little plastic hole-fillers that pop-fit into the spoke hole. They're light, reusable, rot-proof (if it's not organic, it's hard to rot) and Velocity claims they'll resist up to 400psi blowout.
    I had MASSIVE problems with Veloplugs when I first started riding them. They would wear holes into my tubes, making it so I could only ride super thick, heavy tubes… defeating the purpose of trying to save 15 grams of rotation weight to begin with! They were also a pain-in-the-ass to remove.

After a year of throwing them away and going back to rim tape, I was building up a super light wheelset and wanted to give them another try. My experience with them was much more pleasant. They fit the spoke holes on the carbon Reynolds rims a lot better than the Deep V's I had prior. I took the risk of riding with Conti Supersonic tubes with them again, and been riding these tubes now since last summer with no flats.

Granted… you're only saving 15-20 grams per wheels, it's really pointless, but hey… why not? Since I put them in my wheels last summer, I've not had to remove them or even mess with them once.
    • CommentAuthorWilburito
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2011

I use gaff tape. Never had a problem.
    Gaffer's tape is about $18 a roll. Sure, you get a lot more, but I tend to use the stuff only a few inches at a time.
    • CommentAuthorpolitburo

t1 49, I dont understand how you can be saving 15 grams of weight by using plugs instead of rim tape. Are you suggesting that a single roll of rim tape can weigh >15 grams? I have no idea how much it weighs, but 15 grams seems really excessive.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock

Posted By: politburoI have no idea how much it weighs, but 15 grams seems really excessive.

For comparison purposes, 15 grams is about half an ounce. A 700c wheel's worth of Velox tape definitely weighs more than that.
    • CommentAuthorheadphone
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2011

Posted By: terrible_one49I had MASSIVE problems with Veloplugs when I first started riding them. They would wear holes into my tubes, making it so I could only ride super thick, heavy tubes… defeating the purpose of trying to save 15 grams of rotation weight to begin with! They were also a pain-in-the-ass to remove.

After a year of throwing them away and going back to rim tape, I was building up a super light wheelset and wanted to give them another try. My experience with them was much more pleasant. They fit the spoke holes on the carbon Reynolds rims a lot better than the Deep V's I had prior. I took the risk of riding with Conti Supersonic tubes with them again, and been riding these tubes now since last summer with no flats.

Granted… you're only saving 15-20 grams per wheels, it's really pointless, but hey… why not? Since I put them in my wheels last summer, I've not had to remove them or even mess with them once.

there are two versions of the veloplugs for different spoke hole sizes.
    • CommentAuthorpolitburo
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2011 edited

Posted By: eaglerock
    Posted By: politburoI have no idea how much it weighs, but 15 grams seems really excessive.

For comparison purposes, 15 grams is about half an ounce. A 700c wheel's worth of Velox tape definitely weighs more than that.

I was thinking about this, and 15 grams is the exact weight of 3 nickels. So, I guess it makes sense that a roll of tape would be more than that.

As to the OP's question, I dont think it's recommended but I've used electrical tape as rim tape more than once. I keep meaning to put real rim tape on there because I know its not and ideal solution, but I think in a pinch it is viable.
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2011

Posted By: headphonethere are two versions of the veloplugs for different spoke hole sizes.

That's a very recent development (within the last few months), which I only noticed yesterday when I went to Velocity's site for the link. The original plugs are the smaller/un-eyeletable red ones. I suppose the yellow eyelet models are a response to the popularity of the Synergy, which seems to be every wheelbuilder's go-to new rim for 650b.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.