velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorKimmo
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2011 edited

I've used electrical tape a few times... you have to put it on pretty tight, so it's already stretched about as far as it wants to stretch, and usually need to run one layer biased to one side and another layer on the other side, to prevent the edge of the tape migrating to the spoke holes when it's dimpled in.

Only works if you use the good stuff (eg Nitto), but survives 120PSI if you do it right.
    • CommentAuthorLegislator
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2011 edited

Electrical tape works great on single wall rims if the spokes don't poke through the backs of the nipples, it is all I used as a kid on my Schwinns.

Now that I have grown up bikes (kinda) pretty much the only thing I trust is cloth rim tape or something of equivalent strength and stickyness. I have some continental rim tape that is made of plastic and I have used it up to 160 psi with no problems, otherwise I really like the Neubaum's cloth tape, way better quality than shitbox velox (Neubaum's actually sticks to your rim) and usually the same price if not cheaper. Neubaum's cloth bar tape is also vastly superior to Velox.

Get the right tool for the job.
    Posted By: bensonisajewRim tape is cheap why not just buy it install it and forget about it?
    Posted By: politburot1 49, I dont understand how you can be saving 15 grams of weight by using plugs instead of rim tape. Are you suggesting that a single roll of rim tape can weigh >15 grams? I have no idea how much it weighs, but 15 grams seems really excessive.

I weighed the fond de jante I used on my Rush. It came out to something like 20g/wheel. If you want the exact number, it may be in the bike's build thread.

Anyway, as for the original question, I have seen people use duct tape, packing tape, electrical tape, etc. What TO_49 said is exactly right, and furthermore, using anything TOO wide for the rim causes problems with the bead seating in the rim. Also, it's going to be more difficult to apply it evenly, which could cause issues. So....

Posted By: bensonisajewRim tape is cheap why not just buy it install it and forget about it?

This is the real answer. Use the real thing. In a pinch, strong tape could work, but seriously, you're not saving any money or time by using anything but the thing made for what you're doing, you know?
    • CommentAuthorcyciumx
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2011

E-tape should be the quick fix on road for road tires at high PSI. if you are using it to save money then you're the same type of person that would split 2-ply tissue....My time is worth more than that savings...is yours?
    • CommentAuthorCeya

Using on my UNO now .

Used yrs ago when my bikes were clinchers.

Get the tape that is thick. roll through twice.

S/F,
    CEYA!
    • CommentAuthorrollins

But then you don't get that "new tape" smell
    • CommentAuthorKimmo
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2011

Using e-tape isn't just about pinching pennies; folks talking about the weight of the tape should take note that it's a question of applying however many layers of thin tape it takes to just do job; rather than putting on something that's easily thick enough to do a harder job.
    • CommentAuthorrelyt
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2011

i used to use electrical tape on my 27s because it was just the spoke nipples, and no holes and it worked perfectly fine. i tried it on my velocity's with holes for the spokes and didnt work for more than 2 rides. even with several layers. i dont know if the holes made the difference or the tape sliding.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.