velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthorjesmerl
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2010 edited

i remember seeing that GT a little while back.
    same bike different wheels
    http://blog.thecgk.com/photo/1280/2090267307/1/tumblr_lcwdwt6zkf1qbpwwi

i dont know how to embed
    • CommentAuthorMancha150
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2010

It has a wierd geometry in terms of sizing. I read somewhere that the medium has a 56cm top tube and a 52cm seat tube, which would explain the exaggeration above. So that would mean the large has a 58cm TT and 54cm seat tube?
    • CommentAuthoreaglerock
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2010 edited

Posted By: jesmerli remember seeing that GT a little while back.
    same bike different wheels
    http://blog.thecgk.com/photo/1280/2090267307/1/tumblr_lcwdwt6zkf1qbpwwi

i dont know how to embed

Like this:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_lcwdwt6zkf1qbpwwio1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0RYTHV9YYQ4W5Q3HQMG2&Expires=1292713350&Signature=LmvqITwPq%2BGvyI1ZO846dihsUIc%3D

Normally, you copy the address of the actual photo (which almost always ends with .jpg or .jpeg) and post the address, without any special HTML tags. In this case, there's a lot of extra yakety-yak afterwards, because the photo's on some password-authorized hosting service that's tracking viewers.

Just to make sure I understand the terminology everyone's using: When y'all say "reverse slope", do you mean the top tube is higher at the head tube end than the seat tube end, AKA what the industry calls "compact geometry"? And when you say "forward slope", you mean the head tube end is lower, AKA pursuit geometry?

I'm with T_O on this; I don't understand what the beef with compact geometry is, beyond being "not traditional". Almost everything except lugged steel is made with some degree of compact geo. I've only owned one road bike with compact geometry (the modestly compact Fuji Roubaix SL), but it was a stiff, quick bike that took off like a rocket.
    my argument here is that if the intent here is to re-release a frame that GT used to produce, i assume because GT is aware of how much people still like the pulse and how sought after it is in the secondary market, why then would they make a bike that does not look like, is not shaped like, and has very little besides its tripple triangle design in common with the pulse? that looks like a trek T1 more than it looks like a pulse. if something was popular and you want to capitalize on that popularity, you don't re-design the thing, you give the people what you already know they want, the original Gt Pulse, with the same geometry and same black color and minimal branding and 1" headtube because people are tracking those old frames down for a reason. if they wanted a T1 they could have been buying those all along. this is what i don't understand.
    Posted By: terrible_one49the smaller sizes do have a slight rear sloping top tube

Yeah my 04 Concept top tube slopes down a little
    • CommentAuthorparkman14
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2010

I think these looks awesome, the tube shapes are pretty cool.
    I bet if you guys had one or saw one in person you'd feel the same!
    The headtube is realllly beefy. The welds look sweet, too.
    i guess i'm the lone nay-sayer then. whoever wants to buy one of these, i'd gladly take your original pulse off your hands.
    • CommentAuthorparkman14
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2010

Haha, yeah, me too.
    Meh

• CommentAuthorMancha150
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2010

I emailed the "kiwi" store to see if they ship internationally, but they did not respond. Their FAQs state that shipping is only to australia or nationally. So looks like we can only stare and comment for now...
    • CommentAuthorf64
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2010

Idea for a new model of the GT Pulse for good $ assuming from the predecessor's demands = new gt pulse = disappointing
    • CommentAuthorparkman14

i think that looks okay. minus bars/straps
    • CommentAuthorKevint143

I feel like that bike looks a lot like the Giant Omnium i had with a tripple Triangle
    • CommentAuthordanzap209
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2011

What is it about the original Pulse that makes it superior? I believe that each design has it's merits... the old Pulse may fit someone better but the new one could do the same for another,
    • CommentAuthorKevint143

I think it's the same idea as re-makes in anything. It's not the original so it doesn't seem as "cool" it's kind of like the mustang or camero re-makes. Yeah it has the same name but is not the same bike. I have no problem with the new model other than the logos everywhere and Colorway. The frame may be amazing....but at the end of the day it's not the original.

/my two cents
    The original is only so desired because it's become one of those cult-classic frames. It's simple, reliable, clean and a well-proven design that has withstood the test of time over the past 10 years.

I guess the new one should not be seen as a re-issue, but a new bike completely to keep up with the current trends of the bike market.

Now if you want a REAL re-issue frame, keep an eye out for the Cinelli Lazer.
    • CommentAuthordanzap209

The Cinelli Laser is not a just a marketing ploy. It is a a reintroduction of a jewel in the Cinelli crown.
    • CommentAuthorR preme
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2011

I really like the original GT pulse better.
    Don't get me wrong, but I do understand what Huxtable is saying. It's almost like the Cannondale track frame set. They now come out with Capo and what not, but if hey made the previous versions of their track bikes, they would be rolling in green. Although, I'm certain the reason why they had made this GT Pulse is to keep up with the latest sizing and measurements. I mean, I own a MErcier Kilo TT and they have been made with 1" threadless fork, stem, and headset. It's hard finding anything for the bike. But what can I do with it? I'm trying to buy a bike that is more modern so I can find common sized parts. Also, for my size and what I want to use it for.

I like this bike and someone had built this into a track bike used only for the track and it's one of my favorite builds.
    Sadly, there is no track or velodrome here in Nevada. Only California is the closest.
    • CommentAuthorheadydude
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2012

Butt-ugly (as compared to the original).

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.