velospace is about bikes and the people who ride them marketplace photos random forums

• CommentAuthormeatman
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2011

Posted By: VamaI have a front aero rim that needs to be trued

if your talking about an AeroJoke, you're outta luck son!
    • CommentAuthorVama

aero section, not a 'spork! and not really that deep, in the 20's or 30's? the Alex rim came stock on the San Jose. it was a nasty crash, I'm glad that both the bike and I came out so unscathed. I only had to quit riding for a week, which surprised me, because I slammed really hard and was in worse immediate pain than when I hit the ground going full speed like two years ago and cracked a rib.
    • CommentAuthormeatman

yeah man, crashing sucks! it's my least favorite part about riding a bike. But, as they say, chicks dig scars!!
    • CommentAuthorf64

Mavic Open Pro rims
    • CommentAuthorVama

was that for me? if so, yeah that would be a choice if I could find a rear track wheel only, built for ~$150. thing is, it's my whole family's unemployed asses scraping together for birthday and xmas gifts (this will be the only thing I get from anyone) and since my dad is gonna pay for the bulk of it (I'm currently on General Assistance, which pays $22 more than my rent a month), he needs to just be able to order the thing, and buying rims and hubs, etc. will just confuse him, but I need to unkludge my setup, since I have parts from both of my bikes currently thrown together.... once I can put the San Jose's rear wheel back on it I can deal with it's issues while I ride the Fuji.
    • CommentAuthorf64

Tell him to just give you the money so you can order it yourself.
    • CommentAuthorVama

he'd rather buy the thing and ship it to me so he feels like he did something concrete, ya know?
    You could go to a bike shop together, or order parts online if you want to. That way, you get to have time with your dad and he knows you're getting what you need. You might even get some bonding time while you explain what's cool about it.

Also: when building bikes, I always hit up Ebay first. It's amazing what some people consider worthless. I got a wheel with a fucked out hub, but perfectly true Mavic rim that had never been trued for $5. I delaced it and built a new wheel out of it. It was a $90 rim. I did what I could to resuscitate the hub, but no one sold parts for it. Still, $90 for $5.

I also got an Ultegra rear derailleur for $20 because "Ultegra" was silkscreened on, and it was only barely visible after use. I think the guy sold it because you couldn't read it any more. I've been using that derailleur for years now.

I got a Trek 7500 frame for $20, too. The BB was fucked, so I had it rechased for $10. That bike's too long for me, unfortunately, but it's not a bad city bike for someone who's 2" taller than I am.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

http://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com/road/fixed/single-spd-track/mavic-open-pro-formula-fixed/fw-custom/prod_59.html

About 150 for an open pro rim laced to a formula hub. Silver sealed hub with a silver rim, different colored rim, nipples, hub, or spokes are extra.
    • CommentAuthorVama
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2011

I feel you Joshua, and that's what I'd be looking at with my own money, but my Dad wants to help out his 30-something kid with something he can know is a solid piece of equipment, cuz he knows I ride all day every day, and he can identify with that in kind of a car way, ya know? ... I kinda feel like when I was in my early 20's, he just gave me cash but now he wants to give me something of value that he can buy in one piece, and now in this economic climate we are both broke as shit. veggie, the Open Pro says $210??
    • CommentAuthorquidose

Christmas was last year.
    • CommentAuthorveggie

Posted By: Vamaveggie, the Open Pro says $210??

Look through the options, you have to select "no rear wheel".
    • CommentAuthoruhler

buy lighter components.

\

velospace | about, FAQ & policies | contact | blog | status | site map
© 2005-2011 velospace. All Rights Reserved.